• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable Non-Sneaker Walking Shoes

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I will be taking a 15 day cruise through the Mediterranean in a couple of weeks and I am wondering if anyone has some good suggestions for fashionable, good quality and, most importantly, comfortable walking shoes that aren't tennis shoes/sneakers.

I own a few pairs of loafers that I thought would do the trick but to be honest none of them are exceptionally comfortable. I've also, in a move to become more SF-approved, recently disposed of all but one pair of my college "beater" boat shoes (these otherwise probably would have been my go-to).

I'm trying to stay below $200 as I have already killed my bank account by purchasing more formal items for my trip. So gents, IYO what are the most comfortable mid-ranged shoes out there?

juvefan

Reaction score
i just got back from a european cruise. did the walking on the dessert boots.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juvefan
i just got back from a european cruise. did the walking on the dessert boots.

Sounds tasty.
devil.gif
OP, are Supergas too tennis shoe like for you? They're on sale at Overstock.com

NittanyLion25

Reaction score
Cole Haan Venetian, but they took me forever to break in. Johnston and Murphy makes a nice comfortable moc or two as well as a venetian penny that is very comfortable...the latter has a combo rubber/leather sole so it wears very nicely. Goes for about 165 if I remember correctly and although JM doesn't refurbish this type, my cobbler has done it for me with no problems whatsoever.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Sounds tasty.
devil.gif
OP, are Supergas too tennis shoe like for you? They're on sale at Overstock.com

I honestly never wear tennis shoes/sneakers unless I am exercising. Not really sure why but I tend to wear drivers as my most casual shoes. However, given the deal on Overstock, I might have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

So it's looking like consensus is desert boots. I had thought about getting a pair of Clark's just as beaters. Perhaps it's time to pull the trigger?

Any other good desert boots anyone can recommend?

OldGeezer

Reaction score
Whatever you get, try to break them in prior to the cruise.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Maybe call AE's Shoebank and see what kind of factory seconds and closeouts they have. They're running a sale right now. A pair of factory second Wilburts, for example, will cost twice as much as a pair of new Clarks but will be more than twice the shoe. And they'll last for years.

I own and love my Clarks DBs, but they're not comfortable for lots of walking and are sort of disposable.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DC Office Hack
Maybe call AE's Shoebank and see what kind of factory seconds and closeouts they have. They're running a sale right now. A pair of factory second Wilburts, for example, will cost twice as much as a pair of new Clarks but will be more than twice the shoe. And they'll last for years.

I own and love my Clarks DBs, but they're not comfortable for lots of walking and are sort of disposable.

Amazingly there are no AE company stores or outlets in Georgia (not sure how ATL doesn't have at least one). I'd imagine that their "tent sale" isn't extended to department stores but perhaps I'll take a peek in Nordstrom's once their sale starts up on Friday.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I have walked 3-4 mi/day for 10 years. I stay well under $200 because at this pace, you wear out walking shoes, it's just a lot of wear and tear. I could spew all day about epic fails (shoes that killed my feet or wore out too fast) but I'll give 3 bullet points:

• Get something waterproof. My current pairs in use that fit the bill are some rubber soled Rockport Chukkas and suede sperry top-siders. If you walk a lot, make sure the shoes are designed for walking. They look better longer and in my experience typically are built a bit more thoughtfully in general (more arch support, etc)
  • If you haven't broken in the shoes, stash some Dr Scholl's gel arch+heel supports (not just the heel piece -- the whole-sole model isn't as good, either, at least for me) in your suitcase because sometimes a new pair of walkers causes heel pain or shin splints and these things are magic in those cases
  • Anything you get, if VIbram's involved in the sole, that stuff lasts way longer than anything else. I know you're probably not thinking sandals, but the tops on the vibram soled sandals I get for walking wear out before the soles. That is the only type of shoe I have owned on which I cannot kill the sole.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I was browsing and saw that BB is having a one say 30% off shoe sale. Does anyone have any insight into the Peal & Co. Desert Boots? They are only $250 retail so I assume they aren't going to revolutionize the shoe game, but the reviews sound promising.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...t_color=Brown#

tgt465

Reaction score
Comfortable under $200 non-sneakers makes me think of Rockport shoes.

david123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Amazingly there are no AE company stores or outlets in Georgia (not sure how ATL doesn't have at least one). I'd imagine that their "tent sale" isn't extended to department stores but perhaps I'll take a peek in Nordstrom's once their sale starts up on Friday.

No listen to the previous poster: go to the web site and call or email their shoe banks. They are really nice and will probably even send you a spreadsheet of what is available. They will likely be discounted in the Nordstrom sale based on past experience, but are a lot cheaper from the shoe bank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads