or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Am I crazy for wanting to lease a top-of-the-line 3-series out of college?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I crazy for wanting to lease a top-of-the-line 3-series out of college? - Page 13

post #181 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
*Sports car being something that is fun to drive on backroads. Typically this means that it is lightweight and handles well. See if you can't find an MGB or TR6 to drive and see if you like it. Also see if you cant find a suspension modified e21 or 2002 (The e21 being the first generation 3 series and the 2002 being the direct precursor to the three series).

Always thought an e21 or an e30 would be fun...at least when I was thinking it would be fun, e30s were cheeeeeeeap
post #182 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
am i crazy for keeping on clicking into this lousy freaking thread?
I've been asking myself the same question. I think its because I'm secretly hoping that he'll be dumb enough to get into a $600 a month lease. GF - how shitty is your driving record that you're paying $200 a month in insurance?
post #183 of 228
i'd lease an M3 convertible for $600. or even $700. too bad i just committed my car buying monies for the next 5 years
post #184 of 228
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
I've been asking myself the same question. I think its because I'm secretly hoping that he'll be dumb enough to get into a $600 a month lease.

GF - how shitty is your driving record that you're paying $200 a month in insurance?

My insurance is high because I got my license two years ago. Spotless record.
post #185 of 228
i think in grand SF tradition, you've got to lease the car now just to spite everybody
post #186 of 228
Just wanted to throw my opinion in the discussion: I am in a pretty similar position right now, I have been looking at more entry level BMW 3s, and Audi A4s (in both cases ~$40 000 vehicles) however, what I think I am going to end up doing is leasing a new VW Jetta. The new ones look sharp, and are surprisingly cheap. I am looking at leasing one with all the options I want for under $300 a month. I could probably afford something like an Audi A4 or a BMW 3, but I feel like I would be better off starting small, after all, this is just my first car, there's nothing stopping me from upgrading 4 years down the road. If I end up going for the Jetta, I will just be banking the difference. Feels like a solid plan to me.
post #187 of 228
Well, whatever you choose to do, keep posting on this and other issues you may have.

I have decided to live my life vicariously through your posts.

[Why Greenfrog when there is Foo, Spoo, Vox et al?

Because he is younger. Glory be to the young.]
post #188 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
okay, well this is where i currently stand. no matter what car i get, im probably going to be paying around $200 per month on insurance. i won't be spending too much on gas, so i will budget around $150 a month for that.

i definitely want to lease a car for 2 years (i think 3 is too long) because owning one (which would be used) doesn't seem to make sense for me right now.

what's a good budget for a lease? i spec'ed out a bottom of the line 2012 honda civic with a manual transmission and pretty much made it bare-bones and the lease cost was around $350 per month for 12k miles and 24 months!!! that was with 0 down and a $1,500 trade-in.

this is just fucking sad, spend a couple hundred more per month and lease the 3

no point in saving for some magical day when you can "afford" it. when you make more money, you will have more bills and its all goes out the same. hey i got a promotion, aw now i have mortgage payments, hey i got a better job, damn i have a kid, and so on, hello $1500 shooz ffs

in the immortal words of patrick ewing - we might make a lot of money, but we spend a lot money too

you say your parents saved up a bunch of money being tightfisted as fuck? are they going to take it with them? no they will die and leave the money to you so go get your bmw young man while you are alive to enjoy it
post #189 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
Always thought an e21 or an e30 would be fun...at least when I was thinking it would be fun, e30s were cheeeeeeeap

Yeah, I've got an e21 and it's a blast. I like e30's alright, but there's just something appealing about the 4 cylinder engines (M10) in the 2002 and the e21 as well a the lack of ABS and power steering that is particularly endearing. Also I still see a ton of e30's around, which decreases the appeal for me.
post #190 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
GF - how shitty is your driving record that you're paying $200 a month in insurance?

That would be pretty much the going rate AFAIK for a 22 year old driving a $50K automobile in a place like Boston. I mean it might be $170 but it's in that ballpark.
post #191 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentech View Post
leasing a new VW Jetta. The new ones look sharp, and are surprisingly cheap.
Don't do that. The new Jetta is a de-contented, poorly-built disgrace. It's a car that's cheap because it's cheap! If you're looking at a car in that class, get the Civic. Or get a 2009 Jetta.
post #192 of 228
I'm not going to read all this thread, read the first page. good choice not to get the car.

listen, start saving. get yourself a million bucks in life insurance, at 22 it will cost you nothing, when you are 40 it will cost you a hell of a lot more. then, put 10% of your salary into retirment. again, you start at 22 it is a hell of a lot better than starting at 40. then save what you need to live off of for 6 months. that is your safety net. after that, blow your money on anything that you want, get a gold plated bmw and snort cocaine off the hood.
post #193 of 228
Dude, are you going to drive a Honda? Of course, get the Bimmer! hahaha
post #194 of 228
$200 a month for insurance is pretty crazy,my insurance for 4 cars is $1000 a year. And no,don't buy a fucking BMW now,you haven't even started your job yet,what if they fire you in 2 months?
post #195 of 228
When I was 22 my insurance was about $100 a month in DC, including several speeding tickets. No idea what gf is doing...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Am I crazy for wanting to lease a top-of-the-line 3-series out of college?