or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012 - Page 42

post #616 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post


It's never easy to defend being a "true" supporter of a team thousands of miles away that just so happens to be quite possibly the greatest side in history, but it is what it is. I started following them in earnest the year Ronaldinho signed (2003) and haven't looked back. I stuck with them through those down years of 06-07 when Real Madrid took the league and they flamed out in the CL.

I've even made it a priority to make the pilgrimage to the Camp Nou next month....I planned the entire trip AROUND watching a match.

After a couple of probing questions, the fakers/bandwagon fans are usually exposed...an in depth knowledge of the sport, the team, and its history is usually what I use to gauge whether someone's a TRUE supporter...not proximity to the stadium and access to tickets.

I don't agree with SAH's argument, but I laugh when people say things like they "stuck with them through those down years of 06-07." So you supported the team in second place for one year? That must have been rough.
post #617 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhenryhhh View Post

Holy shit, Gasperini got the axe?
I caught the Novara - Inter match a little after half time. Pretty crazy stuff.
No surprise there, the writing was on the wall for weeks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Music to venessian's ears, no? I read that they're throwing around Ancelotti's name to come in and replace him. I think it might be interesting if they could force some sort of move to bring in Capello, vacating the English seat for Redknapp.

Although this sort of quick-sacking brings up another point that I think about frequently - how much impact does a manager really have on the performance of his team? I mean, short of personel decisions, how do they directly impact the pitch? You have a championship team one season and then they struggle the next... is it always the managers fault? Sometimes I think that team squads need to be shaken up more frequently than the manager... but just opinion. Thoughts?

Ex. Would Spain still dominate if it wasn't Del Bosque at the helm? Almost assuredly. Would Barça if it wasn't Guardiola? Probably too. I mean - Madrid, second place finish for Pelligrini, Mourinho, who knows who else (just about everyone over the last five years baring the 07-08 season, I think... That to me screams more personel issues rather than the manager.
Apparently Ranieri is the front-runner (only-runner?) as he and Branca are at this moment discussing a contract.
Sanchez Flores, Delio Rossi and Walter Zenga have been rumored, as well 2 who already work for Inter: Franco Baresi and Luis Figo. Roberto Baggio has also been mentioned but in this situation that would be absurd, I think.
Ancelotti would be another good candidate. A few weeks ago there talk of van Gaal, but I don't see him or Ancelotti mentioned now.
Capello would be great., but that won't happen now. I don't think Capello would ever join a team with the season already started (and crumbling).

I think that, in the case of Gasp, he did have a negative impact on the pitch; his insistence on the 3-4-3 put players out of position, yielded too many goals, wrecked the offense. Even with some important players out due to injury (Stankovic, Maicon) I think at that point it became a battle of wills between Gasp and elders like Zanetti, Cambiasso, Sneijder, etc. and Gasp wasn't going to win that one, especially with the new players (esp. Johnathan and Zarate) not really integrating well. There was obviously no chemistry. Then when he back-tracked, changing schemes every half, it became clear he was floundering. He never installed a clear system which also used the players at his disposal to their best advantage...that is a major error, and surely led to a lack of trust and confidence.

The question following this, considering also the Benitez fiasco last year, is why is Moratti hiring managers with whom he has no feeling, and who cannot control the locker room? This is a major concern to me; there is just no stability and Moratti has to accept some of the blame for that. Apparently Moratti never had a good rapport with Gasp, so why hire him at all??? Likewise, Benitez just never fit in. I'm a bit apprehensive about Ranieri, but at least he has more top-team experience than Gasperini. Still, the near-future Inter calendar is not going to be easy on a new ct.


Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Oh too - great article on Javier Zanetti's performance for Inter. Great read.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature/_/id/959834/zanetti-continues-to-push-the-boundaries?cc=5901
That's a good article, thanks. Zanetti is such a great player and person, really top class. He will be a great front-office guy (like Leonardo) some day.


zanetti757_it.jpg


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post

Your argument is a tired one, and is invalid when a person not from a team's local area supports said team, yet they aren't a "big" name team (Norwich, Fulham etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post

That definition of "supporter" is stupid.
Reminds me of the dummy who posted on here whenever i'd post Barcelona stuff by asking me if I was physically attending the Champions League final. OH REALLY??? YOU FOLLOW THE NFL?? THEN WHY AREN'T YOU GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL?!? Dumb logic is dumb.
+1 and +1.
I haven't been able to go to San Siro, etc. for years; my passion has not diminished one bit.
Edited by venessian - 9/21/11 at 12:39pm
post #618 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post


It's never easy to defend being a "true" supporter of a team thousands of miles away that just so happens to be quite possibly the greatest side in history, but it is what it is. I started following them in earnest the year Ronaldinho signed (2003) and haven't looked back. I stuck with them through those down years of 06-07 when Real Madrid took the league and they flamed out in the CL.

I've even made it a priority to make the pilgrimage to the Camp Nou next month....I planned the entire trip AROUND watching a match.

After a couple of probing questions, the fakers/bandwagon fans are usually exposed...an in depth knowledge of the sport, the team, and its history is usually what I use to gauge whether someone's a TRUE supporter...not proximity to the stadium and access to tickets.

Wow well done. The team you wanted to win came 2nd and you stuck with them. Genuine question, why did you start to follow them and would you still follow them if they were relegated (yes I know it won't happen)? Proximity to the stadium is a bit of a dodgy way to judge whether someone is a true supporter now that people move around and have family connections to different places, its very easy to watch a team on the tele though and a much more serious commitment to actually go to the games - well done for going to Spain to watch a match, I genuinely mean that but if they beat Espanyol it won't mean anything to you like it will to the Catalans. I know of a Texan who follows football and picked Leeds (fuck knows why since its a guaranteed way to get a heart attack or become an alcoholic) and went to three of our games at the end of last season - if we'd beaten the scum last night it would have meant as much to him as if we beat Arsenal last season but full credit to him for making the journey over, most can barely make the effort to go to the pub.
post #619 of 3717
I'll repeat myself, it's never easy to defend being a true fan of a team whose only down years in 8 years is finishing top 2 in the league. But what am I supposed to do? Follow Newcastle since it makes me more legit?

I can tell you this...nothing made me more sick to my stomach for DAYS than watching my team give their hated rivals the Pasillo....
258

or spectacularly flaming out in the Copa Del Rey vs. Getafe in 06/07 where they blew a 3-4 goal lead going into the second leg.

NO...I wasn't born into following them, but however I got here, I'm now HERE and I will be a supporter of this team till the day I die. Hell, even saying that just because you are Catalan makes you care more doesn't register. I doubt there are many, but I'm sure there exist plenty of Catalan citizens who couldn't give two shits about how or what FC Barcelona does on or off the pitch. Your level of fandom is so subjective that it's almost ludicrous to try to argue it...but here I am.
post #620 of 3717
The last two pages have been completely idiotic. I guess the LA Galaxy is the only team I'm allowed to support, and I can no longer be a Florida State or Tampa Bay Bucs fan either. Well, regardless of Sir Humphrey having his head up his ass, I'll still support Arsenal.
post #621 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post

I'll repeat myself, it's never easy to defend being a true fan of a team whose only down years in 8 years is finishing top 2 in the league. But what am I supposed to do? Follow Newcastle since it makes me more legit?

I can tell you this...nothing made me more sick to my stomach for DAYS than watching my team give their hated rivals the Pasillo....
258

or spectacularly flaming out in the Copa Del Rey vs. Getafe in 06/07 where they blew a 3-4 goal lead going into the second leg.

NO...I wasn't born into following them, but however I got here, I'm now HERE and I will be a supporter of this team till the day I die. Hell, even saying that just because you are Catalan makes you care more doesn't register. I doubt there are many, but I'm sure there exist plenty of Catalan citizens who couldn't give two shits about how or what FC Barcelona does on or off the pitch. Your level of fandom is so subjective that it's almost ludicrous to try to argue it...but here I am.

You might well be a loyal fan, you just have no way of proving it like people 20-25 years old (i.e. my age) had no way of proving they were loyal Leeds fans until 2003-2010. I really don't understand how you can hate Real Madrid from that far away, tbf I really couldn't care less about Barcelona other than they play nice football (interspersed with a bit of cheating) but I can't stand to look at that picture because it shows a team applauding the players that have probably just had their coach bricked by the Barca fans. Leeds did that last season to QPR, easily the worst moment of last season including Barnsley and Preston.

I'd say losing to Getafe would hurt you just as much as losing to Espanyol in the same manner.
post #622 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC2823 View Post

The last two pages have been completely idiotic. I guess the LA Galaxy is the only team I'm allowed to support, and I can no longer be a Florida State or Tampa Bay Bucs fan either. Well, regardless of Sir Humphrey having his head up his ass, I'll still support Arsenal.

I have met some truly amazing people supporting Leeds and compared to many I'm a complete non-fanatic.
post #623 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby View Post


I'd say losing to Getafe would hurt you just as much as losing to Espanyol in the same manner.

Do you not understand sports at all? Seriously, are you so socially inept and blinded by reality that you can't understand how sports fans operate?

As a Dodgers fan, losing to the Giants hurts a lot more than any other team.
As a Lakers fan, losing to the Celtics in the finals is worse than say the Atlanta Hawks.

They're called rivalries for a reason.
post #624 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby View Post


I have met some truly amazing people supporting Leeds and compared to many I'm a complete non-fanatic.

This has nothing to do with my assessment. I couldn't give two shits about who you support.
post #625 of 3717
It's official: Claudio Ranieri (+ 4 of his assistants) to coach Inter starting tomorrow.
Good luck!
post #626 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC2823 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby View Post


I'd say losing to Getafe would hurt you just as much as losing to Espanyol in the same manner.

Do you not understand sports at all? Seriously, are you so socially inept and blinded by reality that you can't understand how sports fans operate?

As a Dodgers fan, losing to the Giants hurts a lot more than any other team.
As a Lakers fan, losing to the Celtics in the finals is worse than say the Atlanta Hawks.

They're called rivalries for a reason.
That's my point - you only get that local rivalry if you have a connection to the city. Scummers hate us because we're from Leeds, we hate scummers because they're from Manchester. Guildford Reds could never understand why their fans were so up for this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC2823 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby View Post


I have met some truly amazing people supporting Leeds and compared to many I'm a complete non-fanatic.

This has nothing to do with my assessment. I couldn't give two shits about who you support.
You said I was up my own ass, I gave a reason why I am not. I cannot talk about how far supporters of other teams go because I have not met any that go to literally every game.
post #627 of 3717
madrid drop more points lol
post #628 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahanshah View Post

madrid drop more points lol

Don't get me started.

Should I really be this upset though, given SHA's reasoning? To a team from the backwater of Cantabria, nonetheless?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? ffffuuuu.gif

Sidenote: Pleased to see Hargreaves get on the sheet for ManCity. Good for him. Now please stay healthy.
post #629 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post


Don't get me started.

Should I really be this upset though, given SHA's reasoning? To a team from the backwater of Cantabria, nonetheless?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? ffffuuuu.gif

baldy[1].gif It would hurt about as much as any local team of the same standard by my reasoning. Local rivalries don't matter to people with no connection to Madrid, its about how good the other club's squad is not where they are from.
post #630 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby View Post

***

SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP

You say you are a real fan of the game while the rest of us are not? Then why is it that we are talking about the game, while you just attempt to bait people into confrontation? You are shitting up a good thread and have contributed absolutely nothing of interest. Thanks asshole!

Talk about the game or leave this thread to people who will.

btw You have no idea why anyone supports any particular club until they tell you, so don't make assumptions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012