or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Storing you shoes: Bags or no bags?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Storing you shoes: Bags or no bags? - Page 3

post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossoso
@ Tomasso: Uh-oh, did I say something stupid or pretentious?
I've grown weary of the Black Shoe Bias that has permeated these MB's. Its mantra is nauseating.
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
No. I found that newsprint paper (not the newspaper, just stock brown paper), does wonders for maintaining a creaseless leather plane.

Do you wad the paper into a ball and stuff it in?
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC
Do you wad the paper into a ball and stuff it in?

I put shoe trees in immediately after taking them off and in the bags, then straight into the box. What am I doing wrong? The shoes trees immediately, in the bag after that, or in the box?
post #34 of 57
I store my shoes in a variety of ways. All the shoes that came with shoe bags are placed in those when they're not being worn and placed back in their original boxes. The others are in Container Store clear boxes and in over-door shoe racks.

The former (those in boxes) have shoe trees inserted, while the latter have shoe trees inserted for moisture absorption during the first 24 hours, then they're removed (keeping them in all the over-door shoes places too much weight and pressure on the shoe racks, I tried this and it didn't work out)
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I put shoe trees in immediately after taking them off and in the bags, then straight into the box. What am I doing wrong? The shoes trees immediately, in the bag after that, or in the box?

I would let them air at least overnight with shoe trees in before I put them in the bags and box.

The wad and stuff method under discussion is for unworn shoes, or perhaps shoes being seasonally stored.
post #36 of 57
Like Tomasso I store the active rotation on shoe shelves with trees inserted.

Out of season shoes are in another closet, in bags. Sets of bags are also stored in each suitcase, for packing purposes.
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I've grown weary of the Black Shoe Bias that has permeated these MB's. Its mantra is nauseating.

Noted, especially as the one black pair of shoes I did buy are incredibly beautiful. The black has very subtle undertones of blue and gold which make for a much more pleasing aesthetic than I can possibly describe. I would still choose a brown over a matte/flat black anyday though. But I'll try to lay off the black shoe bashing in general, I know when done right they can hold their own with any color in the spectrum.
post #38 of 57
OK, we all do it our own way. Perfect. But I suppose there must be someone around who knows - or thinks he knows - what really is best for precious shoes.

Who dares?

Paul
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I put shoe trees in immediately after taking them off and in the bags, then straight into the box. What am I doing wrong? The shoes trees immediately, in the bag after that, or in the box?
What you want to do is, put them in the box first. Then, once they're in the box, put them in the bags. Once you've got them in the bags inside the boxes, put the shoe trees in. It takes a certain amount of practice to do it in this order, but it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemazel
OK, we all do it our own way. Perfect. But I suppose there must be someone around who knows - or thinks he knows - what really is best for precious shoes.

Who dares?


Seriously, there's no right answer (aside from trees, which are a must). It depends on where you store your shoes, how liable they are to damage between wearings, etc. I think though that even those who use boxes or boxes and bags or bags would acknowledge that these measures do not rise to the same level of necessity as trees.
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
What you want to do is, put them in the box first. Then, once they're in the box, put them in the bags. Once you've got them in the bags inside the boxes, put the shoe trees in. It takes a certain amount of practice to do it in this order, but it's worth it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
Seriously, there's no right answer (aside from trees, which are a must). It depends on where you store your shoes, how liable they are to damage between wearings, etc. I think though that even those who use boxes or boxes and bags or bags would acknowledge that these measures do not rise to the same level of necessity as trees.

+1
post #41 of 57
gonna give this thread a bump, since i just found it incredibly useful; had just purchased my first pair of quality black shoes, and was curious about storage (specifically, the bags the shoes came with).

i think what i'll do is go with the tree / bag / box storage
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
See 'em. I save the bags for travel and the like. But mostly the bags just sit in a big pile.

+1. Keep mine folded up in a closet until I need them for travels.
post #43 of 57
I keep them in the bags to keep them from gathering dust.
post #44 of 57
bump
post #45 of 57
yes to storing your shoes in bags. its been my experience that some shoes will scrape against one another leaving the vamp area with scratches. but with that said, I will only store them in bags if the shoes come with bags. an exception would be high end shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Storing you shoes: Bags or no bags?