• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney Shoes - pics and discussion

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheaneys are prob the price/construction sweet spot for mid-range bench-made RTW English shoes. Very solid and great value for money, more like Trickers than Green or GG for example. A recent post by Theyare (bottom) in the Shoe damage thread shows they can do some pretty nice looking stuff too, even Berluti-like in their finishing. Their burnishing is nice too, and they have followed the AS and GG trend and recently brought out the Imperial range with fiddle waists. I got onto em thru a book, the main character in the Jack Reacher series wears them and even compares them favourably with Churchs and other English -made shoes.

Tenterden, pebblegrain bluchers
HastingsDay030.jpg

Theyare's Imperials (sorry don't know which)
IMG_3258.jpg

anyone else got some of these no nonsense beauties?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
Their burnishing is nice too, and they have followed the AS and GG trend and recently brought out the Imperial range with fiddle waists.

in general. do you think this is a smart move or even a trend, which will disappear?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
in general. do you think this is a smart move or even a trend, which will disappear?

Doesn't matter. It is an indication of quality workmanship. In general, why do high-end shoe makers take the time to add the fiddle? Marcell uses it... and he makes some top notch shoes. You would have a point if Stacy Adams added fiddles.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not much going for this as a 'function' - the fiddle waist is an aesthetic conceit; the beveled waist also, but if shoes were only about function we'd all be wearing trainers. Haven't seen any evidence that the fiddle waist reduces strength or function ..

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
very pleased with my cheaneys:
]

these rock! look robust too
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Doesn't matter. It is an indication of quality workmanship. In general, why do high-end shoe makers take the time to add the fiddle? Marcell uses it... and he makes some top notch shoes. You would have a point if Stacy Adams added fiddles.
+1 - Fritzl u could make the same objection to brogueing, pinking, closed channel stitching and shoe color too. But all these little details elevate a piece of leather that protects your foot to a work of art, or at least a thing of beauty with high artisanal value. Just a question of which skills and aesthetic qualities you value and which skills and aesthetic qualities you don't IMO. I would hate a trend to make all shoes of ostrich leather or stingray, for example, although I could respect the skill required to do it.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I hope so.

gives me a chuckle. i know what "we" are talking about.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not much going for this as a 'function' - the fiddle waist is an aesthetic conceit; the beveled waist also, but if shoes were only about function we'd all be wearing trainers. Haven't seen any evidence that the fiddle waist reduces strength or function ..
imo, this is a very plain observation, anyway. for me it's more about the pedigree and heritage of the maker and the school he is dedicated to.
Fritzl u could make the same objection to brogueing, pinking, closed channel stitching and shoe color too. But all these little details elevate a piece of leather that protects your foot to a work of art, or at least a thing of beauty with high artisanal value.
what's pinking? come on. do you really think so?
Just a question of which skills and aesthetic qualities you value and which skills and aesthetic qualities you don't IMO. I would hate a trend to make all shoes of ostrich leather or stingray, for example, although I could respect the skill required to do it.
first, i value a well made pair of shoes and the quality of the materials. second, i value the authenticity of a "brand" opposite to "me too" products. the market and the customers will give the answer.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imo, this is a very plain observation, anyway. for me it's more about the pedigree and heritage of the maker and the school he is dedicated to. what's pinking? come on. do you really think so? first, i value a well made pair of shoes and the quality of the materials. second, i value the authenticity of a "brand" opposite to "me too" products. the market and the customers will give the answer.
you jest.. pinking? = saw-tooth edge, like Vass tongue top edge Agreed the Cheaney fiddle is 'me too', but even 'authentic' may evolve. Cheaney's forte is classic English styles with v. robust thick and broad sole. Fiddle is not necessary for them, but perhaps they need to sell some fashionable shoes to keep afloat. As for authenticity, Did you know that Cheaney was recently purchased by the Church bros ? - so at least they are still English -owned and still based in Northhampton. I don't know where the fiddle waist originated - Lobb Ltd? - but I think it is an authentic English feature that I don't hate too much. I wouldn't buy a shoe just for a fiddle waist, and in fact I only have one.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they use this suede for any lace ups in the imperial collection ?

Leather man

Reaction score
I agree that Cheaney's in general are at a good price/quality/value point on the curve. I disagree that those Tenterdens are good shoes. In fact one of the things I have against Cheaney is their country shoes - especially Deal and Tenterden - the grain leather is too thin and flimsy as one can see from the photos - I know what I am talking about I own two pairs ( big mistake). However, their top range calf leather shoes can be quite nice and Herrings Premier very nice. So for me, Cheaney are a mixed bag but I am watching them closely to see what happens to them over the next five years as the Church's ownership continues to renew the company. Those Imperials look very nice by the way but I've never handled a pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads