or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Best inexpensive jeans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best inexpensive jeans? - Page 7

post #91 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeReynolds View Post


Show me jeans with a price vs quality ratio that is comparable to the jeans from Wal Mart, then I'll be glad to buy them, even if they are nominally more expensive. I'm more than willing to pay for quality.

I'm not a fan of Veblen because his ideas, like much "progressive" ideology, is founded on petty resentments.

Some people are inspired by the achievements of others. They look at the success of others as proof that they can achieve their own goals. Then there are those who react negatively to other people's success because they subconsciously believe that to win themselves, other people have to lose. They then spin elaborate rationalizations to justify this character flaw. The politically motivated among them seek to manipulate the state into a great regulator and arbiter of fortune and success where no achievement goes unpunished - with themselves at the top and in charge of course. One of my favorite short stories by Kurt Vonnegut does a great job of describing the logical conclusion of such desires: Harrison Bergeron

That being said, the term conspicuous consumption is apt in that it accurately describes the use of consumer goods as social signals and shibboleths. This then ties in to the way that companies attempt to manipulate their image and branding so as to control the social signals that are associated with their products. The people buying and displaying these products are in turn trying to use them to manipulate their own personal brand and image so as to control how other people think and feel about them. It goes round and round and never ends. Anyone not playing the game loses by default.

I don't have a problem with any of that. It would be hard to since I do it myself. So does everyone else from every background and walk of life. A biker who wants to be accepted by other bikers doesn't go into the clubhouse dressed for a job interview at a bank, not even on Halloween.

What I do find fault with are people who think that the way to increase their own brand equity is by using products just because they are known to be expensive. They just look childish to me. Nicer things tend to cost more money, but not all things that cost more money are nicer, or worth the money they cost. Likewise not everything that is inexpensive is of low quality.

If, as you say, the jeans endorsed here are promoted based on quality, and not as denim based bling, then I'm glad to hear it.

Styleforum's purpose is pretty clearly put forth in the name; it's a forum about style and fashion. This has been brought up other places, but fabric/quality of the materials is only one aspect of fashion; you can wear fabrics of the highest quality, rock jawnz with peek-a-boo selvedge, hidden rivets, and japanese hand-weaved natural dyed fabric, but if it looks like crap, what's the point?

I'm not going to argue for or against the quality of Faded Glory; you seem happy with it, you accept what it is, that's fine. But I'd be damned if the fit - the look - is in any way comparable to something like APC or N&F. If you don't care about that, then maybe you're on the wrong forum.

Also, talking politics in SW&D and making ad hominem attacks on senior members is going to make you lots of friends around here.
post #92 of 105
I've been extremely happy with many pairs of jeans I've purchased for $15, division 7 being the latest example: I'd love to try APC's at some point, but I've got so many nice jeans I paid so little money for, it makes me reluctant to make the leap in price.
post #93 of 105
can people with div7s post fit pic
post #94 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeReynolds View Post


Show me jeans with a price vs quality ratio that is comparable to the jeans from Wal Mart, then I'll be glad to buy them, even if they are nominally more expensive. I'm more than willing to pay for quality.

I'm not a fan of Veblen because his ideas, like much "progressive" ideology, is founded on petty resentments.

Some people are inspired by the achievements of others. They look at the success of others as proof that they can achieve their own goals. Then there are those who react negatively to other people's success because they subconsciously believe that to win themselves, other people have to lose. They then spin elaborate rationalizations to justify this character flaw. The politically motivated among them seek to manipulate the state into a great regulator and arbiter of fortune and success where no achievement goes unpunished - with themselves at the top and in charge of course. One of my favorite short stories by Kurt Vonnegut does a great job of describing the logical conclusion of such desires: Harrison Bergeron

That being said, the term conspicuous consumption is apt in that it accurately describes the use of consumer goods as social signals and shibboleths. This then ties in to the way that companies attempt to manipulate their image and branding so as to control the social signals that are associated with their products. The people buying and displaying these products are in turn trying to use them to manipulate their own personal brand and image so as to control how other people think and feel about them. It goes round and round and never ends. Anyone not playing the game loses by default.

I don't have a problem with any of that. It would be hard to since I do it myself. So does everyone else from every background and walk of life. A biker who wants to be accepted by other bikers doesn't go into the clubhouse dressed for a job interview at a bank, not even on Halloween.

