or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Adele is not pleased with U.K. taxes...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adele is not pleased with U.K. taxes...

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 
I will have to look her up when next in London.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rles-c-johnson

Quote:
On average, British subjects earning more than £122,000 (about $200,000) take home only about 60.9 percent of their earnings, according to a UHY International study released earlier this month. In contrast, the wealthiest Americans typically keep around 70 percent of the money they make. In the midst of the 2009 recession, Alistair Darling, Britain's previous chancellor, announced a new 50 percent income-tax rate. Tax rates have remained there, despite David Cameron's pledge to take a look at a reduction once the economy stabilizes.

In the meantime, Adele isn't pleased. Her first album, 19, released in 2008, sold 2.2 million copies by mid-July "” and then the tax bill came due. Now she's"mortified" to pay half her income in tax, and told Q Magazine:

I use the NHS, I can't use public transport any more, doing what I do, I went to state school . . . ! Trains are always late, most state schools are s[***], and I've gotta give you like 4 million quid, are you 'avin a laugh? When I got my tax bill in from 19, I was ready to go 'n' buy a gun and randomly open fire.
post #2 of 67
I'm glad you're taking the words of a lower-class mediocre singer as gospel.
post #3 of 67
awful. a 50% tax is just plain stupid. Once again, earners getting punished. Wonder when the US will have a 50% tax.......
post #4 of 67
The people she should be moaning at are her management/accountants for not tax planning properly.
Lots of entirely legal options to reduce the bill...
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
I'm glad you're taking the words of a lower-class mediocre singer as gospel.

I dont care if shes getting paid millions to cornhole cripple kids.....50% income tax is ridiculous.
post #6 of 67
I would just like to point out that she is very fat.
post #7 of 67
The idea that upper income Americans take home 70% of their pay makes me laugh. I'll take that deal. Where can I find it?

Maybe hedge fund guys who only pay the cap gains rate but rest of us who get salaries, no way. nooooooo waaayyyy.
post #8 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
I'm glad you're taking the words of a lower-class mediocre singer as gospel.

she is a great singer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I dont care if shes getting paid millions to cornhole cripple kids.....50% income tax is ridiculous.

+1 anything over 30% is straight theft imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post
I would just like to point out that she is very fat.

and very talented
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
The idea that upper income Americans take home 70% of their pay makes me laugh. I'll take that deal. Where can I find it?

Maybe hedge fund guys who only pay the cap gains rate but rest of us who get salaries, no way. nooooooo waaayyyy.

70% does sound high.Im far from the upper tax brackets and thats not too far off from what I take home of my salary.
post #10 of 67
I had no idea what she looked like...had to google her...

and yeah, i would not hit.
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

and very talented
Meh. Compared to the talentless pop tarts on the radio she's Beethoven, but I could find a fat chick with a comparable singing voice at any black church in America. Not hating or anything, it's just that in the context of pop music these days any semblance of talent makes one some kind of musical genius. Kind of like the way John Mayer is the second coming of SRV because he can play about as well as the best guy working at Guitar Center.
post #12 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasonic View Post
The people she should be moaning at are her management/accountants for not tax planning properly.
Lots of entirely legal options to reduce the bill...

^this.

They should have set up a holding structure to avoid that rate.
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
The idea that upper income Americans take home 70% of their pay makes me laugh. I'll take that deal. Where can I find it?

I read that too and I was all "evidence?"

It's a BS meaningless statistic because they're deliberately vague on who they're talking about.
post #14 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
The idea that upper income Americans take home 70% of their pay makes me laugh. I'll take that deal. Where can I find it?

Yeah, I found that a bit off myself.
post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post
Meh. Compared to the talentless pop tarts on the radio she's Beethoven, but I could find a fat chick with a comparable singing voice at any black church in America. Not hating or anything, it's just that in the context of pop music these days any semblance of talent makes one some kind of musical genius. Kind of like the way John Mayer is the second coming of SRV because he can play about as well as the best guy working at Guitar Center.

this may be. i havent been to any black churches yet. but she has a set of pipes thats for sure.

as far as john mayer, im no expert but i have a buddy who is a guitar expert, went to berkley school of music and he claims john mayer is actually quite talented. just sayin.

now back to taxes and politics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Adele is not pleased with U.K. taxes...