• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches: Gadgets or Jewelry

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really thankful that I don't have a watch habit, because frankly I couldn't afford one. The thing is, they don't interest me in the least. I view watches primarily as gadgets, and the fact that the finest Swiss-made timepieces don't execute their primary function as well as a $10 Chinatown special leaves me with no inclination to spend my hard earned-money on them.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little bit of both. They're ornamental fun toys whose functionality is incidental.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither. They're small feats of engineering and craftmanship that also happen to have functional and aesthetic qualities. Just like any luxury item, the functionality alone cannot justify its price, but the value derived from it goes beyond the time-keeping capabilities.

It's perfectly okay not to have any interest in them, just like it's perfectly okay for people to never try to pursue higher quality clothing above and beyond what you'd find at the mall. People have different interests and one cannot be interested in everything.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Neither. They're small feats of engineering and craftmanship that also happen to have functional and aesthetic qualities. Just like any luxury item, the functionality alone cannot justify its price, but the value derived from it goes beyond the time-keeping capabilities.

Interesting. So you liken the high-end watch to the luxury/sport car. Makes sense. I'm not into cars at all, so I'm unfamiliar with their culture. Would you say that car/watch enthusiasts place as much of a premium on status as performance?

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Jewelry:
Jaeger-LeCoultre.jpg

Gadget:
lg-gd9101.jpg

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
g-shock = gadget

patek phillipe = jewelry

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Interesting. So you liken the high-end watch to the luxury/sport car. Makes sense. I'm not into cars at all, so I'm unfamiliar with their culture. Would you say that car/watch enthusiasts place as much of a premium on status as performance?
Some are all about status, others are all about performance, other are obsessive-compulisve collectors/hoarders, others are all about the history of the pieces... Different types of WIS out there. But, yes, for some watch collectors, status is important.

For me, personally, I'm not too interested in measuring performance too closely. I collect watches that I find aesthetically pleasing first, with a secondary interest in the movement encased in it. I'm interested in the design, the finishing, the details of the case, dial, hands, etc... I'm also fascinated by how watches work and how a bunch of wheels powered by a simple spring can keep time as accurately as they do, in a world where everything is electronic and digital. It's really fantastic to get into the details of it and follow the flow of the energy from the mainspring to the hands.

bimmy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
g-shock = gadget

patek phillipe = jewelry

I would argue that a lot of the pateks (their complications) are gadgets...calatravas are jewelry

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

It's perfectly okay not to have any interest in them, just like it's perfectly okay for people to never try to pursue higher quality clothing above and beyond what you'd find at the mall. People have different interests and one cannot be interested in everything.

neither, i agree 100%. i think watches are amazing. and i personally believe a 1 million price tag on certain watches is justified. they are marvels. a combination af high art, mechanical wizzardry and functionality with differing models exhibiting some combination of that mix.

im not saying everyone needs to be into it, but dont knock it just because its not your cup of tea.

Originally Posted by blazingazn
g-shock = gadget

patek phillipe = jewelry

sorry but thats just plain wrong. on the patek part anyway

Originally Posted by Daseinflaw
Jewelry:
Jaeger-LeCoultre.jpg

that is not a jewelry watch by any means, it is a simple, elegant and beautiful 3 handed time keeping machine

this is a perfectly good watch turned into jewelry

Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-Day-Date-18kt-Yellow-Gold-Diamond-Mens-Watch-118348CBR.jpg

bimmy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches

this is a perfectly good watch turned into jewelry

Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-Day-Date-18kt-Yellow-Gold-Diamond-Mens-Watch-118348CBR.jpg

so then a watch needs to be bedazzled to be considered jewelry? what about simple, non-ornate rings, or bracelets? is a gold chain necklace not jewelry because it's not gaudy?

i would say any day/dates are jewelry, there are a couple rolexes that fall into gadgets.

a watch is almost completely unnecessary in today's world...they are fashion statements/accessories

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bimmy
so then a watch needs to be bedazzled to be considered jewelry? what about simple, non-ornate rings, or bracelets? is a gold chain necklace not jewelry because it's not gaudy?

i would say any day/dates are jewelry, there are a couple rolexes that fall into gadgets.

a watch is almost completely unnecessary in today's world...they are fashion statements/accessories

im sorry that you are marsupialed. i really am. i was making a little joak.

now to get serious. a day/date is not jewelry. period. its function, and on a mechanical watch a small complication. (larger complication with annual and perpetual calendars)

the fact that your cell phone does the same does not render a watch to jewelry or certainly unneccesary.

you dont get it/arent into watches. fine. but dont be dumb about it when you clearly arent well versed in the subject.

while im at it. complicated pateks arent simply "gadgets" to say so is to downplay what goes into making such a watch. and as far as the calatrava a watch isnt jewelry just because its elegant or pretty.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
now to get serious. a day/date is not jewelry. period. its function, and on a mechanical watch a small complication. (larger complication with annual and perpetual calendars)

The mechanical watch is pure utensil is anachronistic. The most basic quartz is light years better at basic timekeeping than any mechanical. That's not to devalue real watches, but to say that they're purely tools is a bit disengenuous.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lets just say most people don't wear watches because they want to know what time it is (myself included.)

other wear watches for utility, such as pilots, divers, hikers/mountaineers.

it's what you make it to be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads