or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Newb Allen Edmonds questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newb Allen Edmonds questions

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi All:

I'm having a bit of buyers remorse on a pair of AE shoes I bought yesterday, and was wondering if someone could chime in with some advice on whether I should return them.

Essentially, I bought a pair of shoes one width too narrow because the pair that fit me better were dyed noticeably darker. Same model, both supposed to be burgundy, but a marked difference between the two. I'd go as far as saying the other pair could be mistaken for brown. Now they don't fit terribly, but it bothers me that they could fit a tiny bit better. Which brings me to my questions.....is this common for AE? If I return them for the slightly wider shoe, will the colour mellow out over time/wear?

Apologies if this has been covered. I waded through 8 pages of search results to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 10
If it were me, I'd compromise on color before I'd compromise on fit. Unless you're getting a good deal, why compromise at all?
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post
If it were me, I'd compromise on color before I'd compromise on fit. Unless you're getting a good deal, why compromise at all?

x2

Did they only have one pair in your correct size?
post #4 of 10
The color probably won't fade out in an appreciable way. I think that fit ought to come before color, and even then, the nature of deals is that they tend to resurface from time to time. If you're patient, you could probably compromise less.
post #5 of 10
use some darker polish on them for a while and they will end up a bit darker
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
use some darker polish on them for a while and they will end up a bit darker

OP wrote that he wanted them lighter, not darker. Although there might be some small color loss if you only use neutral/clear polishes, you can't make shoes significantly lighter with polishing.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgt465 View Post
OP wrote that he wanted them lighter, not darker. Although there might be some small color loss if you only use neutral/clear polishes, you can't make shoes significantly lighter with polishing.

You could try bleaching them by leaving them in the sun, I suppose.
post #8 of 10
The more narrow ones may stretch to a comfortable size.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post
If it were me, I'd compromise on color before I'd compromise on fit. Unless you're getting a good deal, why compromise at all?

This
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the replies. They're going back eventually, hopefully in an exchange. It's going to be painful staring at shiny brand new shoes and not wearing them until then.....but I suppose less painful than wearing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post
x2

Did they only have one pair in your correct size?
They had 3 pairs in size 10, the best looking being 10D, the best fitting being 10E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samovar McGee View Post
The color probably won't fade out in an appreciable way. I think that fit ought to come before color, and even then, the nature of deals is that they tend to resurface from time to time. If you're patient, you could probably compromise less.
You're absolutely right. I have a couple months to return them, so I'll keep checking back on their stock to see if I can't find a lighter pair that fit properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
You could try bleaching them by leaving them in the sun, I suppose.
This is also what the salesman suggested. The pair on display were the lightest to support this thinking, but I was hoping that someone could confirm with their own experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Newb Allen Edmonds questions