or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suitsupply NYC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suitsupply NYC - Page 895

post #13411 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmai View Post

Your shoulders look pretty close to correct. Setting expectations, it is almost impossible to get a perfect fit OTR, but that doesn't mean you can get something that is fits very well. the slight divot in the shoulder usually comes from the sloping of your shoulder being more drastic than the cut of the suit shoulders. Its not an issues but it looks rather nice so far.

I wouldn't pay a tailor to fix it for a couple of reasons: 1. Cutting from the shoulder is very risky. Not many tailors can do it well and it would really change the integrity of the suit itself. 2. Unless you really trust this tailor, again most people might end up butchering it. 

If you ever want to get rid of the divot, opt for a softer shoulder (one with less padding) and it will almost always get rid of the divot because it allows for more wiggle room in shoulder sloping. 

It's hard to say if it is too tight without seeing it in person. It shows very slight signs of tugging on the suit but not bad by any means, it looks like it should a good hourglass shape on the sides (front and back), I would argue against it from this picture alone. Just remember that if you want a see if it is tailor along the body, have a friend pinch the side seams on the body and if there is around 0.5 inch of fabric on the pinch all the way down, then it is tailored and you should not take in anymore. 

Looks like a good fit.

Cheers!

The shoulder divot is the only thing bothering me right now. If i wanted to try and get rid of the divot, is it easier to narrow the shoulders or softening the shoulder pads?
post #13412 of 13742

 Narrowing the shoulders and softening the shoulders is pretty much a very difficult alteration. Almost impossible to do retroactively. I would honestly say it is very much so impossible.

 

You are better off just wearing the suit for now, because it does look good and the shoulders are very close. No one will really notice but yourself. I would say that next time, just remember to look at the shoulders and perhaps opt for a different style on the shoulder. 

post #13413 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmai View Post

 Narrowing the shoulders and softening the shoulders is pretty much a very difficult alteration. Almost impossible to do retroactively. I would honestly say it is very much so impossible.

You are better off just wearing the suit for now, because it does look good and the shoulders are very close. No one will really notice but yourself. I would say that next time, just remember to look at the shoulders and perhaps opt for a different style on the shoulder. 

you're right. I am overthinking it. thanks for the advice!
post #13414 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

How are the trousers on the Washington? High rise or mid rise? Heavily tapered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

Do any Suit Supply models have a high rise?  (Serious question.)

Cheers,

Ac

Would you guys please post a couple of pics of what is, for you, a "high rise" trousers?
post #13415 of 13742
Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Originally Posted by mbaltazar View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

How are the trousers on the Washington? High rise or mid rise? Heavily tapered?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

Do any Suit Supply models have a high rise?  (Serious question.)

Cheers,

Ac
 

Would you guys please post a couple of pics of what is, for you, a "high rise" trousers?

 

Most define it as at or near the natural waist.

 

Here's a beautiful example from one of our most deservedly respected posters, @EFV

 

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #13416 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by b14k View Post


you're right. I am overthinking it. thanks for the advice!

I have a similar problem with a Washington half I bought. The divots really bothered me too, so I took it to my tailor. She said it is possible to reshape the shoulder padding with a super-heated iron. This could potentially solve the issue without the need for any invasive surgery.

 

I'll let you know how it turns out on Friday. 

post #13417 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

Most define it as at or near the natural waist.

Here's a beautiful example from one of our most deservedly respected posters, @EFV





Cheers,

Ac

Well, I don't recall seeing something similar in Suitsupply's line up.

Honestly, and to me, it's kind of arguable the looks of a "high rise" trousers like the ones you posted. But if it works for you... cool
post #13418 of 13742
The standard Washington has a relatively high rise.
post #13419 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiva View Post

The standard Washington has a relatively high rise.

 

Co-sign.

post #13420 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by b14k View Post

The shoulder divot is the only thing bothering me right now. If i wanted to try and get rid of the divot, is it easier to narrow the shoulders or softening the shoulder pads?

Neither. Your tailor needs to extend or reshape the armhole. Not an easy task if possible at all.
Contrary to intuition narrowing shoulders will make it worse.
post #13421 of 13742

Looking for a bit of advice. Live in Phoenix, and trying to find what would be a year round jacket in other climates. One I could layer up and wear in the couple of cold months in town, but isn't so hot that I can't wear it at all outside of those months. I was heavily advised against the brown jacket I was originally looking at a few pages back, so I'm back to the drawing board.

 

One of these popped back up in my size:

 

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/hudson-light-brown-herringbone/C960I.html?cgid=Jackets&prefn1=color&prefv1=Brown

 

Do you guys think this works? Or is it going to be too wrinkly and summer specific? I wanted to stay away from linen, want something with better structure, but hoping that this wool silk linen blend might be the right call.

 

If not this, then I'm thinking of going made to measure. Specifically looking at a brown. Any recommendation on a made to measure fabric that is not too heavy?

post #13422 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwing View Post
 

Looking for a bit of advice. Live in Phoenix, and trying to find what would be a year round jacket in other climates. One I could layer up and wear in the couple of cold months in town, but isn't so hot that I can't wear it at all outside of those months. I was heavily advised against the brown jacket I was originally looking at a few pages back, so I'm back to the drawing board.

 

One of these popped back up in my size:

 

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/hudson-light-brown-herringbone/C960I.html?cgid=Jackets&prefn1=color&prefv1=Brown

 

Do you guys think this works? Or is it going to be too wrinkly and summer specific? I wanted to stay away from linen, want something with better structure, but hoping that this wool silk linen blend might be the right call.

 

If not this, then I'm thinking of going made to measure. Specifically looking at a brown. Any recommendation on a made to measure fabric that is not too heavy?

 

i find their wool/linen/silk blend to be the best "year round" material around

post #13423 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScofieldReturns View Post

i find their wool/linen/silk blend to be the best "year round" material around

I tend to agree. Also, E.Thomas is my favorite mill
post #13424 of 13742
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwing View Post
 

Looking for a bit of advice. Live in Phoenix, and trying to find what would be a year round jacket in other climates. One I could layer up and wear in the couple of cold months in town, but isn't so hot that I can't wear it at all outside of those months. I was heavily advised against the brown jacket I was originally looking at a few pages back, so I'm back to the drawing board.

 

One of these popped back up in my size:

 

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/hudson-light-brown-herringbone/C960I.html?cgid=Jackets&prefn1=color&prefv1=Brown

 

Do you guys think this works? Or is it going to be too wrinkly and summer specific? I wanted to stay away from linen, want something with better structure, but hoping that this wool silk linen blend might be the right call.

 

If not this, then I'm thinking of going made to measure. Specifically looking at a brown. Any recommendation on a made to measure fabric that is not too heavy?

 

The silk mitigates the wrinkling.

 

You need to look at the weave, not only the fibers and the overall weight of the fabric. I have the wool/linen/silk Jort suit in (very) light brown (more off-white). The weave is extremely loose and air passes through it easily. That herringbone weave looks much tighter and would not have the same coolness factor. 

 

post #13425 of 13742
Is it me, or is the Suitsupply website glitching today?

None of the Traveller shirts impress me. Maybe I'm just bored. I seem to recall they had a great shirt selection about 1.5-2 seasons ago. Since then, the only ones that impressed me were the linen ones.

I have to say, if I were to buy any more SS shirts I would go straight for the Red line ones. The Jort ones are great as well (as they are part of the Red line).
Edited by pomor - 9/28/16 at 4:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suitsupply NYC