• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazz Up My Style! - PICS Included - HairStyle and Ear Rings

scopedin

Reaction score
Deleted: no constructive advice.

Oh well
boxing[1].gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum Scope. I hope everyone will be nice and respectfully answer your questions.
They'll be along shortly..

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scopedin
205603_10150143726652823_504457822_6648951_989195_n.jpg

that is quite the congregation. where the hell did you find these people? edit - the belt worn by the guy on the right is jarring, like a tooth extraction. this "sprezzatura" bullshit has gone too far

JDMills

Reaction score
There's nothing classic about earrings, as a 20 year old you can pull them off till your about 25 then they have to go. Stick to simple colours and make sure your stuff fits, it doran matter if it's cheap ad long as it fits. Secondly upgrade from the white kicks get some loafers or a suede shoe (a brown Chelsea boot would be good).

On the hair you could do the classic short on the sides combable top any barber can do it. I find crew cuts much too military. Maybe a faux hawk? A little douchey but it works sometimes, just got to be comfortable in what you do.

LJubel328

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
that is quite the congregation. where the hell did you find these people? edit - the belt worn by the guy on the right is jarring, like a tooth extraction. this "sprezzatura" bullshit has gone too far
I believe "the guy on the right" is him

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you're wanting to wear a jacket and tie, I highly recommend you post this instead in Streetwear and Denim instead. Fresh Nikes aren't words that are ever spoken on this subforum by anybody but spammers.

Octoberfile

Reaction score
The heavier build and crewcut make you look more like a mid-western fratboy....too middle american. You looked better when you were skinnier and had medium length hair. Most guys on this forum are trying to lose weight and look younger. No point in trying to make yourself look older now......that will happen naturally, and very quickly. Go looking for a nice but not-too expensive wool suit, a conservative pair of oxfords or wing tips, and a good tailor.....go give brookbrothers a try, they have suits and some great casual wear for guys your age who need to shake off the high school look.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely go with the shorter hair. You have a good enough build to look good in most things you put on. The longest you should ever have your hair is that length that you posted.

I think a common mistake that people around our age is when it comes to dress shirts, they try to stand out by wearing an obnoxious bright pink or teal shirt or try the whole blacked out look with a bright tie.

An excellent fitting shirt in simple whites and blues go way longer than obnoxious shirts.

Anyway just nitpicking on the pictures you've posted...

Your shorts are fine. They could be better. Wear shorts that are a little shorter and stay away from cargo shorts because more times than not, they look horrible.

With the shirts, both of the shirts you are wearing are pretty hideous. Wear simple whites and blues that fit well and when you lurk around a little more and have a better idea on good patterns on shirts you can buy louder shirts.

Stay away from the black suits, and black pants for that matter.

Stay away from the big obnoxious branding on your belt and I don't know why people like white belts but they usually look stupid, and in this instance, they look pretty bad.

Tie knots... Most of the time you want to wear a 4 in hand.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not very good for hair advice, it should be your hair dresser to give you adequate advice

For styling, just keep lurking in the forum, you will learn a lot of useful information.

P.s Please do not wear the white belt for suit, it is extremely horrible.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP: stay away from the "dark shirt, light tie" combo. Seems like everyone that wants to "dress up" but has no idea what they're doing does this, it really does not look good and screams "waiter." Also, dress shirt and tie with no jacket looks bad for similar reasons. Dark shirts in general are dicey, best to start with a more classic palate of white, lighter blues, pinks (if you can rock it) and some basic patterns. Get some oxford cloth buttondowns (OCBD), flexible for casual and semi-dressy occasions.

Your dress shirts all look too big. Get something that fits in the neck. You'll get used to the feeling and won't look like a slob.

SW&D section here will give you a little more...adventurous approach on casual looks. Developing a real world casual style, if you lean towards the MC take, requires some work and some knowledge about how to blur things between formal and casual.

Pierced ears aren't going to get much support here. If you really want to...go for it I guess.

Originally Posted by Octoberfile
The heavier build and crewcut make you look more like a mid-western fratboy....too middle american. You looked better when you were skinnier and had medium length hair..

He's still tiny, far from "bulked" up.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sir are a brave man to post this.

scopedin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Welcome to Styleforum Scope. I hope everyone will be nice and respectfully answer your questions.
They'll be along shortly..

Thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted by oman
that is quite the congregation. where the hell did you find these people?

edit - the belt worn by the guy on the right is jarring, like a tooth extraction. this "sprezzatura" bullshit has gone too far

Friends, that wasn't the best pic. I'll be honest. That belt also is not worn any longer. It's too big for my waste line and was falling apart. Thanks for the advice though.

Originally Posted by JDMills
There's nothing classic about earrings, as a 20 year old you can pull them off till your about 25 then they have to go. Stick to simple colours and make sure your stuff fits, it doran matter if it's cheap ad long as it fits. Secondly upgrade from the white kicks get some loafers or a suede shoe (a brown Chelsea boot would be good).

On the hair you could do the classic short on the sides combable top any barber can do it. I find crew cuts much too military. Maybe a faux hawk? A little douchey but it works sometimes, just got to be comfortable in what you do.

I've thought about the faux hawk but I feel like it has a big douche vibe to it.

Originally Posted by LJubel328
I believe "the guy on the right" is him

foo.gif

Originally Posted by pvrhye
Unless you're wanting to wear a jacket and tie, I highly recommend you post this instead in Streetwear and Denim instead. Fresh Nikes aren't words that are ever spoken on this subforum by anybody but spammers.

Can I get it moved? It was my first post so I wasn't exactly sure where to post it. Thanks for the advice!!

Originally Posted by Octoberfile
The heavier build and crewcut make you look more like a mid-western fratboy....too middle american. You looked better when you were skinnier and had medium length hair. Most guys on this forum are trying to lose weight and look younger. No point in trying to make yourself look older now......that will happen naturally, and very quickly. Go looking for a nice but not-too expensive wool suit, a conservative pair of oxfords or wing tips, and a good tailor.....go give brookbrothers a try, they have suits and some great casual wear for guys your age who need to shake off the high school look.

I'm not a heavy build at all right now. I'll definitely be upgrading my suit soon.

Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Definitely go with the shorter hair. You have a good enough build to look good in most things you put on. The longest you should ever have your hair is that length that you posted.

I think a common mistake that people around our age is when it comes to dress shirts, they try to stand out by wearing an obnoxious bright pink or teal shirt or try the whole blacked out look with a bright tie.

An excellent fitting shirt in simple whites and blues go way longer than obnoxious shirts.

Anyway just nitpicking on the pictures you've posted...

Your shorts are fine. They could be better. Wear shorts that are a little shorter and stay away from cargo shorts because more times than not, they look horrible.

With the shirts, both of the shirts you are wearing are pretty hideous. Wear simple whites and blues that fit well and when you lurk around a little more and have a better idea on good patterns on shirts you can buy louder shirts.

Stay away from the black suits, and black pants for that matter.

Stay away from the big obnoxious branding on your belt and I don't know why people like white belts but they usually look stupid, and in this instance, they look pretty bad.

Tie knots... Most of the time you want to wear a 4 in hand.

Thanks for the great advice!! This is what I was looking for
redface.gif

I absolutely hate that brown shirt.. I only threw up that picture for the different hair style. I do like the other "tealish" one though. I thought it worked well for my complexion but maybe not.

That belt = in the trash now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by add911_11
I am not very good for hair advice, it should be your hair dresser to give you adequate advice

For styling, just keep lurking in the forum, you will learn a lot of useful information.

P.s Please do not wear the white belt for suit, it is extremely horrible.

teacha.gif

Originally Posted by Gibonius
OP: stay away from the "dark shirt, light tie" combo. Seems like everyone that wants to "dress up" but has no idea what they're doing does this, it really does not look good and screams "waiter." Also, dress shirt and tie with no jacket looks bad for similar reasons. Dark shirts in general are dicey, best to start with a more classic palate of white, lighter blues, pinks (if you can rock it) and some basic patterns. Get some oxford cloth buttondowns (OCBD), flexible for casual and semi-dressy occasions.

Your dress shirts all look too big. Get something that fits in the neck. You'll get used to the feeling and won't look like a slob.

SW&D section here will give you a little more...adventurous approach on casual looks. Developing a real world casual style, if you lean towards the MC take, requires some work and some knowledge about how to blur things between formal and casual.

Pierced ears aren't going to get much support here. If you really want to...go for it I guess.

He's still tiny, far from "bulked" up.

Thanks for the advice! I do hate that brown shirt but I find that the teal one fits quite nicely. I took it to a tailor and she said that she couldn't make any alterations for the fit?? She's a well known/respected tailor too.

I'll check out the SW&D section for sure!! What does MC stand for?

Originally Posted by Patek
You sir are a brave man to post this.

fight[1].gif

I'm here to learn.. Critique all you want!

scopedin

Reaction score
Also please don't critique my clothes too much here.

Several of these pics are from 1+ years ago and I was mainly trying to find shots of the different hair styles. That's what this thread was intended for. I definitely do need to upgrade the wardrobe though!

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is and isn't delivering.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
This thread is and isn't delivering.

True, but there is some good stuff for the "Creepy Satorial Images" thread.

OP, male-on-male contact in pictures is frowned upon on SF. What you do on your own time is up to you. Also, burn all of your wifebeathers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads