or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suitsupply NYC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suitsupply NYC - Page 406

post #6076 of 7527

See if you can pay more to get quicker alterations.  My guy will speed up for more money but it is usually a 1.5 weeks wait.

 

The new collection has a couple of brown sportcoats that could get me to purchase.  Hopefully they are not too heavy as I already have 2 tweed jackets for the winter and hardly any summer items.

post #6077 of 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
 

Thanks MF for the reply! Although I'm afraid that with the wedding coming around real fast, she won't have the time to get into more advanced tailoring (letting out the waist and thighs). 

 

Well, I'm going to take back what I just said. I drove a 1h round trip to the next town and found a trust-worthy and competent tailor, whose willing to listen to my preferences instead of going with her outdated "standards".

 

She's gonna shorten the sleeves a little bit over ¼" but a little less than ½", she's going to hem the trousers a little bit more than 1" (no break), let out the thighs, seat/crotch and waist as much as she can with the provided extra fabric, she's gonna let out the upper back at the center seam to reduce the pulling between the shoulder blades and take in a tad the lower back/lumbar region at the center seam instead of the sides to make the midsection a little bit more tailored/trim without altering the clean drape of the front panels. She's also going to recut the collar because she finds the tailor I used first time around did one hell of a botched job, consequently she'll try to repair her errors. 

 

At first I only asked for trousers hem and sleeve shortening, considering the time left before the wedding, but she said that since it's for my wedding, she wants me looking my best and she'll work extra hours this week-end and on her vacation day (Monday) to make it happen for next Tuesday. I don't have to say that I'll tip her generously for her trouble, and I may have found a new go-to tailor!

post #6078 of 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
 

 

Well, I'm going to take back what I just said. I drove a 1h round trip to the next town and found a trust-worthy and competent tailor, whose willing to listen to my preferences instead of going with her outdated "standards".

 

She's gonna shorten the sleeves a little bit over ¼" but a little less than ½", she's going to hem the trousers a little bit more than 1" (no break), let out the thighs, seat/crotch and waist as much as she can with the provided extra fabric, she's gonna let out the upper back at the center seam to reduce the pulling between the shoulder blades and take in a tad the lower back/lumbar region at the center seam instead of the sides to make the midsection a little bit more tailored/trim without altering the clean drape of the front panels. She's also going to recut the collar because she finds the tailor I used first time around did one hell of a botched job, consequently she'll try to repair her errors. 

 

At first I only asked for trousers hem and sleeve shortening, considering the time left before the wedding, but she said that since it's for my wedding, she wants me looking my best and she'll work extra hours this week-end and on her vacation day (Monday) to make it happen for next Tuesday. I don't have to say that I'll tip her generously for her trouble, and I may have found a new go-to tailor!

 

Seems like you've found a fantastic tailor! I'm sure it'll turn out well, and don't forget to post a picture of the result. Hope you'll have a fantastic day on Tuesday!

post #6079 of 7527

Anyone know if suitsupply outlet is going to open up again soon?

post #6080 of 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMC View Post
 


Did you happen to receive that new Havana Navy Plain yet? I want to get one myself, but I was curious to see actual pictures. Thanks.

 

I actually just ordered it yesterday, with the light grey wool pants, and this shirt:

 

and this tie:

 

 

I'll post a quick set of pictures when I receive them (scheduled to arrive on Tuesday).

post #6081 of 7527

Any July 4 sales on Mid/Dark/ Charcoal Gray Suits? Something thats not too warm? 

post #6082 of 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprorules View Post
 

Anyone know if suitsupply outlet is going to open up again soon?

No Idea..I am just assuming  that it open around the same time it did last year(Oct/Nov). I am hoping a few items drop to $150 like last year

post #6083 of 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Engineer View Post

No Idea..I am just assuming  that it open around the same time it did last year(Oct/Nov). I am hoping a few items drop to $150 like last year


I agree. I'm starting to think it will be a yearly thing. I had hope they would do it twice a year, but it's starting to look like that won't happen.
post #6084 of 7527

Hey All,

 

Long time lurker, first time poster. Decided it was time to get myself a blazer and I settled on the Havana Navy. Wasnt too sure about the sizes so i ordered both a 48 and 50. What do you guys think fits best? 

 

I'm leaning towards the 50, as the shoulder sits a lot neater. I'm thinking i'll need to get the sleeves shortened a little and maybe the waist brought in as well. 


Any input would be great thanks :)

 

 

Size 50 (Click to show)

 

 

 

Size 48 (Click to show)

 

 

post #6085 of 7527

Looks like you could be a 40S or whatever that size is in international.  I like the look of the 48 as the 50 looks a little big and long but as you mentioned the shoulders on the 48 look a little messy.  The back looks great compared to others I have seen.

post #6086 of 7527

To my untrained eye, it looks like there is excess material in the 50 shoulders, while the 48 sits much better. Also, you might want to consider the 48 because the sleeves will need less work than the 50. Because of the working buttonholes, I don't think a tailor will be able to shorten them all the way up because the sleeve end will sit way too close - if not directly on - the first button. 

 

Others might want to chime in, but my bet is that the 48 might be the way to go!

post #6087 of 7527
48. do you have big traps? quite the ski slope from behind.
post #6088 of 7527

Indeed he looks like he has low shoulder insertion/attachment. I'Ve always wondered how it affects wearing suits, just as much as guys with very square shoulders. BTW, what Havana jacket is that? I'm waiting for mine tomorrow!

post #6089 of 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
 

 

I actually just ordered it yesterday, with the light grey wool pants, and this shirt:

 

and this tie:

 

 

I'll post a quick set of pictures when I receive them (scheduled to arrive on Tuesday).

 

Received this order 2 hours ago and threw the ensemble on for a quick fit assessment before going to sleep (working night shifts means going to sleep in the afternoon, I'm afraid). Here's my 2 cents, until I post some fit pictures when I have a chance later this week.

 

Jacket - definitively a keeper. If I thought my SS tuxedo fitted good, then this Havana sport coat is perfect right off the peg. The only alteration I'll need is a sleeve shortening and having the back-over-the-collar bump taken out (because of my square shoulders, this is mandatory on all of my jackets, so I don't really use it as a gauge of fit or quality). Not a single pull, not a single crease anywhere to be seen; the natural shoulder, I think, really flatters my broad shoulders.

 

Shirt - great fit overall - not perfect but better than what I own at the moment. The only thing bugging me is excess of fabric behind the armhole when standing still/straight. Is this removable, not worth it, or a deal breaker?

 

Trousers - love the fabric. Since my SS tuxedo trousers were quite tight and needed some tailoring done to let the thigh, seat, crotch and waist area out, I ordered the next size up. Now, pants fit good but the waist is too big and will need to be taken in. What I don't understand is pocket flare is usually associated with waist being to tight. But the waist is too large on these pants and I get the pocket flare, whereas I didn't have this problem with the more fitted pants in a size down.

 

Tie - good quality, beautiful fabric blend, but unfortunately, will have to go back since I realize 3,1" is way too slim for my bulky frame (6' 240lbs). Will have to set 3,25" or even 3,5" as my bare minimum. But, I could've lived with the tie slim-ness if only I was able to tie a good dimple on it. No matter how hard I tried, couldn't dimple the tie for the life of me. This, plus the slim-ness, breaks the deal for me!

 

Pictures to come, I will ask my tailor's opinion on the trousers if worth altering or not.

 

In the mean time, I'll gladly take your opinion on the matter.

post #6090 of 7527
Any experience with Suit Supply's tuxedo shirt? How does it compare in quality and fit to, say, Tyrwhitt's extra slim offerings? Those are my go-to shirts, but I think I prefer the collar on the SS option. Both are the same price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suitsupply NYC