or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suitsupply NYC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suitsupply NYC - Page 113

post #1681 of 7597
Received my Sienna suit today. Fit seems pretty spot on out the box. The jacket is a bit longer than on the Lazio (and a lot longer than Havana), but that´s okay. The fabric is really nice, actually better than I imagined. So once again, I am a happy customer..
post #1682 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mispoke View Post

The ~$500 price point is just right to set their product above the rest. When it comes closer to ~$700-800, it seems the case for Suitsupply Purple Line becomes a lot less compelling…especially when you can simply use the Toronto retail location as a showroom for sizing/fit and then make your purchase through the US online store.

 

I agree. If they can keep their standard-line suits to around $500 CAD, I think they could do reasonably well here (especially in Yorkville, it will seem like a steal). If they creep up a little, though, they will be in direct competition with established brands like Coppley.

 

I've never owned a Coppley or a SS, so I can't comment on their relative quality. But I think it will be harder for SS to stand out if they are just one of many mid-priced, half-canvassed brands in the market.

post #1683 of 7597
Will pay a proxy fee to anyone who can find me a sz 34 Copenhagen in blue 100% linen.

Thought I was going to buy the Havana in blue wool/linen mix yesterday, but then saw the fabric in person: it has a noticeable sheen under artificial light (less noticeable in daylight). For a casual look, I want something that's not shiny.

Had tried on the blue Copenhagen the week before, but it had disappeared by the time I went back. I believe it's an old/discontinued model, since they have Copenhagen linen only in beige/tan listed on the site for SS 13.
post #1684 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenbp11 View Post

Received my Sienna suit today. Fit seems pretty spot on out the box. The jacket is a bit longer than on the Lazio (and a lot longer than Havana), but that´s okay. The fabric is really nice, actually better than I imagined. So once again, I am a happy customer..
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

That looks great! I'm very fond of the shoulders on the Sienna (I have one myself, a light gray sharkskin). I just wish they made a version with straight pockets. 

post #1685 of 7597

Excellent fit steffenbp11!

post #1686 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenbp11 View Post

Received my Sienna suit today. Fit seems pretty spot on out the box. The jacket is a bit longer than on the Lazio (and a lot longer than Havana), but that´s okay. The fabric is really nice, actually better than I imagined. So once again, I am a happy customer..
Quote:
Originally Posted by katabatic View Post

That looks great! I'm very fond of the shoulders on the Sienna (I have one myself, a light gray sharkskin). I just wish they made a version with straight pockets. 

What model is it?
post #1687 of 7597
Thanks for the comments Paisley and Kabatic. Blue, it is this model: http://eu.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-grey-plain-sienna-p3460/P3460,en,pd.html?start=10&cgid=Suits&prefn1=fit&prefv1=London%7cSienna&prefn2=collection&prefv2=Fall%2fWinter%202012

Btw, besides the Sienna being a lovely suit, the hanger you receive with it is really top notch ( better than the ones I received previously), and comes in a Ferarri red colour to match the lining. The underside of the collar is also red. These are of course just details, but nice touches...
post #1688 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howfener View Post

I'm going to London tomorrow with the primary purpose of visiting SuitSupply and buying my first proper suit, and I'm admittedly a little apprehensive. It's easy enough for me to objectively critique the fit of a suit when I've got time to look at a photograph of somebody else wearing it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to take my time trying on different sizes or have enough sense to see what can be fixed with adjustments -- particularly if I've got a salesperson waiting on me. I'm considering visiting a store on Tuesday, trying on a few different suits and sizes, taking photographs and sharing them here, then -- if something looks good -- go back on Wednesday to buy it (w/ any alterations if needed).

Just thinking out loud since this is a big purchase for me; I start my trainee induction at my law firm in a few weeks and want to look the part from Day 1.

Well I decided to go it alone like the brave young man I am and this is what I ended up buying. I think it's fundamentally sound, but -- even after a few minor in-store adjustments -- having worn it a little and examined the photographs it seems that it still needs some other modifications.





(I'm aware that my tie is too narrow to wear with this suit, and shaving is very much on the to do list!)

I visited the SuitSupply shop on Vigo Street in London with the intention of buying a solid navy suit in their Napoli cut. In the end I had to compromise with a navy suit with a very narrow pinstripe as I couldn't mix and match trousers and jacket with any of their solid suits. (I wear a 40R jacket which comes with 34" trousers, but they are just too big for me. Even these 32s aren't perfect.)

In-store adjustments were to shorten the trousers, narrow the jacket waist slightly and square the back of the jacket neck. Looking at these photographs I suspect I'm going to have to get the trouser legs slimmed slightly, and possibly the jacket arms as well. I may also need to get the trouser waist taken in a little, but I'll try wearing a smaller belt first as there's not a great deal of excess in the waist and I don't want it to be too tight whilst sitting down after a full day of eating.

I am a little worried about taking in the trousers and ending up looking top-heavy, so would appreciate any advice. smile.gif

All in all it's infinitely better than the polyester sharkskin monster I wore as an undergraduate, and it's a minor miracle that I found a jacket which doesn't gap at the neck, bulge at the lapels or tug at the waist given my odd physique. I'll probably try out SuitSupply's MTM service when it comes to buying my solid charcoal and navy suits as it's only a little more expensive than this suit + adjustments. Unfortunately I just didn't have the time to do that this time.
post #1689 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenbp11 View Post

Thanks for the comments Paisley and Kabatic. Blue, it is this model: http://eu.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-grey-plain-sienna-p3460/P3460,en,pd.html?start=10&cgid=Suits&prefn1=fit&prefv1=London%7cSienna&prefn2=collection&prefv2=Fall%2fWinter%202012

Btw, besides the Sienna being a lovely suit, the hanger you receive with it is really top notch ( better than the ones I received previously), and comes in a Ferarri red colour to match the lining. The underside of the collar is also red. These are of course just details, but nice touches...

This looks great. Is the Sienna a slimmer fit, or is it more like the Napoli?
post #1690 of 7597
I think it looks really good for OTR. If this suit is being worn in a conservative business atmosphere, I don't see any need to get the sleeves or trouser legs slimmed further. As is, I think it has a youthful look without looking like one of those spandex suits GQ puts all their models in.
post #1691 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mispoke View Post

This looks great. Is the Sienna a slimmer fit, or is it more like the Napoli?

I've never tried on a Napoli but it is about the same as Lazio when it comes to being slim/fitted. I am quite thin bordeing on skinny due to many years of marathoning, so it miight be a bit tight on someone with a larger frame...
post #1692 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post

 

I agree. If they can keep their standard-line suits to around $500 CAD, I think they could do reasonably well here (especially in Yorkville, it will seem like a steal). If they creep up a little, though, they will be in direct competition with established brands like Coppley.

 

I've never owned a Coppley or a SS, so I can't comment on their relative quality. But I think it will be harder for SS to stand out if they are just one of many mid-priced, half-canvassed brands in the market.

I have two Coppley and a few SS.  The fit is better on my body with SS.  I find the construction about equal, with a slight edge to Coppley on the fabrics.  I do not think Coppleys are worth the extra money over SS though, which is around a $200-300 difference

post #1693 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCXYZ View Post

I have two Coppley and a few SS.  The fit is better on my body with SS.  I find the construction about equal, with a slight edge to Coppley on the fabrics.  I do not think Coppleys are worth the extra money over SS though, which is around a $200-300 difference

Is your Coppley MTM and your SS OTR? Or your Coppley OTR and SS MTM? Or are both MTM? Or are both OTR?
post #1694 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howfener View Post

Well I decided to go it alone like the brave young man I am and this is what I ended up buying. I think it's fundamentally sound, but -- even after a few minor in-store adjustments -- having worn it a little and examined the photographs it seems that it still needs some other modifications.





(I'm aware that my tie is too narrow to wear with this suit, and shaving is very much on the to do list!)

I visited the SuitSupply shop on Vigo Street in London with the intention of buying a solid navy suit in their Napoli cut. In the end I had to compromise with a navy suit with a very narrow pinstripe as I couldn't mix and match trousers and jacket with any of their solid suits. (I wear a 40R jacket which comes with 34" trousers, but they are just too big for me. Even these 32s aren't perfect.)

In-store adjustments were to shorten the trousers, narrow the jacket waist slightly and square the back of the jacket neck. Looking at these photographs I suspect I'm going to have to get the trouser legs slimmed slightly, and possibly the jacket arms as well. I may also need to get the trouser waist taken in a little, but I'll try wearing a smaller belt first as there's not a great deal of excess in the waist and I don't want it to be too tight whilst sitting down after a full day of eating.

I am a little worried about taking in the trousers and ending up looking top-heavy, so would appreciate any advice. smile.gif

All in all it's infinitely better than the polyester sharkskin monster I wore as an undergraduate, and it's a minor miracle that I found a jacket which doesn't gap at the neck, bulge at the lapels or tug at the waist given my odd physique. I'll probably try out SuitSupply's MTM service when it comes to buying my solid charcoal and navy suits as it's only a little more expensive than this suit + adjustments. Unfortunately I just didn't have the time to do that this time.

Which cut/color is that?
post #1695 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by katabatic View Post

That looks great! I'm very fond of the shoulders on the Sienna (I have one myself, a light gray sharkskin). I just wish they made a version with straight pockets. 

what do you mean? it looks like his has straight pockets.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suitsupply NYC