Recent Images In This Thread
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Are there any brands, clothiers, or retailers, that cater to the short (5'8"/1.70m)... Last post on 9/23/14 at 10:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- [SOLD] NWOT Tom Ford Base B Black Suit EU48R US38R Last post on 7/20/14 at 5:54pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 45 R Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Pinstripe Suit 45R Last post on 3/24/14 at 7:55am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Suitsupply NYC - Page 326
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4877 of 74112/12/14 at 11:41amQuote:Originally Posted by reidrothchild
The shoulders look a bit big to me. As you mentioned, it could also stand to be shorter by an inch or 2. If this is a 34, you may want to consider MTM. The trousers look like they fit well.
If you're planning on shortening the jacket, that will cost you some decent money (I'd guess anywhere from $75-$150, depending on where you get it done). The additional money you'd spend on tailoring might just be close to the difference between SS OTR and SS MTM.
Thanks for the feedback!
There's a few SuitSupply stores here in London that can shorten the jacket by an inch for me for just £17 ($40), two inches would probably throw it off balance, and might expose my rear a bit more than I'd like (Big butt problems ).
As for the shoulders, I'm pretty skinny right now and plan to start working out soon to get more meat on my bones, so I figured some room was necessary.
I've considered MTM, and will probably get all my suits MTM from SuitSupply once I'm earning a decent salary (Right now I'm just an 18 year-old student).
Do you think it's ridiculously long and I shouldn't wear it until shortened, or just would look better if it were shorter?post #4878 of 74112/12/14 at 11:51ampost #4879 of 74112/12/14 at 11:57ampost #4880 of 74112/12/14 at 12:51pmQuote:
Read this thread and report back what you find.
Edited by CousinDonuts - 2/12/14 at 1:03pmpost #4881 of 74112/12/14 at 2:16pm
La Spalla is pretty much the same fit as the Jort. Sienna is close. Not much info on the trousers though. According to the size tables they all have the same leg opening, which I find way too narrow. Also, the Jort trousers I tried on did not seem to have enough fabric that could be let out to get a nice drape.post #4882 of 74112/12/14 at 4:04pmQuote:
The traditional advice for the length of a suit coat is that with your arms straight down your sides you should be able to cup your hands while just grazing the very bottom of the coat. From the photo it looks like you could actually grab the bottom of your coat when you cup your hands, so my advice is to get it shortened first.
If you feel comfortable and you really like it, then to hell with what others think. These days the trend is towards shorter jackets so most people will have unkind words for you, but long coats were in fashion at various points in history.
My personal rule is to get all the alterations perfect before wearing a suit because I want to fully enjoy what I'm wearing and be comfortable in it. I don't feel comfortable if I know the coat doesn't fit me the way that I want it to.
I hope this helps.
Kind Regards,post #4883 of 74112/13/14 at 12:59ampost #4884 of 74112/13/14 at 6:48ampost #4885 of 74112/13/14 at 7:54amQuote:Quote:
I agree that the jacket is a tad bit too long compared to a standard jacket length, perhaps by 1.5/2inches. However, I do prefer my jackets on the longer side, and really don't like the trend of short jackets.
I wore the suit today and it felt pretty amazing, though I still do want to get it shortened by an inch, just because I feel it would improve the overall balance of the outfit.post #4886 of 74112/13/14 at 8:01amI didn't mean to imply that your jacket looked awful or anything and intended no disrespect to Veremund. Jacket length is obviously a preference. I have a long torso, so I prefer my jackets a little shorter in an attempt to elongate my shorter stumpy legs. I like mine to come down maybe half an inch past my crotch in the front and just past my gluteal fold in the back. Your jacket doesn't look bad, per se, but (to my eye), it would look better and more harmonious with the slimness of the trousers if it were a touch shorter.post #4887 of 74112/13/14 at 8:27ampost #4888 of 74112/13/14 at 9:14amTopCat - if you like it then rock it.
To throw in my 2 cents....I am also a slender guy. I am 6' 1" with longer legs, and some older school tailors have said I should take a Long instead of a regular. I generally disagree, but 5 years ago I bought a Long after being pitched by the store's tailor. It was a very nice suit, actually the second most expensive I had ever bought. I haven't worn it in over 2 years. What bugged me was not that the proportions were particularly off - it passed the cover your arse test obviously, as well as the cupped hand test - it was that I would look down my slender core and feel like I was covered in excess cloth. Even though that cloth went down and not out, it still felt like the thing was too big.
I only give you this for something to consider. Based on that picture, my first thought was that it is a little long because it broke the 50/50 proportion. Personally, I would consider buying the next shorter size before I shorten anything on that jacket. That is an alteration that could come with unintended consequences. Better to maybe compare to a different size before you start chopping what you have, should you decide you in fact want it shorter. Good luck.post #4889 of 74112/13/14 at 4:29pmI agree with CD about trying something a little shorter before chopping this suit. I feel like it is a bit too long too, but why. I like an aesthetic reason if possible and I think what I would say is that it seems to elongate your upper body in a way that seems too make you lanky in appearance if that makes sense. Not awful mind you but trying to put a finger on what you seem to feel as well. I think you articulated a good reason to shorten it, namely to emphasize your leg length so as to increase subjective sense of more height.
. Maybe it's because youre skinnier and it feels like it is emphasizing that. Anyway just trying to put a finger on that issue. Do try a shorter length at any store just to get a feel. Or if you have a shorter jacket snap a pic and post it here. But look if you feel good that's something to go by. Enjoy your clothes.post #4890 of 74112/13/14 at 5:15pm
Planning to try out one of the Dark grey Napoli suits for my upcoming graduation, anyone mind telling me if their shirts are worth the price?
(this will be the first "real" suit and dress-shirt I buy, so figure I might aswell buy from the same site if the shirts are worth the price)
I'm a fairly standard sz 46 (a little slim maybe) and 183 cm if that matters
- Suitsupply NYC
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 10 seconds ago
- › Things you just don't get 45 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › What would you wear today? 10 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 11 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...
- › How to Get What You Really Want This Holiday...
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...