or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Underrated Designers and Brands
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Underrated Designers and Brands - Page 4

post #46 of 61
I don't think N. Hoolywood (^which I also read as 'Hollywood' for the longest time ) is underrated on this forum...whenever pieces show up in fits they are generally well recieved. I also think they are miles ahead of apc in terms of interesting pieces. While not necessarily underrated, I think Neil Barrett doesn't get enough love around here. FW11 looks awesome (those chunky knits are siick!). SS12 on the other hand... Odyn Vovk: I really like OV as a toned down/cheaper alternative to the RO/Julius/goth ninjaesque aesthetic...almost like Silent. Their retail generally sucks but I find the sale prices to be pretty fair.
post #47 of 61
Probably not underrated as I'm guessing they have a rabid following somewhere, but some Japanese brands I've only been to look at online:

- nonnative - really wearable - has that outdoorsy/slightly quirky vibe I like without being Americana like EG/woolrichetc + apparently great materials/construction
- White mountaineering - same thing, thought perhaps more eclectic, awaiting some of this to arrive at maas stacks in sf.

The price point probably keeps a lot of people at bay, bc it can just get ridiculous.
post #48 of 61
Zam Barrett... Some people here seem to hate him, but I still love most of his stuff + relatively a bargain in comparison to other designers.
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post
Handled some AS's in a very hard, unattractive calf whilst in Japan. Was not impressed; they were about half the price as mainline C+J's so they may be of an AS line I don't know of, but they were really not impressive to me. Are there several lines? FWIW, Tricker's and Aldens were on the same shelf and they too were not really that great, if you compare them to Church's or C+J make, IMO.

Yeah that would have been their lowest line, which was priced (IIRC) along the lines of Loake, so was pretty good value.

"exclusive" line and up is really good quality and value. Better than C&J benchgrade obviously, and some would say better than handgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck View Post

What do people think of LOVA? Some of their stuff looks good in pics, but I handled one shirt not long ago (blue plaid short sleeve button down) that was apparently left over stock from Gilt and it felt kinda shitty. Fabric felt like paper rather than cotton. I don't know if it was some bullshit they made just to sell cheap on Gilt or not though. Any experiences with their stuff?

you know, alot of my higher thread count shirts have this "papery" feeling. Feels cheap and thin at first, but then you realise it's actually light and soft, rather than scratchy.
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roygbivuxg View Post
I don't think N. Hoolywood (^which I also read as 'Hollywood' for the longest time ) is underrated on this forum...whenever pieces show up in fits they are generally well recieved. I also think they are miles ahead of apc in terms of interesting pieces. While not necessarily underrated, I think Neil Barrett doesn't get enough love around here. FW11 looks awesome (those chunky knits are siick!). SS12 on the other hand... Odyn Vovk: I really like OV as a toned down/cheaper alternative to the RO/Julius/goth ninjaesque aesthetic...almost like Silent. Their retail generally sucks but I find the sale prices to be pretty fair.
This thread is a misnomer. Should really be "underrepresented" rather than "underrated". Barrett looks nice on the runway and there are usually a few great pieces, but I've been pretty underwhelmed by a lot of stuff in person And I'm still sticking with N.Hollywood.
post #51 of 61
^agreed on the misnomer. And yes, N. Hollywood does sound better heh
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82 View Post
Probably not underrated as I'm guessing they have a rabid following somewhere, but some Japanese brands I've only been to look at online:

- nonnative - really wearable - has that outdoorsy/slightly quirky vibe I like without being Americana like EG/woolrichetc + apparently great materials/construction
- White mountaineering - same thing, thought perhaps more eclectic, awaiting some of this to arrive at maas stacks in sf.

The price point probably keeps a lot of people at bay, bc it can just get ridiculous.

Check out this site, I think there's a lot here that you'll love: http://jamesrmcnally.com/
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
N. Hoolywood has some great stuff but it's always seemed like a Japanese (read:expensive) take on APC.

I dunno so much about that. I mean, the Under Summit line, certainly, is just basics. The Compile Line, you can make an argument for it, but even then, the pieces have details to them that are add-ons, rather than strip downs, which is sort of the opposite of APC (for example, on the bomber I got recently, there is a zip off collar and a zip off hem). The mainline definitely has some whackado, out there pieces. I think that most people think of the angular suits and shirts, which are supeficially similar to APC.

I think that Herno is a very underrated brand for outerwear.
post #54 of 61
Funny, I was originally going to add "edgier APC" but as I'd already used that before, I left it as "Japanese."
post #55 of 61
After looking through N. Hoolywood's FW '11, I'm thoroughly convinced. This sweater especially:

post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
I think that Herno is a very underrated brand for outerwear.
Definitely, the women's stuff my wife has is amazing. Their marketing skews kind of middle-age dad which is probably why it doesn't get much play here.
post #57 of 61
John Smedley
Hoyle Jackson
post #58 of 61
b-store
post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post
After looking through N. Hoolywood's FW '11, I'm thoroughly convinced. This sweater especially:

That is excellent. +1 to N. Hoolywood. And if we're talking "underrepresented" instead of underrated, then my own list would probably be Yohji Yamamoto Issey Miyake, which I think someone else mentioned Alexander McQueen Kitsune Mr. Hare PRPS
post #60 of 61
Nicholas Andreas Taralis nude:masahiko maruyama Siki Im
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Underrated Designers and Brands