• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear this jacket with these pants?

Mark Stone

Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is my first post on here. I'll start by saying I don't know much about style. I have trouble following many of the terms in the posts I have read so far. I run a high performance car fabrication shop, so I do not get to dress up very often. I do think I can tell when something looks bad, but sometimes I'm scared to break rules that are not obvious to me right away.

Over the years, I have aquired a 2 cheapish suits and a few decent ties, and 3 shirts. Yes 3.

Long story short, the shop is having some trouble as of late, and I have an interview for a new job in a completely different field. (Tech support for a major telecom company).

So here's the fun part. You get to tell me I suck

Basically, I have the following "inventory" :

- 1 black pinstripe suit, with matching vest. Fits okay.
- 1 grey suit
- 1 pair black pinstripe pants, with jeans-style front pockets
- 1 charcoal shirt
- 1 orange shirt
- 1 medium blue shirt

I have decided to try the black pinstripe pants (not the ones from the suit), the charcoal shirt, and the suit jacket from the grey suit. I was surprised, I think it looks nice. But I'm not sure enough about if it all works together.

If you would be so kind to help me out here, my questions are :

1) Are the charcoal shirt and grey suit jacket too close in color to wear together?

2) Do the pinstripe pants work with the grey jacket?

3) Does this tie work with the package?

I appreciate you guys taking the time to look at this!

Thanks,

--
Mark

Photo11-06-29115647PM.jpg

Photo11-06-29115908PM.jpg

Photo11-06-29115802PM.jpg

Photo11-06-30121301AM.jpg

6stringsakc

Reaction score
I do think the outfit would for the most part be acceptable for the interview, but you're wearing too many shades of grey (including black), and the slight bluish tone of the shirt is throwing it off a bit.

From far away, the black and grey don't look bad, but I don't know about the stripe and textures of the jacket/slacks.

I think working with what you have, your best bet would be the grey suit, med. blue shirt, and the blue/brown tie you've got on in the pic...I think along with the navy shadow stripe, that's the best tie out of the bunch.

Kamapuaa

Reaction score
The quick answer is "no." It looks like something a college kid would wear to a club. On the other hand, they won't care what clothes you're wearing unless it's ridiculous.

Personal opinion would be: don't wear a dark shirt unless you're at a club, the pinstripe trousers are kind of tacky, I don't like the ties, the shoes are big and boxy (get something round and lace-up). Can't really tell on the jacket due to the pose and picture, seems OK but I wonder if the shoulders are wide and it's too long.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Yes to most of this ^. If you're going to get by with three shirts for interview/work purposes, at least two of them really should be white. If it's not for a job interview but just because you feel like dressing up, then roll with what you like, obviously.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't something I would wear, but if you're absolutely set on the pants and the jacket, at least get a light blue or white shirt to go with this combo and you'll look better than average.

Some random stuff:

1. Jacket seems too big for you.
2. You need to size down on the shirt, the collar is half a size too big.
3. You need to throw out the shoes and ties. All of them. And start over. The tie you're wearing is the best out of the bunch.
4. Is that a gray belt? Get a black one to wear with black shoes.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will keep improving if you spend enough time on this forum.

glenjay

Reaction score
1) The shoes are a crime against any type of fashion or style, get rid of them as soon as possible. Buy some rounded toe dress shoes. Even cheap dress shoes would be better than those square toed frankenshoes. Sorry, but you were looking for honesty.
2) A suit coat is a cut like a suit coat and should not be worn as an odd jacket unless you are going for a more casual look (so wear the whole suit).
3) The birdseye pattern in the jacket will fight with the pinstripe in the pants to a small degree, causing the look to be just a little "off".
4) Not only is the jacket about a half to a full size too big for you, it looks like a "long" on a medium torso as well. The sleeves are clearly too long.
5) If the weather allows, I would not wear the jacket at all. Just go with a shirt and tie, and the suit pants if they fit properly.
6) The only viable shirt option you have is your medium blue shirt.
7) The tie you are wearing in the picture is the only one that will work with what you have.
8) Buy some more dress shirts when you can (white, blue, French blue in that order).
9) If you have any reason to wear ties in the future, throw away the ties you have and do a little research on tie patterns and fabrics.
10) Good luck in your interviews. Look them in the eye and talk clearly and calmly. The outfit will become less relevant the more confident you are as a person.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a few things:

1. A white shirt. Get a few of these that fit you well.
2. Some basic solid and pin dot ties.
3. A good pair of black cap-toe shoes.

That would be the minimum to repair this outfit.

The contrasting medium/light grey with dark grey/black pants is an acceptable look. You don't want to have odd or mismatched jackets or trousers with stripes.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit jackets should always be worn with their own trousers not as orphans: They will not look right and do not double as sports jackets.

Your best bet is to observe both here and in the street. Then learn.

Mark Stone

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I wasn't crazy about the shoes, but I didn't know why I didn't like them. They just bugged me. Now I know, square toe = no. Sucks, I will feel weird wearing them today.

I have never, EVER had clothes that fit. I know I should probably have stuff tailored, but I can't really afford it at the moment. I've had 3 suits total, and they are all tight at the shoulder, and super baggy everywhere else. I have never looked at myself in a suit and thought "wow that looks good", I always look like I'm floating in them. I guess that's what you get when you get a suit off the rack and bring it straight home. (Even with the help of a salesman).

I do have two white shirts, one which looks like a bedsheet on me, and the another which has cuflink-style sleeves. Every shirt I have is loose around the neck, and very tight at the shoulders. I'm 6'2" / 185, so I think I probably end up buying stuff that is too big because I want it long enough to tuck into my pants. (And the tight shoulder thing).

Thank you guys for the honest advice. I have always loved this stuff, but could not afford to dabble in it. If I get this new job, maybe it'll be my chance to start picking up decent pieces here and there. And I'd be working downtown, with all the fashionable people out there, so it'd be nice to get into it!

The interview is this afternoon at 4, so I'll try a few more combos and maybe I'll post a different idea.
smile.gif

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
Thanks a lot guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I wasn't crazy about the shoes, but I didn't know why I didn't like them. They just bugged me. Now I know, square toe = no. Sucks, I will feel weird wearing them today.

I have never, EVER had clothes that fit. I know I should probably have stuff tailored, but I can't really afford it at the moment. I've had 3 suits total, and they are all tight at the shoulder, and super baggy everywhere else. I have never looked at myself in a suit and thought "wow that looks good", I always look like I'm floating in them. I guess that's what you get when you get a suit off the rack and bring it straight home. (Even with the help of a salesman).

I do have two white shirts, one which looks like a bedsheet on me, and the another which has cuflink-style sleeves. Every shirt I have is loose around the neck, and very tight at the shoulders. I'm 6'2" / 185, so I think I probably end up buying stuff that is too big because I want it long enough to tuck into my pants. (And the tight shoulder thing).

Thank you guys for the honest advice. I have always loved this stuff, but could not afford to dabble in it. If I get this new job, maybe it'll be my chance to start picking up decent pieces here and there. And I'd be working downtown, with all the fashionable people out there, so it'd be nice to get into it!

The interview is this afternoon at 4, so I'll try a few more combos and maybe I'll post a different idea.
smile.gif

Kudos to you for taking the advice given in the spirit intended -- many don't. Hope you nail the interview!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it's this afternoon, grey suit, blue shirt, maybe the red and gold tie, and pick up a black belt somewhere at lunch. While most on here will hate on the shoes (myself included), virtually anyone interviewing you for a tech job will think the shoes are fine. They will also think your suit fits. Good luck with the interview. Don't stress about the clothes. You will be fine.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
Kudos to you for taking the advice given in the spirit intended -- many don't. Hope you nail the interview!

+1

Mark Stone

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted!

I forgot to mention, the belt is black leather, with a charcoal/smoked rectangular buckle. Very similar to the belt below, without the letters :

Bally-rectangular-buckle-reversible-mens-belt-522.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The belt sounds fine. The one pictured would be even better if it read "BALLER."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads