I'm sure it's a nice suit. However, the sleeves are a bit short, those collars are much too open, and the overall effect is one of "LOOK AT ALL MY FUCKING MONEY!"
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Phineas Cole Suit - 38/32 Last post on 12/11/13 at 7:52am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
- Phineas Cole Suit - Blue Pinstripe 38 / 32 Last post on 6/4/13 at 10:02pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BBBF Suits versus Paul Stuart Suits? Last post on 12/5/12 at 9:57pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart Custom? Last post on 3/5/17 at 7:36pm in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Why no love for the three piece suit? - Page 12post #167 of 33012/14/12 at 7:55am
Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by iroh
3 piece suits are for people with inferior bodies, those who have to layer lots of clothes to look good. If you can look in a 2 piece suit you will be in much better shape since you have a better body. Better to have a nice body than nice clothes. Even better to have both.
I think that is not correct. My next suit is going to be like this one:
I don't know about Spoo's build (body type) but the three piece suit doesn't look bad at all.post #168 of 33012/14/12 at 7:57amQuote:
I like the design or pattern or fabric (don't know how to call it) of the first one, but it is probably as a short as the second one.post #169 of 33012/14/12 at 12:08pmQuote:
I'm guessing that the models are around 6ft and in regulars. I tried on some of the PC suits at PS today for the first time and a long fit me well, just a little longer than the ones pictured. The most important part was that the sleeves actually were the right length. I've always found that if the sleeves start out too short then the body is guaranteed to be too short.post #170 of 33012/14/12 at 12:26pmQuote:
looks very unsexy. if that is the look you are going for, then the 3 piece suit is what you need!
(he is too skinny to wear a 3 peice suit well).
Edited by iroh - 12/14/12 at 12:57pmpost #171 of 33012/14/12 at 12:44pmAs mentioned before, there's always a risk that a 3-piece suit will resemble a 'costume' as opposed to a 'suit' if it's too garish. I think the PS suit above has a nice and relatively conservative colour and pattern, but the shirt and tie tip it into costume territory.
In the work place, the 'Wallstreet' look can project professionalism and seriousness. Dressing like Gatsby will only make you stand out in a less than ideal way imho.post #172 of 33012/14/12 at 12:50pmpost #173 of 33012/14/12 at 2:33pm
A three piece is a difficult thing to pull off. It doesn't work for every body type - especially, when it makes the person look young (big head, chubbiness, narrow shoulders).
John Slattery (Roger Sterling) is a well built man - no homo - he was seen in the current Mad Men season's finale, standing naked in front of a window, high on LSD. I dare say his level of fitness surpasses that of 99% of the users on SF. And he's around 50. Paired with his gray hair and bossy attitude, he makes the three piece work for him perfectly.
As for Spoo's pic, there are two things to be considered: Spoo is in good shape (supposedly, judging from other pics he's posted) and he's wearing Tom Ford.post #174 of 33012/14/12 at 3:38pmEvery single breasted suit I've had made since going MTM has had a vest. I love the way it looks, and with the jacket closed the vest is subtle. I wear them so often that it isn't anything unusual to me at this point - I almost feel unusual without a vest!
The "rules" are similar to a double breasted suit: fit is crucial, dark colors and/or conservative patterns are easier to pull off, and confidence is key. Though I understand why someone in an entry level position would not want to wear a vest to avoid any chance of sticking out, it's not like showing up to work in a neon green suit.
In my experience - and again pretty much all of my suits are in dark and/or conservative colors - how I act has more of an effect on how I am perceived than whether or not I am wearing a vest.
Believe me, if I thought my appearance was having a negative effect at work I would ditch the vests. I love windowpanes on others, but have no windowpane suits myself because I don't think I could wear them at work without sticking out in a negative fashion.post #175 of 33012/16/12 at 6:48pmpost #176 of 33012/16/12 at 7:36pm
Why wouldn't someone get a 3 piece? It's a suit, a suit with a vest, slacks, sports coat, vest, any combo you want it to be. Almost all of mine are 3 pieces just so I have the option any time.
I love the 3 piece. And in Phoenix, it's often too hot for a jacket so a vest is formal enough.post #177 of 33012/16/12 at 10:04pmI only wear three piece. Fit and style are always important, in a two piece or a three, so I don't see a reason to single out the three. That PS number is not my cup of tea, but I beyond style issues, the model has all these demure poses - looking down, looking away, etc. You wear a pattern like that and you need to own it. He's not and it shows. Like fit, confidence always matters.
Being tall, a three piece lets me buy any length tie as the shortness is hidden by the vest.. You don't realize how great that is unless you have the problem.
Here's how you can rock the 3-piece in the heat while being skinny:
Have a laugh and then check out the sleeve length. Google some other pics too.post #178 of 33012/16/12 at 10:14pmpost #179 of 33012/17/12 at 6:49ampost #180 of 33012/17/12 at 7:22amIn reading some of the comments in this thread, and as the owner of no less than seven three-piece suits, I believe that I can weigh in on this subject.
One doesn't need to be particularly tall, thin or athletic to wear one (I'm 5'9", and though not especially fat, not skinny either), though one's torso shouldn't be bulging out in the middle (a prominent gut is a particular no-no with this look).
Fit is important, as is "owning" the look - if you believe that you look natural in a three-piece suit, you will look natural.
I wear them in cooler months to the office (on days when it's a bit cool for a two-piece, but not so cold as to need an overcoat, a three-piece is very useful), as I would a two-piece suit. There is only one of my three-piece suits which I reserve for "special" occasions, as it is a very deep navy blue, and has very bold rope stripes (bought from New & Lingwood in London - it's quite an eyeful, but does require an occasion to be seen in it).
As it is, I'm wearing one today, and I've posted photos in WAYWRN of me in it, so check it out, and decide for yourselves.
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 4 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 5 minutes ago
- › What trousers w/ grey suede loafers? 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 8 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 8 minutes ago
- › What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately? 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 12 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...