• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manbag Options

SeanP

Reaction score
SF-
I work in finance (operations / audit) and am needing a new man bag to carry my corporate laptop and training materials. Having my eye on a tan Filson 257, would that be too casual?

Monday/Tues/Fri are my formal days and have my Brooks Brothers suits and business casual (slacks/button down dress shirt) on other two days. Is this bag able to pull it off ok?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tumblr_lddft4Ke8S1qazg1ao1_400.jpg
i think its too casual but this gentleman seems to pull it off well

changy

Reaction score
I think leather bags generally looks better with suits.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the overall style and how you carry yourself ... I actually believe that not only it can be pulled off but I can see it as a personal touch ... think a beat up tan filson 257, lots of character

SeanP

Reaction score
I do mostly operational items and laptop is the primary resource with the exception of my personal Ipad or folios I might throw in. Found the Filson thread and agree the older more "used" bags look great, but didnt know if canvas would be too casual. Not working on wall street yet, but just need a good looking bag that can look good and put up a battle.

And then I saw the brown Filson and the tan....maybe I need two

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
I have the jack spade work twill haversack in gray and love it. Even better, it is on sale at Nordstrom right now.

Zach

Reaction score
The Filson looks good. One person at my school has one and it looks good with a sport coat.

However, if you're interested in leather, there is only one option for a true manbag...

saddlebackdarktobaccobr.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^looks way to heavy and clunky. I don't get the appeal of a heavy leather bag like that at all.

Zach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
^^^looks way to heavy and clunky. I don't get the appeal of a heavy leather bag like that at all.

He asked about a manbag, not a purse or a briefcase.

Edit - said partly in jest. It is bulky and heavy. I guess you have to be a certain size to pull it off.

Zach

Reaction score
The "purse" you refer to is based upon a classic British field bag.
facepalm.gif

I've seen that explanation often in the SW&D forum. It's like you're trying to convince me of something.

The bag you posted doesn't look too bad. More importantly, it's your money and you don't have to convince me of anything to begin with.

Anyway, the OP asked and I suggested Saddleback.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is. But all the same, I really, really, really love my Saddleback bag. I literally packed it in my checked roller bag on my trip to SF for my camera gear (it also did yeoman's service when called upon to pack out my haul from D&M). It does have a real heaviness which is its cache.
The "purse" you refer to is based upon a classic British field bag.
facepalm.gif

Indeed. Filson stuff is very beautiful, but I, too, agree that with a suit, all leather is better -- though there is an extent to which in the most professional environments, I wouldn't actually want a Saddleback -- they are a little rougher than that. ~ H

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Saddleback is rugged, no doubt. Probably not appropriate for a financial-type job. But sales or tech support? Stick a laptop or two in there with a three-ring binder full of technical notes and a wad of brochures, a flashlight, some tools, etc. It's a definitely a MANbag. And looks a helluvalot nicer than ballistic nylon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads