Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012 - Page 170

post #2536 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

What's the rule on that? I know that keepers will often get away w/ contact in challenges that a defender never could imagine, and it's brushed off as the keeper being heroic.
The commentators on my (spanish) feed of Fox Sports were all in agreement that Abbiati's challenge wasn't a penalty at all. (Yes, it was on Alexis Sanchez)

My take on the actual event was that the ref felt Sanchez played the ball ahead of himself in a way that he would never be able to recover. It might have been a foul but he bascially kicked the ball out of bounds.
post #2537 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

My take on the actual event was that the ref felt Sanchez played the ball ahead of himself in a way that he would never be able to recover. It might have been a foul but he bascially kicked the ball out of bounds.

this is up to ref interpretation (as well as the drunkards they hire to man the touchlines in UEFA competitions), because players sometimes anticipate contact and push the ball out of the way but would have no chance of keeping control even if not impeded.

also direction of the run is important according to FIFA regulations, so if, for example, you run toward the corner flag it weighs against you in the ref's decision (well is supposed to).
post #2538 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

My take on the actual event was that the ref felt Sanchez played the ball ahead of himself in a way that he would never be able to recover. It might have been a foul but he bascially kicked the ball out of bounds.

+1 It would've been really rough if the referee had called a penalty. The ball was near to being out by the time the keeper contacted Sanchez.
post #2539 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

My take on the actual event was that the ref felt Sanchez played the ball ahead of himself in a way that he would never be able to recover. It might have been a foul but he bascially kicked the ball out of bounds.

This must have been the reasoning. We have all seen similar incidents called and not called, so I can't fault the ref too much.

The draw was fair in the end. Barca's shooting touch was off --- due in large part to Milan's defending. Barca can't complain.
post #2540 of 3717
I would have sided with no penalty...his last touch rocketed the ball out of bounds. But it sure was close....keeper got all player.
post #2541 of 3717
Lets argue players....

Top 5 goalkeepers in the world (active), in order:

Manuel Neuer
Iker Casillas
Julio Cesar
Gianluigi Buffon
Joe Hart


Honorables:

Michel Vorm - this kid is an incredible goalkeeper - will become best in the world, mark my words
Igor Akinfeev
Reina & Valdes
Brad Friedel - deserves the plaudit. 40. Never misses a game. Can you think of the last time he bungled it?
Christian Abbiati
post #2542 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Lets argue players....
Top 5 goalkeepers in the world (active), in order:
Manuel Neuer
Iker Casillas
Julio Cesar
Gianluigi Buffon
Joe Hart
Honorables:
Michel Vorm - this kid is an incredible goalkeeper - will become best in the world, mark my words
Igor Akinfeev
Reina & Valdes
Brad Friedel - deserves the plaudit. 40. Never misses a game. Can you think of the last time he bungled it?
Christian Abbiati

1. Iker Casillas
2. Petr Cech
3. Manuel Neuer
4. Julia Cesar
5. Maarten Stekelenburg
post #2543 of 3717
San Iker
The rest.

I think Valdes is overrated (being a Madrid fanboy, of course) - but with how little pressure he's under I think it's hard to get a really good read on him. I don't think the weak link at the back is Puyol or Pique, and Valdes decision making is sketchy at times, playing out the back to Pique when being swarmed. I think he'd be exposed as lower class than he is if someone could take consistant shots at him. He's made fabulous saves, and I do think he's great, but not up there with the elite.

Neuer is good, and will only get better. Kahn pt. 2.

Buffon at 3 or so.

Cesar was fantastic 3-4 years ago, but has fallen off his perch.

Hart needs to stand up on the international stage and make a statement to crack top-5 I think.

Abbiati is good.

Have never understood the hype behind Reina. It's rough though when you're so highly regarded and still behind Casillas and Valdes in the nat'l pecking order.
post #2544 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

San Iker
The rest.
I think Valdes is overrated (being a Madrid fanboy, of course) - but with how little pressure he's under I think it's hard to get a really good read on him. I don't think the weak link at the back is Puyol or Pique, and Valdes decision making is sketchy at times, playing out the back to Pique when being swarmed. I think he'd be exposed as lower class than he is if someone could take consistant shots at him. He's made fabulous saves, and I do think he's great, but not up there with the elite.
Neuer is good, and will only get better. Kahn pt. 2.
Buffon at 3 or so.
Cesar was fantastic 3-4 years ago, but has fallen off his perch.
Hart needs to stand up on the international stage and make a statement to crack top-5 I think.
Abbiati is good.
Have never understood the hype behind Reina. It's rough though when you're so highly regarded and still behind Casillas and Valdes in the nat'l pecking order.



Vades is overatted... as a matter of fact, I really believe that the back 4 is terrible but we'll never know because the ball never gets past Pique.

 

 

as for Joe HArt.. let's not mention the English when it comes to modern elite goalies. this has clearly been their acheilles heel and there is no way you can convince me that Hart is better than Robinson or David James in their primes. he is another overatted player.

 

 

imo Krul is the best Goalie in the EPL.. in fact I could go ahead and say he should be starting over stekelenburg in the dutch team

 

 

here are my top 10 anyways:

  1. Iker
  2. Iker
  3. Iker
  4. Iker
  5. Iker
  6. Neuer
  7. Buffon
  8. Abbiati
  9. Krul
  10. stekelenburg
post #2545 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Neuer is good, and will only get better. Kahn pt. 2.

haven't seen enough to judge. saw some mistakes recently and we all thank olli for the 2002 WC performance in the final...
post #2546 of 3717
Stilian Petrov diagnosed with Leukaemia. The vast majority of people start trying to outdo everybody else's level of grief. Hope he gets better. Haven't got enough petrol to get to the Leeds game today so I'm watching my local non league side, they've hit a bad run of form recently but are up near the top of the table having been promoted a couple of seasons in a row.

Post match edit: what a wank match, might as well have gone to the Leeds game apart from the fact I saved myself a four hour round trip and £25. Nice puppy next to us though.
Edited by Sir Humphrey Appleby - 3/31/12 at 9:05am
post #2547 of 3717
City are doing their best to make United as comfortable as possible. Balotelli arguing with Kolarov was pretty interesting. Sunderland took advantage of their chances, and they looked really solid for the majority of the match. City's defense was shoddy the entire match, and they didn't attack with much effort until they dropped two down.
post #2548 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullytra View Post

City are doing their best to make United as comfortable as possible. Balotelli arguing with Kolarov was pretty interesting. Sunderland took advantage of their chances, and they looked really solid for the majority of the match. City's defense was shoddy the entire match, and they didn't attack with much effort until they dropped two down.

I'm really pulling for City to win the league, but they're not doing themselves any favors.
post #2549 of 3717
post #2550 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post


I'm really pulling for City to win the league, but they're not doing themselves any favors.


If Utd wins it this season it will be the funniest win in league history. there is no reason for Fergie to lift the trophy with no mid field.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012