or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Propecia Users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Propecia Users - Page 2

post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblehair
What about Procerin has anyone used it? And what are your thoughts?

http://www.procerin.com/index.html

A well-known and well-marketed hoax. Don't be a sucker.
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector
A well-known and well-marketed hoax. Don't be a sucker.

Thanks...
Looking into some preventative things just in case
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector
A well-known and well-marketed hoax. Don't be a sucker.


Why is that? Natural ingredients don't fight DHT?
post #19 of 30
Natural ingredients will inhibit DHT but Procerin is widely regarded as a scam. They have hundreds of fake scientific sites selling it. The formula just hasn't been shown by actual users that I've read to be effective. If you want an all natural topical DHT inhibitor then try www.revivogen.com. Also, you could try www.folligen.com.

As I've stated before I don't think lowering DHT in the body is a good thing at all. New research, as well as my own thought, is that DHT is not the smoking gun at all. Inflammation, superoxides, etc are the culprit. You can try to eliminate DHT topically but good luck getting any results, they just aren't potent enough and don't absorb well enough. If you catch things super early on, you may delay things for a little while at best.

I would try my big 4. If anything, it is just good for you no matter what. If you are hellbent on lowering your DHT internally using supplements you can try Saw Palmetto, which is often the active ingredient in topical treatments. You could also try (going from memory) Zinc, Beta Sitosterol, Stinging Nettle Root Extract.... the list goes on.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I'll just repost. I take a crapload of stuff but here are the BIG 4 I'd try before anything else. This was my baseline regimen before tinkering with additions.

Potent fish oil 3x a day (3g total). I get NatureMade from Costco.

1g Blackcurrant Oil (1 of these):
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Black-Currant-Oil

(~400mg) Grape See Extract (1 of these 2x a day):
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-ActiVin-Grape-Seed-Extract

Good Multi-vitamin (2x a day):
http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-Dual...la-200-Tablets

Take them with food.
I didn't start the threads. Also this probably won't work too well for areas that have been slick bald for longer than a few months. My hair is still pretty good but it was on the way out. It regenerated the ailing (miniaturizing) follicles.

Well, I am on your regimen and off Propecia now having read some pretty horrific stuff about it on the internet. Making people mentally fuzzy and so forth. I never really noticed any side effects, but I am always fuzzy before the morning Americano, so who knows. In any case, I'm done taking chances. So far so good with the new regime, although something seems to be turning my urine optic yellow.... But whatever.

I just wanted to bring your attention, however, to the fact that your "big four" is not heavy on biotin at all. The multivitamin you recommend seems to underweigh it (2 pills = 50% RDA). I will probably add a separate Biotin supplement to round that out.
post #21 of 30
I just read this thread as my bottle of propecia is down to 2 pills. I got a transplant then developed perifolliculitis about a year later. My dermatologist recommended doxycyclene which has gotten rid of the "peri" and now I'm on Oracea(a different form of "doxy" and lower maintenance dose). I also bought a Hairmax laser comb and it works great. My hair was thinning out quite a bit with the peri but it has thickened up quite nicely now and is getting thicker. I also recently have been trying emu oil and it seems to work good for the hair and dryness, rashes (rosacea, pressure hives, etc) on other areas of my skin.

For what it's worth my transplant surgeon recommends the hairmax and the folligen products. American Crew also makes a line called revitalize which has the same copper peptides as the folligen line.
post #22 of 30
I tried Folligen years ago and thought it did stop the shedding, I need to go back on it.
Bachbeat- aside from the problems with your transplant, do you like the aesthetic results?
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Well, I am on your regimen and off Propecia now having read some pretty horrific stuff about it on the internet. Making people mentally fuzzy and so forth. I never really noticed any side effects, but I am always fuzzy before the morning Americano, so who knows. In any case, I'm done taking chances. So far so good with the new regime, although something seems to be turning my urine optic yellow.... But whatever. I just wanted to bring your attention, however, to the fact that your "big four" is not heavy on biotin at all. The multivitamin you recommend seems to underweigh it (2 pills = 50% RDA). I will probably add a separate Biotin supplement to round that out.
Be sure to spread those supplements throughout the day. Drink plenty of water and you'll get some clear urine. I'm thinking it is the multi vitamin might be turning the urine yellow if you are taking the same one I take. You can supplement biotin, I have not tried it yet. I may though. Biotin is Vitamin B7, so you could either take just biotin, or you could take a B-complex vitamin. Vitacost has plenty to choose from. My next order from vitacost I will get some straight up biotin I think. I'm not really sure of the vehicle by which biotin works. I have been mainly focusing on essential fatty acids and anti-oxidants. I'll look into it but I have heard good things about biotin too but not as good as the big 4 I use. edit: doesn't seem like most b-complex vitamins contain much biotin. I'm going to buy some of these my next order off vitacost: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Biotin not sure how many capsules I'll take just yet. One thing to keep in mind is to attack things sequentially. First start with attacking essential fatty acids imbalance and anti-oxidants then start attacking things from other angles. Biotin has been shown to help improve hair quality mostly from what I've been reading from other users but not actually regrow or maintain hair significantly, it is so cheap though, why not add it in.
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts4them
I tried Folligen years ago and thought it did stop the shedding, I need to go back on it.
Bachbeat- aside from the problems with your transplant, do you like the aesthetic results?

I just recently went back on folligen and Dr. Pickart's Super Cop. My whole theory is that topicals will only work once you settle the imbalance internally. If you have some folligen around put some under your eyes before bed, it'll make those bags go away under your eyes if you have any.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector

edit: doesn't seem like most b-complex vitamins contain much biotin. I'm going to buy some of these my next order off vitacost: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Biotin not sure how many capsules I'll take just yet. One thing to keep in mind is to attack things sequentially. First start with attacking essential fatty acids imbalance and anti-oxidants then start attacking things from other angles. Biotin has been shown to help improve hair quality mostly from what I've been reading from other users but not actually regrow or maintain hair significantly, it is so cheap though, why not add it in.


Slightly off topic but, one of the things that helps get many of the nutrients you mentioned is "juicing". I think B7 is abundently found in carrots and the other nutrients you mentioned are found in various fruits. There are specific formulations of fruits that one can mix in a juicer and it tastes great. Plus, one gets the benefit of living enzymes.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13
Slightly off topic but, one of the things that helps get many of the nutrients you mentioned is "juicing". I think B7 is abundently found in carrots and the other nutrients you mentioned are found in various fruits. There are specific formulations of fruits that one can mix in a juicer and it tastes great. Plus, one gets the benefit of living enzymes.

You can juice, I'm not an expert in it, but keep in mind a couple of things:

1) food these days is irradiated. This kills pests and bacteria but it also "kills" the enzymes and various vitamins. Food you get in the supermarket has far fewer nutrients than food you grow yourself. I take a digestive enzyme with large meals. Animal based digestive enzymes work later in the digestive tract, vegetable based ones (the ones you should look at) start digestion once they are swallowed in the stomach. Food is so processed these days and the RDA is so far out of whack that you need to be careful.

2) juicing extracts fiber and loads up the calories. Be sure to get the proper amount of fiber you need. I am very bad at this but when I remember I eat a big bowl of Oat Bran cereal.
post #27 of 30
Just my two cents, and they are even contradicting each other!

1) Be wary of any sort of health/medical advice given third person over the 'Net
2) Remember drugs such as finasteride are metabolized through the liver. If your favorite hepatic passtime is metabolizing ETOH, save it for that!
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Just my two cents, and they are even contradicting each other! 1) Be wary of any sort of health/medical advice given third person over the 'Net 2) Remember drugs such as finasteride are metabolized through the liver. If your favorite hepatic passtime is metabolizing ETOH, save it for that!
Yes, I'm not a doctor, this is all from my own experience, but I wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't try or haven't already tried myself. On another note, finasteride ups your alcohol tolerance. It is being theorized as being used to treat alcoholism, which I find kinda scary. Also keep in mind that not all doctors are created equal either. 99.9% I would stay away from.
post #29 of 30
ts4them wrote: I tried Folligen years ago and thought it did stop the shedding, I need to go back on it.
Bachbeat- aside from the problems with your transplant, do you like the aesthetic results?


I didn't have problems as a result of the transplant. The peri is a condition that can suddenly happen to someone. It is too bad that it causes hair loss but it's good I got it diagnosed in time. Not much is known about it but the doxycycline works for me.

I do like the results and now that the peri is under control I am confident my hair will continue to thicken.
post #30 of 30
Who was your doc? The only HT doc I'd trust is Alvi Armani. Yes, I need an Armani hairline to match my Armani suit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bachbeet
ts4them wrote: I tried Folligen years ago and thought it did stop the shedding, I need to go back on it.
Bachbeat- aside from the problems with your transplant, do you like the aesthetic results?


I didn't have problems as a result of the transplant. The peri is a condition that can suddenly happen to someone. It is too bad that it causes hair loss but it's good I got it diagnosed in time. Not much is known about it but the doxycycline works for me.

I do like the results and now that the peri is under control I am confident my hair will continue to thicken.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Propecia Users