I'm sure it's a nice suit. However, the sleeves are a bit short, those collars are much too open, and the overall effect is one of "LOOK AT ALL MY FUCKING MONEY!"
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Phineas Cole Suit - 38/32 Last post on 12/11/13 at 7:52am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
- Phineas Cole Suit - Blue Pinstripe 38 / 32 Last post on 6/4/13 at 10:02pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BBBF Suits versus Paul Stuart Suits? Last post on 12/5/12 at 9:57pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart Custom? Last post on 6/30/15 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Why no love for the three piece suit? - Page 12
Styleforum Top Pickspost #167 of 32912/14/12 at 7:55am
Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by iroh
3 piece suits are for people with inferior bodies, those who have to layer lots of clothes to look good. If you can look in a 2 piece suit you will be in much better shape since you have a better body. Better to have a nice body than nice clothes. Even better to have both.
I think that is not correct. My next suit is going to be like this one:
I don't know about Spoo's build (body type) but the three piece suit doesn't look bad at all.post #168 of 32912/14/12 at 7:57amQuote:
I like the design or pattern or fabric (don't know how to call it) of the first one, but it is probably as a short as the second one.post #169 of 32912/14/12 at 12:08pmQuote:
I'm guessing that the models are around 6ft and in regulars. I tried on some of the PC suits at PS today for the first time and a long fit me well, just a little longer than the ones pictured. The most important part was that the sleeves actually were the right length. I've always found that if the sleeves start out too short then the body is guaranteed to be too short.post #170 of 32912/14/12 at 12:26pmQuote:
looks very unsexy. if that is the look you are going for, then the 3 piece suit is what you need!
(he is too skinny to wear a 3 peice suit well).
Edited by iroh - 12/14/12 at 12:57pmpost #171 of 32912/14/12 at 12:44pmAs mentioned before, there's always a risk that a 3-piece suit will resemble a 'costume' as opposed to a 'suit' if it's too garish. I think the PS suit above has a nice and relatively conservative colour and pattern, but the shirt and tie tip it into costume territory.
In the work place, the 'Wallstreet' look can project professionalism and seriousness. Dressing like Gatsby will only make you stand out in a less than ideal way imho.post #172 of 32912/14/12 at 12:50pmpost #173 of 32912/14/12 at 2:33pm
A three piece is a difficult thing to pull off. It doesn't work for every body type - especially, when it makes the person look young (big head, chubbiness, narrow shoulders).
John Slattery (Roger Sterling) is a well built man - no homo - he was seen in the current Mad Men season's finale, standing naked in front of a window, high on LSD. I dare say his level of fitness surpasses that of 99% of the users on SF. And he's around 50. Paired with his gray hair and bossy attitude, he makes the three piece work for him perfectly.
As for Spoo's pic, there are two things to be considered: Spoo is in good shape (supposedly, judging from other pics he's posted) and he's wearing Tom Ford.post #174 of 32912/14/12 at 3:38pmEvery single breasted suit I've had made since going MTM has had a vest. I love the way it looks, and with the jacket closed the vest is subtle. I wear them so often that it isn't anything unusual to me at this point - I almost feel unusual without a vest!
The "rules" are similar to a double breasted suit: fit is crucial, dark colors and/or conservative patterns are easier to pull off, and confidence is key. Though I understand why someone in an entry level position would not want to wear a vest to avoid any chance of sticking out, it's not like showing up to work in a neon green suit.
In my experience - and again pretty much all of my suits are in dark and/or conservative colors - how I act has more of an effect on how I am perceived than whether or not I am wearing a vest.
Believe me, if I thought my appearance was having a negative effect at work I would ditch the vests. I love windowpanes on others, but have no windowpane suits myself because I don't think I could wear them at work without sticking out in a negative fashion.post #175 of 32912/16/12 at 6:48pmpost #176 of 32912/16/12 at 7:36pm
Why wouldn't someone get a 3 piece? It's a suit, a suit with a vest, slacks, sports coat, vest, any combo you want it to be. Almost all of mine are 3 pieces just so I have the option any time.
I love the 3 piece. And in Phoenix, it's often too hot for a jacket so a vest is formal enough.post #177 of 32912/16/12 at 10:04pmI only wear three piece. Fit and style are always important, in a two piece or a three, so I don't see a reason to single out the three. That PS number is not my cup of tea, but I beyond style issues, the model has all these demure poses - looking down, looking away, etc. You wear a pattern like that and you need to own it. He's not and it shows. Like fit, confidence always matters.
Being tall, a three piece lets me buy any length tie as the shortness is hidden by the vest.. You don't realize how great that is unless you have the problem.
Here's how you can rock the 3-piece in the heat while being skinny:
Have a laugh and then check out the sleeve length. Google some other pics too.post #178 of 32912/16/12 at 10:14pmpost #179 of 32912/17/12 at 6:49ampost #180 of 32912/17/12 at 7:22amIn reading some of the comments in this thread, and as the owner of no less than seven three-piece suits, I believe that I can weigh in on this subject.
One doesn't need to be particularly tall, thin or athletic to wear one (I'm 5'9", and though not especially fat, not skinny either), though one's torso shouldn't be bulging out in the middle (a prominent gut is a particular no-no with this look).
Fit is important, as is "owning" the look - if you believe that you look natural in a three-piece suit, you will look natural.
I wear them in cooler months to the office (on days when it's a bit cool for a two-piece, but not so cold as to need an overcoat, a three-piece is very useful), as I would a two-piece suit. There is only one of my three-piece suits which I reserve for "special" occasions, as it is a very deep navy blue, and has very bold rope stripes (bought from New & Lingwood in London - it's quite an eyeful, but does require an occasion to be seen in it).
As it is, I'm wearing one today, and I've posted photos in WAYWRN of me in it, so check it out, and decide for yourselves.
- Why no love for the three piece suit?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 41 seconds ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Pay to vote... 3 minutes ago
- › Motorcycles 3 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 3 minutes ago
- › The Grad Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Ring Jacket Japan Proxy via Sprout2 (RTW/MTO/MTM) 3 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...