• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones Handgrade Dry Leather - Faulty or Not? Help!

Melvin Udall

Reaction score
I know others on this forum have had problems with dry leather on the CJ handgrades. I bought a pair of Cliffords two months ago and wear them about once a week. I polish them with Saphir Medaille D'Or cream and wax. The shoes look fine when newly polished but have always been very dry . After a short walk they look lighter and dry. Since the cream makes the shoes darker the problem is getting worse. I am currently awaiting C&J's advice on this. My C&J HG Audleys do not have the same problems. What would your advice be on this? [
teacha.gif
After good advices I understand the ugly creasing are not because of dry, but probably caused by second grade leather. And yes, I did use too much shoe polish!] Polished:
Polished.jpg
After a short walk:
Aftershortwalk.jpg

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yes- they don't look dry- just like the wax creasing. I find you need about 1/5th as much Saphir as you think you do.

Melvin Udall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by faketrain
looks like you may be applying too much wax in the stress areas and that wax may be caking/flaking because of it.

Thanks! You might be right.
thumbs-up.gif

Since the vamp is very dry I probably applied to much cream and wax.

What would you advice?

Could it be enough if i polished the shoes just brushing without any wax o cream for a period?
Would neutral cream or renovator help?

Melvin Udall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
^Yes- they don't look dry- just like the wax creasing. I find you need about 1/5th as much Saphir as you think you do.

Thanks!
Sounds like I will be spendig less money on shoe care!

Melvin Udall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
As other posters have said use less polish. But also use the money you save for some Renovateur and apply after every wearing to condition the leather.
Thanks Will and pebblegrain! I will polish less and buy some Renovateur! Already would if my local store had carried Saphirs D'Or line. How big is the actual difference between the Medaille D'Or and regular? Should Renovateur be used after every wearing? Are there any risk using too much Renovateur?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall
Thanks Will and pebblegrain!
I will polish less and buy some Renovateur! Already would if my local store had carried Saphirs D'Or line. How big is the actual difference between the Medaille D'Or and regular?

Should Renovateur be used after every wearing? Are there any risk using too much Renovateur?

No need to use it after each wearing,that's too much hassle. I'd say after every 3-4 wearings.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a tough time believing all those creases and cracks are just polish build-up, those shoes look really dry.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
As other posters have said use less polish. But also use the money you save for some Renovateur and apply after every wearing to condition the leather.
After every wearing? A little involved, no? Sometimes the clothes-grooming/care advice given on SF makes me wonder what's worse - 1) to get a pair of shoes like this but only photograph them, never wearing them (which it seems some people on SF do) or 2) to buy a pair of shoes like this, wear them, but also baby them with this level of uber-care.

countbaron

Reaction score
That amount of creasing after just 2 months of ownership is not nice
I have seen it on my C&J Wigmore's although since they are just lowly benchgrades I thought it more acceptable- however they have put me off C&J somewhat

On the issue of colour changing at the wrinkle sites after a few hours of use the worst case I have experienced is with the Barker Black Cognac 'Lancer' Side laces. It happens all the time and if some one told me I was putting too much cream/polish I would tell them they don’t know what they are talking about since i don’t particularly choose that shoe to waste polish on. But then I thought this happened because Barker Black's use bad quality leather and since they only cost £150 I could live with it

Of course there is a lot of cognitive bias happening here, i.e., I have decided C&J are great- there is some report against C&J ‘performance’  I choose to believe it is nothing. It is the guy’s fault as he polishes ‘too much’

I love SF

Melvin Udall

Reaction score
Ruben, the shoes are indeed dry!
Would Renovateur solve the problem?

You got a point, Johnny Crockett!
Very similar problems have been discussed a couple of years ago in the thread "C&J Handgrade Leather Quality": http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=118911
However nobody posted pictures of their shoes back then.

Do you think the shoes should be sent back to C&J for examination?
puzzled.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with a pair of Belgrade (I believe). I thought maybe I was polishing too much, but now I'm starting to think that maybe it is C&J.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads