or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NFL 2011/2012 Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NFL 2011/2012 Discussion - Page 145

post #2161 of 2217
Alex Smith has re-signed with the 49ers. I'm not a Niners fan, but I seem to be more willing to give Smith a mulligan than most fans are. He got thrown into the fire right after being drafted, and has had seven different offensive coordinators. Now that there is some continuity in the offense and Smith has some wideout threats (and I'm guessing SF drafts at least one wide receiver), it's time for him to put up or shut up.
post #2162 of 2217
Was anyone else not surprised that the Tebow trade would be drama-filled?
post #2163 of 2217
Not surprised it was dramatic, but I am surprised about how it went down. I'm surprised some hick team like Jacksonville didn't offer at least a 2nd rounder for him.
post #2164 of 2217
I couldn't believe the loss that Denver took on that trade. Pretty poignant statement about the value of Tebow.
post #2165 of 2217
The Tebow market really deflated in the playoff loss to New England. He looked like an amateur against a not-so-great defense. I always believed that Fox and Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow (who was drafted by McDaniels) and were saying nice things about him only because he was winning.
post #2166 of 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

The Tebow market really deflated in the playoff loss to New England. He looked like an amateur against a not-so-great defense. I always believed that Fox and Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow (who was drafted by McDaniels) and were saying nice things about him only because he was winning.

Also demonstrated that his style of play is going to lead to injuries, his freakish physique notwithstanding.
post #2167 of 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

The Tebow market really deflated in the playoff loss to New England. He looked like an amateur against a not-so-great defense. I always believed that Fox and Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow (who was drafted by McDaniels) and were saying nice things about him only because he was winning.

Agreed, still is interesting that his "value" has dropped that much in only a few games.
post #2168 of 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Also demonstrated that his style of play is going to lead to injuries, his freakish physique notwithstanding.

Get out of here science nerd! This thread is for red-blooded amuricans. Same goes for that damn canuck, 187. Go watch the CFL you traitor.
post #2169 of 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Would the Saints consider firing Payton? Should they?
(ditto the Titans and Gregg Williams)
If I have the story right, the owner found out about the bounties and told them to shut it down... which they then didn't do. I've gotta say, if I were the owner, I'd can these clowns. Payton may be a good coach and everything, but in light of this penalty, you've got a 2-year effect. Next year you have no continuity, and the year following you've got a coach who's been out of the game for a year trying to win back a team he didn't coach. If you fire the guy and get a new coach going now, at least you get a new program started in place beginning immediately.
And worst case, at least you don't have to pay Payton for next year, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post

Not harsh enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Also if you don't fire him, you've gotta have an interim system in place for just one year, and nobody decent is going to want to do that. The assistant (IIRC) was suspended half the season, so it's not like he can just take over for a year then hand the reins back.

I agree with all these posts.

I also think it's funny how everyone's crying foul about this. Players and idiot fans alike. If you don't want the punishment, don't do the crime especially after you were told repeatedly to stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Alex Smith has re-signed with the 49ers. I'm not a Niners fan, but I seem to be more willing to give Smith a mulligan than most fans are. He got thrown into the fire right after being drafted, and has had seven different offensive coordinators. Now that there is some continuity in the offense and Smith has some wideout threats (and I'm guessing SF drafts at least one wide receiver), it's time for him to put up or shut up.
Smith, regardless of his coaching woes, is just not a good quarterback. He suffers from the same issue that Donovan McNabb does. They have okay decision-making, but their throws just aren't accurate. He [smith] had one really good game where he showed he has it in him to play lights-out quarterback, and then he reverted to the "throw into the dirt on third and eight" style of play he's done most of his career. Now that he has a much better receiver corps (assuming everyone plays to their abilities, etc etc) they may elevate his performance. I can easily see Moss getting into his face and going "Look, I run ten times faster and jump ten times higher than my defender. Learn to throw me the fucking football." if smith doesn't perform.
post #2170 of 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

Agreed, still is interesting that his "value" has dropped that much in only a few games.

Well to be fair to Tebow, a lot of 1st round drafted players that are traded are never traded for another 1st round pick. I can't think of any off the top of my head (or any going for 2nd round picks for that matter) and you usually see those players going for 3rd round draft choices at best.
post #2171 of 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

I couldn't believe the loss that Denver took on that trade. Pretty poignant statement about the value of Tebow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

The Tebow market really deflated in the playoff loss to New England. He looked like an amateur against a not-so-great defense. I always believed that Fox and Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow (who was drafted by McDaniels) and were saying nice things about him only because he was winning.

i would agree, and it took quite some time to hear elway say anything good about him. and even then it didnt seem like much more than lip service.

i would guess they knew what they had, and what his trade value was while he was there, but stuck between not knowing who, if anyone, would replace him, and the crazy local fanboys, they had to tow the line as best they could. once they had a better option that solved those issues, i doubt they were surprised with his exit value.
post #2172 of 2217
Do you think they pulled Orton and let Tebow play in the hopes that he would flop? Let the dude choke so you can go back to business as usual? As Stitches pointed out there wasn't a lot of support from higher ups for Tebow until after he started winning, and then it seemed as if they were just towing the line.
post #2173 of 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

Do you think they pulled Orton and let Tebow play in the hopes that he would flop? Let the dude choke so you can go back to business as usual? As Stitches pointed out there wasn't a lot of support from higher ups for Tebow until after he started winning, and then it seemed as if they were just towing the line.

i think so. they were getting a ton of fan pressure to start the guy, and whether or not the fans know shit about who should play, they are the most important factor in generating revenue. and in the end its all a business, a game to the fans, but a business to the owners and execs.

starting tebow was a win win. they knew they werent gonna win the super bowl with any of what they had last year, so they figured lets play the guy. if he wins, great, we are winning, and the fans are happy. if we lose, we are no worse off, and it will quiet all the noise. all the while im sure they were at least thinking about, if not actively pursuing other better options.
post #2174 of 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

The biggest problem with really speedy quarterbacks like Cunningham and Vick is that all that running means more injuries. The trick is finding one who can be trained to throw the ball away more often than he tries to tuck and run.
As far as Vince Young, the UT system just seems to produce emotional cripples for some reason. I've often noticed that Austin turns people soft. nest.gif

offensively i agree.

defensively i disagree... ( see quentin jammer, aaron ross, brian orakpo)
post #2175 of 2217
Pregame talk from Williams. .While I'm sure there are other pregame speeches that invoke violence to a similar degree, considering the bounty program and the amount of time he spends talking about hurting the head, Dude is fucked. I wonder if there could be criminal charges in his future?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NFL 2011/2012 Discussion