Originally Posted by skitlets
Redskins gave up 3 first round picks???
Also, I've been hearing a lot lately that it's no longer wise to spend high picks on WR and RB. Why is this?
RBs are especially bad for several reasons:
1. They get injured easily. They statistically have the shortest careers.
2. In the 2nd round you can either get the 10th-15th best offensive tackle or defensive end...or you can get the 2nd best runningback.
3. New rules in the NFL have made the running game less important than the passing game.
4. Even mediocre quarterbacks have more yards per pass attempt than runningbacks have yards per carry.
5. Many of the best runners in recent times have come from the later rounds or have even been undrafted. Why draft Trent Richardson in the top 10 when you can get a guy in the 4th or 5th round with similar production?
6. Teams are moving towards the runningback-by-committee format rather than having a feature back.
7. The teams who have high picks are typically really, really bad and need help at more important positions than the runningback.