or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What's your favorite 'cheap' beer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's your favorite 'cheap' beer? - Page 4

post #46 of 216
Loewenbrau. Not the kind that my brothers drank in the 70s, but the kind we get now.
post #47 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Whatever's on special. Usually that means Bud Light.

There's definitely something to be said about sitting around with a couple of friends, ordering a bunch of $5 pitchers of whatever's cheap, having a good time, getting rowdy, and making fun of the people sipping $10/glass beers for the purpose of enjoying the subtle, yet intricate flavor of a fine beer.
post #48 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Loewenbrau. Not the kind that my brothers drank in the 70s, but the kind we get now.
I agree, to me Lowenbrau tastes almost exactly like Bitburger, which I like, for about 1/3-1/2 off.
post #49 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl
I won't argue the beers you listed... but Sam Adams makes a fine beer. I'd even say it's the best mass produced beer in the country.

Absolutely, I have tasted some very good American beers. I think I have only had Samuel Adams once or twice - is it quite dark and hoppy? I seem to remember it was full flacoured but quite clean tasting, something I feel that English bitters fail on, they mostly taste of puddle-mud to me. Do Sam Adams do one called 'Boston Steamer' or something? (maybe I just picked that up from the euphamism thread...)

I've tried a Nevada beer a couple of times that I forget the name of. It comes in a squat bottle with a green lable, and is bottle conditioned - it's lovely. ah, found it - http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html

As I said, Britiain has no decent massed produced lagers, and I dislike our bitters and ales. CAMRA is a decent organisation, but from what I can tell the virtues of micro-breweries are far more recognised in the 'States than over here.
post #50 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini
You forgot to mention that Bohemia is one of the world's best beers, even if it's brewed by Tecate.

Never heard of it, I'll keep an eye out.
post #51 of 216
Poland has some of the best beers I have ever tasted. I am trying to get my hands on some African beer. The best beer store by me has 625 different beers but nothing from Africa.
post #52 of 216
Quote:
South and Central American lagers are very watery, Sol, Corona, Dos Equis, Brahma (Brazil) and Cusquena (Peru) are all readily available, but only really drunk by people who still think having lime in your beer is a good thing.
having a lime in your beer is a good thing when it is 90 degrees outside and you're sweating bullets. this is when beers like corona and pacifico really shine.

while we're on the subject, can someone tell me how to pronounce "chimay"?
post #53 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
having a lime in your beer is a good thing when it is 90 degrees outside and you're sweating bullets. this is when beers like corona and pacifico really shine.

while we're on the subject, can someone tell me how to pronounce "chimay"?
http://belgianstyle.com/mmguide/pron...ian/chimay.wav
post #54 of 216
I think I get a 6 pack of Hoegaarden for less than $10. Not much of a beer drinker though.
post #55 of 216
Bloody beer snobs. Turn a discussion about cheap swill into their snooty, imported high-brow, boutique beers. I bet you hold your beer stein with your pinky finger and use a doily for a coaster, don't you, Nancy?

Anyway, some really good beers listed here. Personally, I love hefeweiszens. Schneider Weisse, Hacker-Pschorr are easy to find, and quite tasty. Bocks are great too. I love Schneider Aventinus - super dark, a little sweet with a clovey/cinnamon taste, and really strong - great for Thanksgiving/fall harvest time.

Almost everything from Belgium rocks hard. I've had a few that did not live up to expectations (Delerium Tremens comes to mind). Trappist beers are expensive, and overrated - but I'll usually order one if I'm in a bar that serves it since I rarely get the chance to drink them. Hoegaarden is a classic, and great in the summer. Stella is the Budweiser of Belgium - too bland, too carbonated, and tastes like corn. English Ales and Bitters are great for fall, or winter - dark, warm and flavourful. Ditto goes for any good stout.

There is so much good stuff being brewed in the US, it makes me cry that I've never tasted any of it. Quebec is a must visit for beer lovers. The microbrewers there are some of the most adventurous in North America - Unibroue is the most well known, and probably easiest to find.

I rarely drink pils, but if I do, the Czechs know their shit. Czechvar or Budvar or whatever it's called, +1. Pilsner Urquell doesn't hold a candle to it. Kozel is good too.

Around Christmas time, the booze stores here get in unique beer gift packs. Last year I bought the Traditional Scottish Ales giftpack. If you're ever interested in beer brewed with heather, moss or pine needles, keep an eye out for it. Makes a good gift for any Scot.
post #56 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalid
From Australasia there is the cheap UK brewed stuff, XXXX and Fosters are on a par with Carling and Carlsberg (not really a good thing), but VB and Carlton are both decent lagers.

No love for Coopers? My old man drinks only XXXX. It serves it's purpose of quenching thirst on a hot day, but in general, I think it's piss. Nobody there drinks Fosters either
post #57 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
I think I get a 6 pack of Hoegaarden for less than $10. Not much of a beer drinker though.
I don't think I'd call $10 for a 6 pack cheap. I probably would call that expensive before calling it average. J, what are you paying for Lowenbrau? I RARELY found Lowenbrau in LA and it sure wasn't "cheap." There's a small liquor store on Melrose near where I worked that sold a 6 pack for $7. That's about the same price for Bittburger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
Poland has some of the best beers I have ever tasted. I am trying to get my hands on some African beer. The best beer store by me has 625 different beers but nothing from Africa.
I'm trying to think of any Polish beer I've had and nothing comes to mind. Any particular brands? African beer is rather rare at least in my experience in LA. Luckily a metropolis like LA has a Little Ethiopia where I often took advantage of a exotic beer with a great lunch. A few brands that come to mind are Kilimanjaro, Windhoek, and Tusker. Oddly enough, South Africa's own Castle Lager is easily found in bulk here in Costa Rica.
post #58 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalid
Absolutely, I have tasted some very good American beers. I think I have only had Samuel Adams once or twice - is it quite dark and hoppy? I seem to remember it was full flacoured but quite clean tasting, something I feel that English bitters fail on, they mostly taste of puddle-mud to me. Do Sam Adams do one called 'Boston Steamer' or something? (maybe I just picked that up from the euphamism thread...)

I've tried a Nevada beer a couple of times that I forget the name of. It comes in a squat bottle with a green lable, and is bottle conditioned - it's lovely. ah, found it - http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html

As I said, Britiain has no decent massed produced lagers, and I dislike our bitters and ales. CAMRA is a decent organisation, but from what I can tell the virtues of micro-breweries are far more recognised in the 'States than over here.
FWIW, I'm pretty sure Sierra Nevada is a California beer.
post #59 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
I think I get a 6 pack of Hoegaarden for less than $10. Not much of a beer drinker though.
I love Hoegarden, but it's not "cheap beer" by any stretch of the imagination.
post #60 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm trying to think of any Polish beer I've had and nothing comes to mind. Any particular brands?

Zywiec and Okocim isn't bad. Avoid Warka at all costs. It was the first beer in a while where I poored half the bottle down the drain. It was almost as bad as this Ukrainian beer I had that tasted like a multivitamin mixed with sugar and beer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What's your favorite 'cheap' beer?