or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. - Page 59

post #871 of 1235
Roy: Thanks, looking forward to seeing pics.

Regarding creasing, Justin FitzPatrick wrote about it some time ago, that English makers use a thicker leather than makers from e.g. Italy and France, and that they crease less than the thinner leathers. I hadn't thought about it before, but I think he is right, although it is a generalisation. Bottom line is that creases in some cases doesn't need to mean bad fit or inferior leather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhyy View Post

Were you fitted in person? Not sure if bestetti even does online bespoke ala kielman, but just curious. What about test shoes?

Wasn't implying the leather isn't inferior, just that using that as the only parameter isn't the best idea in general

I don't think he does full bespoke on distance, though ordering Novecento by mail is pretty similar to Kielman internet bespoke, but including test shoe. You just can't make too big changes to his original lasts.
Edited by j ingevaldsson - 4/17/14 at 3:13am
post #872 of 1235
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post

Roy: Thanks, looking forward to seeing pics.

Regarding creasing, Justin FitzPatrick wrote about it some time ago, that English makers use a thicker leather than makers from e.g. Italy and France, and that they crease less than the thinner leathers. I hadn't thought about it before, but I think he is right, although it is a generalisation. Bottom line is that creases in some cases doesn't need to mean bad fit or inferior leather.

I think Riccardo also uses more of any skin than he should. He uses good skins, but even good skins have imperfect parts. I have the feeling he not always selects the best pieces of leather available out of any particular skin.
post #873 of 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post

I think Riccardo also uses more of any skin than he should. He uses good skins, but even good skins have imperfect parts. I have the feeling he not always selects the best pieces of leather available out of any particular skin.

For his RTW and MTO that might be true, but my Novecento and every other pair of Novecento and full bespoke I've seen has been absolute top grade leather all around.

Here's two recent pics of my pair, very heavily worn since I got them six months ago:




Edited by j ingevaldsson - 4/17/14 at 2:21pm
post #874 of 1235
^
you have seen
much much
less than roy


he and his brother
have almost 10
bespoke between
them
post #875 of 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post

^
you have seen
much much
less than roy


he and his brother
have almost 10
bespoke between
them

Absolutely, and I just wrote about the one's I've seen and experienced. I've been asking him for his opinion (and yours), just because I know that he has a lot of experience.

Do you have anything against me T4? You always respond in a bit of an annoyed way to me.
post #876 of 1235
^
you maybe
mistaking my
writing style

but as an
nb
when you replied
to counter roy's
theory
(based on his
ample experience
with his bespoke footwear)
by suggesting
that it maybe possible
in mto and rtw
but not in what
you have seen

is a bit
off to me
post #877 of 1235
T4: Okay, I understand. Yes, was a bit surprised by his theory, only because my experience (even if it's much less) is that his bespoke and Novecento has great leather all around. But I wasn't saying that Roy was wrong at all, just that my experience differed.
post #878 of 1235
^
look at his
latest shoe
on his blog
post #879 of 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post

Roy: Thanks, looking forward to seeing pics.

Regarding creasing, Justin FitzPatrick wrote about it some time ago, that English makers use a thicker leather than makers from e.g. Italy and France, and that they crease less than the thinner leathers. I hadn't thought about it before, but I think he is right, although it is a generalisation. Bottom line is that creases in some cases doesn't need to mean bad fit or inferior leather.
I don't think he does full bespoke on distance, though ordering Novecento by mail is pretty similar to Kielman internet bespoke, but including test shoe. You just can't make too big changes to his original lasts.

 

Or they just skipped skiving or splitting leathers to reduce the thickness for comfort.

post #880 of 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Or they just skipped skiving or splitting leathers to reduce the thickness for comfort.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think makers or factories split or skive the whole parts of finished tanned leathers. They skive the edges, but don't change the overall thickness, I think.
Edited by j ingevaldsson - 4/18/14 at 3:22am
post #881 of 1235

I was a little absent because I was traveling but now I want to show the other photos I had taken from Bestetti. I could not believe my eyes but I had to think again because these images are of a boots in a single piece of leather. And I had never seen. I had seen the shoe in a single piece of leather boots but I never saw anyone.

 

Ye have seen somewhere else? Who has already produced?

 

 

And look at that form ... it looks like a Formula 1 car out of the wind tunnel.

post #882 of 1235
^^^ Amazing!
post #883 of 1235

Yeah...those are awesome!!

post #884 of 1235

uh oh...i just saw on his blog...

 

that is a completely seamless boot.

 

WOW...didn't know he could do that.

post #885 of 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

uh oh...i just saw on his blog...

 

that is a completely seamless boot.

 

WOW...didn't know he could do that.

It is fantastic true ... I've never seen a single piece of leather boots a ... because I think it is much more difficult to do. Does anyone know if it has already done some other craftsman?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects.