or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012 - Page 112

post #1666 of 3717
i would like to ask the glory hunters of manchester, either team, what it's like to be in the europa league ? since, being an arsenal supporter, i expect to cement our place there quite soon


what an awful match i didn't even watch plain.gif
post #1667 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Yup. Or Denilson part 2. Although at a smaller club like Betis he was servicable.
Its because I happened to suggest it.
Whoever mentioned his pace, pfff, bullshit. He's far from just a burst of speed. His touch is brilliant and he can score great goals. Scored one last night. And can play the wing and as a defender. And if he loses his pace, great technical ability to move into central midfield.

I agree that Bale is more than just pace, but you're wrong on a couple points. First, he can't really play as a defender, hence why he was moved to midfield. Even with his fantastic speed he gets beaten way too often. Second, it takes more than "great technical ability" to be a good central midfielder, and Ryan Giggs switching positions successfully is the exception, not the rule.
post #1668 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post

I agree that Bale is more than just pace, but you're wrong on a couple points. First, he can't really play as a defender, hence why he was moved to midfield. Even with his fantastic speed he gets beaten way too often. Second, it takes more than "great technical ability" to be a good central midfielder, and Ryan Giggs switching positions successfully is the exception, not the rule.

Will be interesting to see. I'm betting he'll be fine. Giggs, Pires, Figo, they all managed.

I dont recall his getting beaten on defense. In fact, the way I remember Redknapp describing it was that this kid was way too good to keep tucked in the back 4 and could do more in midfield. He was a defender most of his career. If this was true I dont see how he progressed to bigger clubs.
Edited by idfnl - 2/1/12 at 4:48pm
post #1669 of 3717
excellent work to hold off on announcing wilshire's problems (or the "new" extent of his problems) just after the window closes ...
post #1670 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Good players, but I wouldnt trade Bale for any of them. Neymar could end up the exception there but he's far from proven.
Ya dude, I base my thoughts on 2 games. Or, um, maybe I was giving an example. Are you so literal that I need to post 40 vids to make a point? FFS.
I know bro. If he doesnt play for Barca its not a discussion worth having. The only dumb part is how you can't allow other people to have an opinion.

did you watch inter v palermo? milito scored 4, miccoli scored 3. Miccoli and Giovinco are in the top 5 mids in the world, they are so underrated it sickens me. I'd love for inter to pick up giovinco and sell snjeider because it seems they are doing it in the summer anyway after juventus fololishly let him go.
post #1671 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

Regardless of his age, Puyol is still good on set pieces.

you serious? the goal against valencia was utter garbage. The goalie came out for no apparent reason (mistake #1) and the defender was nowhere to be found (mistake #2) if the goalie stayed put that would have been a fairly pedestrian save.
post #1672 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybear View Post

did you watch inter v palermo? milito scored 4, miccoli scored 3. Miccoli and Giovinco are in the top 5 mids in the world, they are so underrated it sickens me. I'd love for inter to pick up giovinco and sell snjeider because it seems they are doing it in the summer anyway after juventus fololishly let him go.

Speaking of un-noticed talent. My god Michel Vorm is an amazing goalkeeper. Plays for Swansea.
post #1673 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Will be interesting to see. I'm betting he'll be fine. Giggs, Pires, Figo, they all managed.
I dont recall his getting beaten on defense. In fact, the way I remember Redknapp describing it was that this kid was way too good to keep tucked in the back 4 and could do more in midfield. He was a defender most of his career. If this was true I dont see how he progressed to bigger clubs.

Not only is that inaccurate, but that reasoning is silly. Dani Alves and Maicon are two perfect examples of skilled, technical attacking fullbacks who by that logic should be played in midfield.

Bale simply was not a very good fullback, hence why he never blossomed until he was switched into midfield. He's in a similar boat to Michel Bastos, who's normally a winger but plays (rather poorly) as a fullback for the national team.
post #1674 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by xudisco07 View Post

Why do they still play Boswingwa? He is horrible, he brings the ball up, crosses to no one, then tries to defend and can barely do that. They also attack the same way, bring the ball up the sides and cross, but we never score on that. Also, I don't understand why AVB did not want to buy a cup tied champions league player. Sure, they can't play in the champions league (and who are we kidding, we won't get far), but at this rate we won't even make it into champions league next year.

I assume they play Bos because he is one of the few healthy people in a team that is defensively thin.

It is an ugly year, like growing out a bad haircut. If we can keep our CL spot and pick up maybe Hazard over the summer, I would consider that success under the circumstances. In the meantime we should play our kids too. Lukaku should get time.

It will be hard to judge AVB fairly until he can build his own squad. Right now he is stuck with Mourinho zombie dead-enders, stop-gap randoms collected over the years, petrobillionaire impulse buys, a few promising kids and Mata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Bale is the 3rd best player in the world IMO.

Bale is great but this is over-reaching.

fwiw I was the first one to post that Bale/Inter vid in this threak a few months ago. Quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

Yet Spain plays ball together and wins championships while England has been disappointing.

England are terrible. They don't play football like English. No heart, no fight, no one gives a shit. Why is that?
Edited by DLester - 2/1/12 at 9:38pm
post #1675 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

Wish I wasn't. They aren't playing well - looks like last week.ffffuuuu.gif Things just aren't really coming together. Of course Valencia is a good team and they have a lot of people injured, but still. Cuenca is looking pretty good though.

Worst game in recent memory messi has played. Blocked penalty, tons of bad touches, intercepted passes, shots way off target. He wasn't himself.

No Xavi, Don Andres, Messi off, shaky ass defense...and playing dudes named Cuenca and Tello....I asked for a scored draw and I got it. I'm happy.

Game probably deserved a 2-2 score, though.
post #1676 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post

Worst game in recent memory messi has played. Blocked penalty, tons of bad touches, intercepted passes, shots way off target. He wasn't himself.
No Xavi, Don Andres, Messi off, shaky ass defense...and playing dudes named Cuenca and Tello....I asked for a scored draw and I got it. I'm happy.
Game probably deserved a 2-2 score, though.

To be fair though, the team that was out there yesterday differed very significantly from Barcelona of a year ago. Fabregas, Sanchez, Cuenca, Thiago. I'm a fan of both Cuenca and Thiago, but they are very young. If that were suddenly the new starting 11, I would expect it to take some time for them to gel together.

All that being said, I still think they could have performed better. A slump, I guess.
post #1677 of 3717
SJR8W.jpg
post #1678 of 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

To be fair though, the team that was out there yesterday differed very significantly from Barcelona of a year ago. Fabregas, Sanchez, Cuenca, Thiago. I'm a fan of both Cuenca and Thiago, but they are very young. If that were suddenly the new starting 11, I would expect it to take some time for them to gel together.
All that being said, I still think they could have performed better. A slump, I guess.

Oh, I agree. Cuenca, Tello, Thiago...those dudes can play. In fact, Cuenca was one of the best on the night. It's amazing to watch these kids from La Masia just plug and play without skipping a beat.

Definitely a slump of sorts...all these games and injuries catches up to a team.
post #1679 of 3717
Sup Zizou
post #1680 of 3717
A lot of heavy first touches in that game. Messi, Cesc, Thiago, Sanchez . . . everyone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012