or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watch store for Rolex in NYC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watch store for Rolex in NYC - Page 2

post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolishedman View Post
check out wempe on fifth avenue. good service.

Went here once. No complaints. +1
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post
Sales tax is the same for everyone in NYC regardless of where you reside. We're not talking VAT.

????

Has NYC/NY State changed the law? There's no sales tax if you don't live in NY state and have the retailer ship to your home address-- the equivalent of mail order. Exception may be a retailer that also has a store in your home state.
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
Err, if sales tax even crosses your mind, you shouldn't be spending $5000 on a watch.

What a load of bs, sales tax in NYC is 8%+. Why pay that if you don't have to?

I 2nd Wempe; great shop. Avoid Tourneau as their service is terrible. Would also recommend William Barthman in the financial district, nice shop and will sometimes cut you a deal.
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
Err, if sales tax even crosses your mind, you shouldn't be spending $5000 on a watch.

Spoken like a true baller.
post #20 of 31
Thread Starter 
thanks everyone, will check out wempe NJ sales tax is 7%, i don't think tax difference will be much? Even though discounts for rolexes are hard to get, I heard some SAs let you bring down an amount equal to the sales tax. Or they may just laugh in my face. i'll give it a shot though
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollapo View Post
Even though discounts for rolexes are hard to get, I heard some SAs let you bring down an amount equal to the sales tax. Or they may just laugh in my face. i'll give it a shot though

You have the money they need...... if they laugh, take your money elsewhere.

Regards.
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyar1 View Post
No, it should. That's a financially irresponsible statement. There's a huge difference between spending money on a watch and parting with money that goes straight to the government for who-knows-what.

Tell that to hedge fund managers who manage billions and carefully structure every action they take to avoid tax (income, cap gains, etc.)

Shipping their MTM shirts to other homes in other states.....
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
If the OP doesn't reside in NY, then he should consider having it shipped to his place of residence. Reduces cost tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxler View Post
????

Has NYC/NY State changed the law? There's no sales tax if you don't live in NY state and have the retailer ship to your home address-- the equivalent of mail order. Exception may be a retailer that also has a store in your home state.

Thanks, I never knew this and I am a Marylander who has done his share of NYC shopping.
post #24 of 31
You can better discounts on Rolex (yes they exist) by not buying in NY. Discounts can be had, but are easier to find in less affluent cities (it's true). Try some AD's in Florida for example (who do less margin), but you also might want to try Govberg in Philly - great service and they can discount more than some of the big name stores in NY. (at least as much Rolex will allow them to..) Plus no tax if you're not from PA.
post #25 of 31
i second govberg, but they won't discount the stainless steel models too much. gold or two-tone gives them more to work with. go further out of the way into neighborhood dealers and you'll get a much better deal. dealers will lose their distribution rights if caught by rolex, so most won't negotiate with you unless it's in person. even then, the big names do enough volume that they don't really need to discount.
post #26 of 31
last i heard the milgauss was hard to find. sell quick and limited supply. id be curious to know if the places you go to have them available.
post #27 of 31
standard milgauss is easy to find. gv is harder to find (for retail anyway).
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Because it's intelligent to pay $500 more than you have to right? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjphillips View Post
What a load of bs, sales tax in NYC is 8%+. Why pay that if you don't have to? .
Well, in that case, I have a better idea: Don't buy a $5000 watch when you don't have to. Since the entire point of a watch that costs more than $100 is to show off the money you wasted, it would be logical to demand paying more in taxes.
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post
You can better discounts on Rolex (yes they exist) by not buying in NY. Discounts can be had, but are easier to find in less affluent cities (it's true). Try some AD's in Florida for example (who do less margin), but you also might want to try Govberg in Philly - great service and they can discount more than some of the big name stores in NY. (at least as much Rolex will allow them to..) Plus no tax if you're not from PA.
+1 Besides the fact that you shouldn't even be buying a Rolex (so many other, better choices), the biggest discount you'll get in NYC is 10% off of retail on Rolex. You can try going to the diamond district at a store on 47th and 6th avenue. A coworker of mine is in the process of buying a JLC from this store. They claim that they can get you a watch with stamped papers from the Authorized Dealer and that it is would be the same as purchasing from the AD themselves. I believe they can do Rolex for 15-20% off. They literally have millions of dollars worth of watches in their store. Otherwise, I'd stay away from NY for Rolex as stated above.
post #30 of 31
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Does the model have a large impact on the amount ADs are willnig to discount Rolex? I am thinking of a GMT II in SS, but since this is a popular model I was wondering if any discount is still possible. Thanks in advance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watch store for Rolex in NYC