What I do find fault with are people who think that the way to increase their own brand equity is by using products just because they are known to be expensive. They just look childish to me. Nicer things tend to cost more money, but not all things that cost more money are nicer, or worth the money they cost. Likewise not everything that is inexpensive is of low quality.

If, as you say, the jeans endorsed here are promoted based on quality, and not as denim based bling, then I'm glad to hear it.

your system of valuation is totally skewed. Most people who attempt to describe value do so by comparing marginal utility vs. marginal cost.

So no, $150 jeans are not going to be 10x more "quality"-ful than your $15 jeans. In general, luxury goods generally have increasing marginal costs, so every step up is going to be more and more expensive. Put that way, what you get for the extra $135 when you upgrade from faded glories to apc's is giant step up in what makes jeans "good."

(A s a side note, one could argue that Levi's are worth the $15-20 step up because they come in a variety of cuts that aren't available elsewhere, meaning they fit better and thus, are "better" jeans--as bubba04 points out, more goes into a valuation besides branding and construction)

Instead of being a cynical dick about why people like the things they do, how about you go through the experience of buying, wearing, and fading a pair of of Naked and Famous or APC's, and then come back and say they're not worth the money.
Edited by GraphicNovelty - 7/21/11 at 7:45am
post #95 of 105
I can't believe we're talking about Faded Glory jeans.

I actually DO own a pair of these. They're my go too yard work, car fixing, painting stuff pants.

They're a weird color, and the cut isn't too flattering, but they're pretty solidly constructed.


The kind of pants I could pay $15 for, trash for a few years, then sell as "designer" on styleforum for a few hundred bucks.
post #96 of 105
Based on your description, it sounds like there are much better denim alternatives even at the nominal price of $15; canvas and division 7, among many others.

It's also pretty easy to get nice levi's at clearance place like marshall's and so on.
post #97 of 105
Them Atelier's denim is all made in LA and they run for about $100.
The Unbranded Brand for some really nice Japanese denim!
post #98 of 105
post #99 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmystyle View Post

Based on your description, it sounds like there are much better denim alternatives even at the nominal price of $15; canvas and division 7, among many others.

It's also pretty easy to get nice levi's at clearance place like marshall's and so on.
Normally I wear dark wash Levis 559 or 557 (the discontinued boot)

I'm 6 foot / 180lbs; the skinny look just looks silly on me.

A good straight / boot cut works best for my body type.


I like to try on pants before I buy them and there really isn’t any place around here selling the designer stuff.


I'd like to pick up some Levis raw at some point in the future.
post #100 of 105
Got the Division 7's, like them a lot. If you like levis 511 and similar skinnier jeans, I'd get them, it's a total steal.

Not a true raw, selvedge jean though.
post #101 of 105
There's a clearance store I frequently shop at that can have very good deals from time to time.

Saturday I picked up a pair of Perry Ellis jet black jeans that have what can only be described as a slightly rubbery look to them, which I believe is the 2% spandex listed on the label. Other than that they're pure cotton.

I paid $16 for them, so I'm pretty happy.
post #102 of 105
Ideeli has some nice looking jeans on sale cheap:

http://www.ideeli.com/events/58330/latest_view#p=1&c=1477126

Jeans that list for $88 are going for $20
post #103 of 105
Stop trolling. Please stop
post #104 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post


your system of valuation is totally skewed. Most people who attempt to describe value do so by comparing marginal utility vs. marginal cost.

So no, $150 jeans are not going to be 10x more "quality"-ful than your $15 jeans. In general, luxury goods generally have increasing marginal costs, so every step up is going to be more and more expensive. Put that way, what you get for the extra $135 when you upgrade from faded glories to apc's is giant step up in what makes jeans "good."

(A s a side note, one could argue that Levi's are worth the $15-20 step up because they come in a variety of cuts that aren't available elsewhere, meaning they fit better and thus, are "better" jeans--as bubba04 points out, more goes into a valuation besides branding and construction)

Instead of being a cynical dick about why people like the things they do, how about you go through the experience of buying, wearing, and fading a pair of of Naked and Famous or APC's, and then come back and say they're not worth the money.

are you gay?
no?

Before you deny that you're gay, why don't go through the process of having intercourse with a variety of homosexual men, in both positions, before you cast it off as something that you're not interested in?

thats pretty much what you asked him to do.
post #105 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalky View Post

I just wait for sales on Nudie jeans and get them for between $80-$120.

Also you could get Calvin Klein jeans they are about $90 on sale.

Where is the best place to find discounted Nudies?? Thx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Best inexpensive jeans?