or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cheaney Shoes - pics and discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheaney Shoes - pics and discussion - Page 2

post #16 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc1 View Post
Cheaney Ethans in black polish. I wish the toebox was a little less roomy, but other than that, I love these shoes.

noice.
6 eyes? dig the socks
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
noice.
6 eyes? dig the socks
Thanks! I like the 6-eye a bit more than the standard 5 - only a bit, mind. The socks are from Turnbull & Asser - I love the electric blue.
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
you jest.. pinking? = saw-tooth edge, like Vass tongue top edge
no you mean this procedure:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
as far as i remember this is called "stuppen" in german. doc holliday always referred to this as "wheeling", when i'm not mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
Agreed the Cheaney fiddle is 'me too', but even 'authentic' may evolve. Cheaney's forte is classic English styles with v. robust thick and broad sole. Fiddle is not necessary for them, but perhaps they need to sell some fashionable shoes to keep afloat. As for authenticity, Did you know that Cheaney was recently purchased by the Church bros ? - so at least they are still English -owned and still based in Northhampton.
i hear you walking... i anticipated this fact, cannot evaluate it, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
I don't know where the fiddle waist originated - Lobb Ltd? - but I think it is an authentic English feature that I don't hate too much. I wouldn't buy a shoe just for a fiddle waist, and in fact I only have one.
dunno either, never interested, though. don't hate it. it's not my cup of tea. i can value a hand carved one on a custom-/handmade shoe. the rtw-version is a different animal. whether the sole becomes lickable... what a bollocks.
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc1 View Post
Cheaney Ethans in black polish. I wish the toebox was a little less roomy, but other than that, I love these shoes.

i don't see the roominess. imo, they're just too long. a customized insole could help you out a little. a talk to your cobbler would be a smart move.
post #20 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post
no

you mean this procedure:

as far as i remember this is called "stuppen" in german. doc holliday always referred to this as "wheeling", when i'm not mistaken.



i hear you walking... i anticipated this fact, cannot evaluate it, though.



dunno either, never interested, though.

don't hate it. it's not my cup of tea. i can value a hand carved one on a custom-/handmade shoe. the rtw-version is a different animal. whether the sole becomes lickable... what a bollocks.

i like this !

pinking = from saw tooth shears, not on the sole, on the upper - that's my understanding.

Cheaney's forte is not the fiddle waist, but the rustic burnished scotch-grain with heavy sole. This I like.
post #21 of 46
Pinking is used on gemming.

post #22 of 46
Nice shot of the gemming on pg 36 of the brochure.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
i like this !

you're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
pinking = from saw tooth shears, not on the sole, on the upper - that's my understanding.

ah, ok. it's very popular in the austrian-hungarian school. i have it done on a majority of my custom made numbers. never asked, what's it called, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
Cheaney's forte is not the fiddle waist, but the rustic burnished scotch-grain with heavy sole. This I like.

+1
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny
Cheaney's forte is not the fiddle waist, but the rustic burnished scotch-grain with heavy sole.
I agree.
post #25 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
Pinking is used on gemming.
EGs are very pinked I believe
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
EGs are very pinked I believe
Troof:
post #27 of 46
I've got a pair of Herring Churchills made by cheaney in 8.5G....... After a lil bit of wear and tear, do you reckon the creases in pictures below indicate that I should size up to a 9G instead? I'm concerned about the creases near the arch as I actually wear orthothic insoles inside and am wondering if it's actually contributing to it.

Attachment 67544Attachment 67545

Does anyone reckon I should size up half a size to 9G? I would like a little more room for my foot and orthotics I'm just a little worried if the heel may get a little roomier resulting in a loose fit towards the heel. FYI, I did try a derby on the same last but in a size 9F (slightly tighter, but not unbearably tight)
LL
LL
post #28 of 46
post #29 of 46
Cheaney is in that sucky middle ground: Crockett & Jones price minus $100, nothing interesting in lasts, some awkward upper designs, can't try them on in the US, middling quality (slightly worse than Alden IMO). In almost every case I'd rather spend another 20% and buy CJ...

If I'm being cheap I wait for BB sales.

If you are in the UK where Cheaneys are easier to get, then they might be a good value
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ff3z8e View Post
I've got a pair of Herring Churchills made by cheaney in 8.5G....... After a lil bit of wear and tear, do you reckon the creases in pictures below indicate that I should size up to a 9G instead? I'm concerned about the creases near the arch as I actually wear orthothic insoles inside and am wondering if it's actually contributing to it.

Attachment 67544Attachment 67545

Does anyone reckon I should size up half a size to 9G? I would like a little more room for my foot and orthotics I'm just a little worried if the heel may get a little roomier resulting in a loose fit towards the heel. FYI, I did try a derby on the same last but in a size 9F (slightly tighter, but not unbearably tight)

The 11028 last they're built on is generous - there looks to be a bit too much room in those - I think an F fit would make more sense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cheaney Shoes - pics and discussion