• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tan leather jackets, thoughts?

Grug

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on tan leather jackets? It's a colour I've hardly ever seen worn here in Australia (generally all you seem to see here is black, black, grey, dark grey, black and maybe dark brown at a stretch), but tan has been really growing on me lately.

Is there a faux par or poor taste to the colour that's generally accepted and I'm simply not aware of?

I'm talking about this kind of colour, a lighter/orangey brown:

shortjacketb.jpg

415130148d58e0c6_dolce_and_gabbana_tan_leather_jacket.jpg

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There just not that versatile I'm guessing as other colors, since they have that orangish hue but as the color, it's actually really nice.

ramp

Reaction score
Can be good on the right jacket. On the wrong one you enter ugly-old-man-jacket territory.

osadolor619

Reaction score
Leather jackets are expensive and people usually keep them for years. If you're going to spend so much on one item, it has to be able to go with different colors/styles, etc.. That color isn't so versatile.

Grug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mvpberto
There just not that versatile I'm guessing as other colors, since they have that orangish hue but as the color, it's actually really nice.

Originally Posted by osadolor619
Leather jackets are expensive and people usually keep them for years. If you're going to spend so much on one item, it has to be able to go with different colors/styles, etc.. That color isn't so versatile.

Cheers guys, I hadn't thought of it that way. That said, most of my tops are blacks/dark blues/dark greens, so I could probably get away with it.

Originally Posted by ramp
Can be good on the right jacket. On the wrong one you enter ugly-old-man-jacket territory.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I was thinking of possibly getting it on a ToJ minimalist DR:

5853954080_fe103faef8.jpg

Which I think you'd have to be doing something pretty wrong with to make it look like an ugly-old-man-jacket.

Originally Posted by Quixotic
God who keeps Diesel in business?

The stupid apparently (srs). I saw an advertising campaign plastered across one of there stores the other day promoting the virtues of 'stupid' over the stuffiness of 'smart'
ffffuuuu.gif

osadolor619

Reaction score
Yea that's what I was gonna say, if you wear those colors most of the time then ur good. But I like to switch it up, as most people probably do.

eversuns

Reaction score
I bought this one from Vincent and Vincent:
020.jpg
Matches my hair
tongue.gif

Grug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eversuns
I bought this one from Vincent and Vincent:

020.jpg

Matches my hair
tongue.gif

Do you have any closer up shots of the jacket without harsh sunlight coming across it?

Stillblade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quixotic
God who keeps Diesel in business?
Lol apparently I do actually, I have a tan Diesel leather.
diesel.lamados.leather.jacket.406.00.jpg
It's hot though, don't hate! If you get one that's no so orange-ish in hue, it's actually pretty versatile.

Grug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stillblade
If you get one that's no so orange-ish in hue, it's actually pretty versatile.

I have fairly daft proportions, so I'm looking the ToJ route in the hope that I can get something that actually fits well. I haven't seen any particularly clear photos of ToJ's tan colour (called 'whiskey'), but it does look somewhat more orange than that:

toj+whiskey+calf+dr.jpg

davidk_001.jpg

9bggvp.jpg

Though which of those 3 photos the colour looks more like in real life I don't know. I'm hoping the middle one, because that's about the only tone of the three that I like.

kasakka

Reaction score
Been considering getting one too. I like a bit unique colors on jackets so I would hope that the TOJ whiskey was more akin to that orangeish first pic or eversuns' jacket. The hue is very important and I'd say that if the color is a bit uneven would also make it look better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads