or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012 - Page 35

post #511 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLester View Post

Ronaldo is incredibly talented and one of the most dangerous players on the pitch, but I find his public image to be facepalm.gif and would like him to show some humility and gratefulness for his gifts from time to time. (this is partly why I own a Sergio Ramos RM jersey instead of a Ronaldo jersey)

It is never going to happen, so no point in hoping for it.

related, I saw a Ronaldo header in a recent game and was reminded of how much force he puts into it. He heads the ball with his entire body, if that makes sense. The ball roared at the goal with force and smashed off the crossbar. Impressive. If his head had collided with a defenders head or keeper's fist he would have been knocked unconscious.



His heading is quite underrated. He scores a fair few with his dome piece, and has excellent technique and as you mentioned, power. I think his image as a "flair player" is why he doesn't get much credit for a dirty job like headers.
post #512 of 3717
If you haven't already watched the Castrol video of the science behind CR7 you should. He's a damn thoroughbred
post #513 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Never seen that one myself - but I love the madness behind analyzing penalties.
It's not a soccer book, really; it's a novel about a retired goalie who murders a woman, etc...Not a thriller, though, it's about language, society, confusion, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon 
The first of Peter Handke's novels to be published in English, "The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick" is a true modern classic that "portrays the…breakdown of a murderer in ways that recall Camus's "The Stranger". (Richard Locke, The New York Times)

The self-destruction of a soccer goalie turned construction worker who wanders aimlessly around a stifling Austrian border town after pursuing and then murdering, almost unthinkingly, a female movie cashier is mirrored by his use of direct, sometimes fractured prose that conveys "at its best a seamless blend of lyricism and horror seen in the runes of a disintegrating world". (Bill Marx, Boston Sunday Globe)
Wim Wenders then made a film based on the book (Handke collaborated with Wenders on several films, including the screenplay for "Wings of Desire".



I'll check out the Kuper books too. Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by shahanshah View Post

If you haven't already watched the Castrol video of the science behind CR7 you should. He's a damn thoroughbred

I'm watching it now. It's fascinating. I'm still on Part 1, but the straight/zig-zag sprint comparisons between CR and the Spanish sprinter Rodriguez are very interesting. The thing looks very well made.

"Ronaldo has 3% less body fat than a super-model." lol8[1].gif

Here are the youtube episodes:
CRISTIANO RONALDO - TESTED TO THE LIMIT
Part 1 - Body Strength

Part 2 - Mental Ability

Part 3 - Technique

Part 4 - Skill
post #514 of 3717
I think the dude is supremely talented and a huge twat, and somehow manages to have his twattiness (twat-ocrity?) outweigh his talent....that's probably the most impressive thing about him.

With that said...the shooting the ball in the dark bit was probably the coolest. His brain was able to extrapolate where in space the ball would be.
post #515 of 3717
I agree with that. Twaticity is another option. Twatishness. Twatocentricity. Twat, this list could get long!

To put it in simpler terms, he's a great, great player, but he's no Divin Codino.



I thought the production on the Castrol film was a bit overdone in the end. Still, the skills....

post #516 of 3717
This is what happened to him this week in the CL match
150

He still finished the game without a complaint, and was whistled at by opposing fans. In a post-match interview he basically said he didn't care because he was young, excellent player, rich and handsome and they were envious LOL his cockiness is hugely entertaining

"Messi or Ronaldo best player in the world? In the world, I would say Ronaldo. Messi is from another planet"
satisfied.gif
post #517 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahanshah View Post

This is what happened to him this week in the CL match.

He still finished the game without a complaint, and was whistled at by opposing fans. In a post-match interview he basically said he didn't care because he was young, excellent player, rich and handsome and they were envious LOL his cockiness is hugely entertaining.
puzzled.gif
No complaining? He complains all the time!


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian 
Cristiano Ronaldo: "I'm booed because I'm rich, handsome and brilliant."
• Real Madrid forward reacts to hostile reception in Croatia
• Portugal star makes no mention of reputation for play-acting


Cristiano Ronaldo has reacted to being booed by Dinamo Zagreb supporters on Wednesday night by claiming that the hostile reception the Real Madrid playmaker receives from opposing fans is only because he is "rich, handsome and a great player." The Portuguese made no mention of his reputation for play-acting and diving.

Ronaldo, speaking after Wednesday's 1-0 Champions League win at Dinamo Zagreb, cited only his success and appearance as reasons why he is jeered. He also stated that he was angry regarding a lack of protection from referees. In the Group D opener in Croatia he was the target of some tough challenges, including one that drew blood on his right ankle.

Asked about the behaviour of the Dinamo fans, who gave him a welcome that the Portuguese can attract on a regular basis each week in La Liga, he said: "I think that because I am rich, handsome and a great player people are envious of me. I don't have any other explanation. We are very happy with the three points we took, but I'm not so satisfied with the refereeing."

"I hope we never have this referee again. People talk of fair play, of protecting good players, but I never get any of that. I don't understand a thing. I'm sad because I hear referees saying they will protect skilful players, but while some are untouchable it seems I can be mauled."



facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif
Twatitocity defined....

post #518 of 3717
i said he finished the game without a complaint, as in complaining about his bleeding foot during the course of the game. the rest of your post is exactly what i expanded on which is the funniest part--his cockiness is great entertainment
post #519 of 3717
Short of rare outbursts like the lines above, I haven't found Ronaldo's personality as prima-donna-ish as during his time at ManU.

I think he is growing up (a bit...) - It's a strange thing, having a child. Does things to you that you'd never expect. I also read somewhere that after his father died, he completely gave up alcohol and the party-boy post-game lifestyle, so I've got to hand that to him.

And I wouldn't be surprised, honestly, that defenders take extra knocks at him just because he is Ronaldo. "I'm the guy that put Ronaldo out for six months - " blah blah blah

Of course Messi is a seemingly complete homebody who wouldn't be caught dead in a compromising situation. I personally like that - when pro athletes completely separate their private life from their persona. So points for both of the world's best there.

Thanks too for those video links posted, Venessian - I'm eager to watch those now after all I've heard about this Castrol analysis.
post #520 of 3717
One thing that bothers me is the fact that Ronaldo played in England for 6 years, yet his English is absolutely shit.
post #521 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post

One thing that bothers me is the fact that Ronaldo played in England for 6 years, yet his English is absolutely shit.

? - I think he manages himself pretty well for a Latin. Far superior to Carlos Tevez, at least.
post #522 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahanshah View Post

i said he finished the game without a complaint, as in complaining about his bleeding foot during the course of the game. the rest of your post is exactly what i expanded on which is the funniest part--his cockiness is great entertainment
Got it. You're right, I've seldom seen him complain during a match. I find him less cocky and more pompous, though, I guess. But either way, yes, entertaining in a way. I prefer more class and humility from the stars, but CR is still fairly young. At least he's no Balotelli.


Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Short of rare outbursts like the lines above, I haven't found Ronaldo's personality as prima-donna-ish as during his time at ManU.

I think he is growing up (a bit...) - It's a strange thing, having a child. Does things to you that you'd never expect. I also read somewhere that after his father died, he completely gave up alcohol and the party-boy post-game lifestyle, so I've got to hand that to him.

And I wouldn't be surprised, honestly, that defenders take extra knocks at him just because he is Ronaldo. "I'm the guy that put Ronaldo out for six months - " blah blah blah

Of course Messi is a seemingly complete homebody who wouldn't be caught dead in a compromising situation. I personally like that - when pro athletes completely separate their private life from their persona. So points for both of the world's best there.

Thanks too for those video links posted, Venessian - I'm eager to watch those now after all I've heard about this Castrol analysis.
Good for him re: the alcohol/party life. I don't know if this is true (I hope it is) apparently when he was in LA on vacation, Paris Hilton was all over him and he gave her a big, fat, Portuguese "Nada."....
I do like Messi too.

The videos are OK, the skills insane, the tests intersting; I just wish there were a bit more skills and a bit less hype/production, but it is a commercial film I guess.
Capello and Wenger are in awe of him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post


? - I think he manages himself pretty well for a Latin. Far superior to Carlos Tevez, at least.
Yeah, it seemed his English was pretty good in those videos.
post #523 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by venessian View Post

Got it. You're right, I've seldom seen him complain during a match. I find him less cocky and more pompous, though, I guess. But either way, yes, entertaining in a way. I prefer more class and humility from the stars, but CR is still fairly young. At least he's no Balotelli.

Balotelli is the best current troll in professional football. And before him, the masta troll was big Z. CR has a long way to go before he reaches Zlatan-level cockiness icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #524 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post


? - I think he manages himself pretty well for a Latin. Far superior to Carlos Tevez, at least.

Superior to Tevez, sure, but he can barely string two words together.
post #525 of 3717
Not that hard to speak better english then Tevez. He was in court the other day for not responding to a letter in regards to a speeding offence and his excuse was that he doesn't handle his own mail since he doesn't understand english.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012