Originally Posted by Mark Lee Jin Yi
Sure, I just came back from Naples last night. The final suits are not ready but I do have a couple of pictures from the fittings.
I have decided not to write my experience here in the Solito thread for a few reasons (out of respect to the thread starter and to Solito himself, so as not to contaminate and derail the thread etc). Hence, I will create a new thread for Pino's work and will post the link here - but give me some time to write it! Lots of school work to catch up on after spending so much time in Naples.
As a primer, a few quick observations: Pino Peluso
1. Perhaps the most conscientious neapolitan tailor I worked with - really took his time with me.
2. Most responsive to emails/facebook messages (we chat on facebook message and even when i first emailed him, he once replied my email thrice a day which would be a record for neapolitan tailors:p)
3. In terms of finishing, I would say it is slightly better than Solito's. I think this stems from the fact that his Sartoria is a little smaller. I will show some pictures and you guys can judge for yourselves!
4. Understanding English - about the same level of understanding as Luigi Solito.
5. 2 fittings done in Naples - he said he wanted to feel satisfied with his own work and he wouldn't be happy with just one fitting. So we did the measurement, first fitting and second fitting all in 3 consecutive days (Caveat: I messaged him and emailed him in advance and he could organise his schedule accordingly). Panico
1. Spent less time with me during the measurement and fitting than Pino, but perhaps thats because he has quite a few years more experience (Pino is also a Master Tailor but he is in his 40s, Panico is a lot older).
2. Very responsive as well - Paola generally replied to my emails in English the next day.
3. Finishing slightly better than Solito's. In particular, his pick-stitching is very discreet because thats what he likes. I had to ask many many many times before he agreed to double stitch my double breasted jacket but he said he will do it in a very "soft" manner.
4. Language here was a big problem especially during the selection of fabrics - but that turned out really well! Over the days I started to understand basic italian abit more so it was ok during the fitting as well.
5. 1 fitting done in Naples - but the state of the jacket was more advanced than the usual first fitting. He also seemed very proud that he could get that result with just the first measurement. He looked at me, smiled and said in his raspy voice "Primo misura"
Overall, I want to point out that both were true gentlemen.
For example, Pino was willing to work hard over the few days and suit my travelling schedule to Capri and Pompeii etc. This meant an early morning fitting on Friday and an evening fitting on Saturday! He was even willing to do the fitting on Sunday morning if I couldn't come back to Pompeii on time. At the Sartoria, he was very careful with his words when I asked his opinion on the Solito suit and Matuozzo shirt I was wearing. Because of his ability to speak English, we managed to develop a cordial relationship and we chatted about all sorts of other things (including the military, because we had both been through it).
Panico was a true gentleman as well. He also accommodated my travel schedule and he actually waited for me in his Sartoria at 6pm on a Saturday (he usually closes at 1pm on Sats) because I wanted to pay half of the remaining 1000 euros I owed him in cash - so as not to suffer on the transfer back in UK. He was very patient in the fittings and choosing of fabric and did not appear impatient at all with this new young inexperienced client of his. When he did not agree to my requests because it was not typical neapolitan style, he would also slowly explain to me in italian the reason why it was not a good idea rather than simply dismissing it.
Such a pleasure to be in the company of these two gentlemen amidst the chaotic city:D