Quality and Fit
- Construction-wise, the suits are head and shoulders above others in the price range and the fabrics are high quality with interesting patterns and textures, even on the plainer suits.
- Napoli and Sienna fits were pretty similar with the differences noted (mostly shoulder and slight differences in jacket length).
- @ 5' 11" 160 lbs both of these cuts require no alternation on me with a 36R (a size smaller than I usually wear). I may end up lengthening the sleeves a bit, but with the finished bottoms I was able to wear two suits the day after purchasing.
- I find the number of cuts confusing and it was helpful for me to narrow it down to the two above. SS could do a much better job of comparing the various cuts they offer. Online you need to go one by one to look at the measurements, and I found some that were just totally wrong (e.g. Sienna sleeve length).
- I really like the ties and think they are priced well. Interesting patterns, textures, widths.
- I didn't find the other clothes to my taste, nor did I think the price/quality ratio was the same as the suits. The outerwear coats seemed nice, but again, didn't seem all that special vs. other choices.
- Tip: It is hard to tell patterns/textures on the website. Get to a store to check them out. If that isn't possible, the zoom function is your friend. Some of the pictures are taken so far away that you can't tell the pattern until you zoom. Also, many of the fabrics are available in different colors - once you know what 1 looks/feels like it will help when looking at other options.
- Tip: Spend the time getting familiar with the fit and features of the various cuts and narrow it down to a few.
- Have been to Philly, DC, and NY (Madison) stores
- All were great, albeit different experiences.
- Service was attentive, though style and knowledge varied greatly. The Philly associate (Tory?), was fantastic - good mix of knowledge, friendliness, helpful, etc. The NY associate (Josh) was super nice, but very young and I didn't think his opinion was credible. DC (Joyce) was somewhere in the middle. Overall I would say they were 3 parts helpful and 1 part sales-y
- I didn't have much tailoring done, but the lead times varied greatly between store from same day to a few days. One of the associates was suggesting a ton of alterations, which made me a bit nervous, especially when he said he would do the measurements.
- Tip: Know what you want/need and stick to it or you can be led astray by a cool suit you will never wear.
- Tip: The inventory at the stores varied considerably, from each other and the web site. Also, I would say that 3/4 of the time, when I asked for a suit in my size that wasn't on the rack they were able to find it in the back. So ask!
- Clearly the outlet was an experiment/pilot and there were lots of issues to be worked out.
- I ordered 3 suits. 2 came from EU, 1 came from NJ. Once they made it to NJ, I received them in 2 days.
- There were lots of errors on the site - inaccurate quantities available, items posted but not available to purchase, wrong tracking numbers. In fact, after the outlet closed I was able to go back and order a suit I had looked at and it was delivered in just a few days (yay!). I tried with another, and it was no longer available (boo!)
- Prices were amazing and if you are armed with knowing the sizes/cuts from a store visit, your experience is bound to be better
- Tip: Visit a store and keep track of your sizes/cuts preferences. Will make your online/outlet experience all the better.
Online / Customer Service
- So nice to call and have a person pick up the phone. Twice they called me back to confirm information with me. Amazing.
- Once I called on a Saturday during hours they say they are open and no one ever answered. Even after calling 10 times in a few hours.
- Email took 4 days to respond. Person clearly had English as a second language. While well-intended, wasn't helpful.
- All mailed items were well packed. Hangers and suitbags are of a higher quality than from other stores.
- Tip: If you have an issue call, don't email.