or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Women in suits: a bad idea?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Women in suits: a bad idea? - Page 6

post #76 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by facet View Post
Yeah, she's a real pig.

I went to a BC Lions game once last year and saw TSN reporter, Sara Orlesky, standing on the sidelines. My camera is old; so it doesn't take very good photos; but it the photos give some idea of what she looked like. I don't recall her giving me a masculine vibe in her choice of attire.







Clearly, pantsuits make reporters look masculine and unattractive.

post #77 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
Just like men women have different body types. Didn't everybody learn this in their teens? Think of the three male body types Ectomorph Endo Meso Those translate fairly well to women . Most runway models since twiggy have been Ecto Apple women are Endos. You can find your own pictures of Rosanne Barr. Then you have true hourglass girls If you ignore the breasts the only difference between an hourglass girl and a male meso is the hips. Draw the line from the outside of her shoulders down her waist . You've got a V. Not just because her outfit is pulling her waist in. The hourglass top is a V. What looks good on somebody like Twiggy is going to look all wrong on Loren. Loren doesn't need shoulder pads and extend shoulders to create her shape.
Too true. Cutting a jacket of an hourglass seems to be beyond the pale for OTR. At least I haven't seen any good recent examples. New Look (like the first picture I posted) is an attempt to make an twig into an hourglass. A broad shouldered, narrow wasted, woman with hips would look pretty extreme in such a rig.
post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingOnIt View Post


Clearly, pantsuits make reporters look masculine and unattractive.


dat peephole
post #79 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
^^^ Ig'nance and the worst sort of juvenile faux liberalism. A skirt suit is the classic format of business suit for women. By the strictest business formal standards, a woman is supposed to wear a skirt suit, not a pant suit. In fact, if you've bothered to observe, women in positions of power commonly wear skirt suits. Hillary Clinton is ridiculed for her pant suits precisely because it is not the norm. Moreover, if you haven't noticed, men and women have different sorts of bodies. It's only to be expected that different sorts of clothing will best flatter those bodies. Anyway, I could make the equally stupid argument that you are a chauvinist for thinking that a woman must dress like a man to appear confident and sophisticated.
Lol, I'm sorry for butthurting you! I didn't take you for such a sensitive type. Anyway, I didn't say a woman should wear trousers out of liberalism or feminism, but because I don't think flaunting one's legs is appropriate or attractive when doing business or any serious work. It's my opinion that trouser suits are more impressive & look better on women than skirt suits. The fact that currently a skirt suit is the formal business dress standard for women is neither here nor there. The same applies to your Clinton anecdote. I don't see how you can think this point and related points add any sort of value to your argument. I didn't deny that women have different bodies to men, or that their suits should reflect that; in fact, I quite clearly said the suit should embrace the female [body & personality]. I don't see how a skirt reflects a woman's body shape, which is what you've suggested. We can't have control over each other's opinions, but you presented yours rather arrogantly and that annoyed me (especially since your ideas are so restrictive and indeed boring, hence 'backwards').
post #80 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
Lol, I'm sorry for butthurting you! I didn't take you for such a sensitive type. Anyway, I didn't say a woman should wear trousers out of liberalism or feminism, but because I don't think flaunting one's legs is appropriate or attractive when doing business or any serious work. It's my opinion that trouser suits are more impressive & look better on women than skirt suits. The fact that currently a skirt suit is the formal business dress standard for women is neither here nor there. The same applies to your Clinton anecdote. I don't see how you can think this point and related points add any sort of value to your argument. I didn't deny that women have different bodies to men, or that their suits should reflect that; in fact, I quite clearly said the suit should embrace the female [body & personality]. I don't see how a skirt reflects a woman's body shape, which is what you've suggested. We can't have control over each other's opinions, but you presented yours rather arrogantly and that annoyed me (especially since your ideas are so restrictive and indeed boring, hence 'backwards').
Oh, no one is as sensitive as Foo. Don't sweat it. so what do you think. business appropriate? I actually had an account rep show up in one of these.
post #81 of 95
I see a few women in suits every day on whom I think "That was a good idea."
post #82 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post


I actually had an account rep show up in one of these.

My former female boss would sometimes show up in theseShe got promoted suddenly but not because she knew what she was doing!
post #83 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
My former female boss would sometimes show up in theseShe got promoted suddenly but not because she knew what she was doing!
Oh, I'll bet she knew exactly what she was doing.
post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
Oh, I'll bet she knew exactly what she was doing.

Yup, you're right! I just thought it would backfire. Guess I was totally wrong
post #85 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrhye View Post
Found a big girl in a suit. That chick from Madmen. She's a little on the big side.

Would damage effectively.
post #86 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Elusive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrhye View Post
Found a big girl in a suit. That chick from Madmen. She's a little on the big side.

Would damage effectively.

Yeah...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #87 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarchist View Post
Not that I'm complaining, but that's a dress.
post #88 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
Not that I'm complaining, but that's a dress.

Yes, I'm aware of that.
post #89 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Yup, you're right! I just thought it would backfire. Guess I was totally wrong

This discussion seems odd to me. Suppose that she wouldn't have been promoted without dressing in a way that was too sexy for the environment. Were that so, then it's the persons promoting her who improperly allowed that to sway their decision. Aren't they the ones to blame for her promotion? Who has the power?

Suppose I have a female boss. I know she will promote me if I dress in a way she finds highly sexually attractive, and which is too sexy to be appropriate for the environment. Suppose the rest of my performance doesn't warrant a promotion. But I do dress that way, and she then promotes me. Who is to blame?
post #90 of 95
Maybe the OP's argument is only half right. Based on most people I have seen in suits, regardless of gender, 99% of them look ill fit in their suit. If the females in suits u have seen look ill fit, they're probably just meeting the social norm of such things
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Women in suits: a bad idea?