• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

casual button downs

mike1423

Reaction score
What are some nice button-downs that I can wear with jeans or khakis, untucked? I'm a thin guy who is 5'5 if that helps. And since it's summer can i wear long-sleeved button down's with shorts, but just with the sleeves rolled up a little (how far up should I roll them) or does it not really matter? And any suggestions for casual shoes. Does anyone recommend sperry's?

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
You described my look perfectly. I like polo, mercer, j press, southern tide, and Brooks brothers. Sperrys are fine but penny loafers are nice too

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I can't say that I am purposely brand loyal to one type of casual button down as my closet runs from vintage Gap to Maison Martin Margiela.

However, recently I have found that the majority of my purchases have been from Gant. Gant Rugger, Gant mainline or Michael Bastian for Gant, this brand has made up the bulk of my recent casual button down purchases. They come in some pretty preppy looks (my general style) and are cut slim but not stick-thin. I'd highly suggest you have a look at them.

For shoes you can't go wrong with a pair of beefroll penny loafers. Alden, Mark McNairy and Ralph Lauren make some great versions (and those happen to be the last 3 pairs of loafers that I purchased). I've probably owned over 30 pairs of Top Siders in my life, but recently they have become a little played out IMO so I have gone to loafers. But they are still a great beater/casual choice.

Just remember if you wear shorts to keep them slim through the thigh, flat front and 2-3 inches above the knee.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that you're misusing the terminology. A 'button-down' refers to a collar with points that button to the shirt which is inherently casual.

MidfieldMan

Reaction score
Sperry makes some limited editions that can give you a bit of uniqueness. Bourbonbasted is right that they have been a little played, lately.

With loafers, I'd add Donald Pliner to the mix. IMO, those are quality shoes that have been popping up on the flash sale sites lately. Keep your eyes open.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I think that you're misusing the terminology. A 'button-down' refers to a collar with points that button to the shirt which is inherently casual.
Perhaps in England and the iGentry, but in America generally, button down usually refers to the button front shirt. If you're referring to the collar, use "button down collar". Also, being a pedantic dick is generally frowned upon. But if you have to be, make sure that your interpretation is the only valid one instead of one of a larger number of valid ones. Otherwise, you're just an asshole. To the OP in regards to shoes: Sperrys are okay, but not IMO the greatest. I would go for penny loafers or dirty bucks. If you don't have the budget for the other recommendations on pennys, stick with Bass. I think it's the gilman that comes in a full grain, oiled leather if you want that, as well as suede. They also have the standard shiny corrected grain ones- not as bad as SF often makes out. Certainly a class above the crap most people wear. And even if you do have the money for higher end, bass is fine for bucks. Grab a pair. Suede whatever goes great with jeans.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike1423
What are some nice button-downs that I can wear with jeans or khakis, untucked? I'm a thin guy who is 5'5 if that helps. And since it's summer can i wear long-sleeved button down's with shorts, but just with the sleeves rolled up a little (how far up should I roll them) or does it not really matter? And any suggestions for casual shoes. Does anyone recommend sperry's?

I would recommend that you take a look at some of the shirts and shoes at Epaulet. The Epaulet brand of shirt has a nice tailored fit, and is available in sizes that should work for you. The fabrics available at the moment are a bit limited, but I gather that they expect a restock of summer shirts soon. You can find out more reading through the Epaulet thread over at SW&D.

Bruin19

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Polo Ralph Lauren's slim fitting shirts. Polo.com has a large selection.

barzen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Perhaps in England and the iGentry, but in America generally, button down usually refers to the button front shirt. If you're referring to the collar, use "button down collar".

I'm with SkinnyGoomba on this one-- I interpret "button down" as referring to a shirt with a button down collar. FWIW, here's a quote from the Wikipedia article:

"Button-down" is sometimes used incorrectly to describe the front buttoning of a shirt; a "button-down" shirt refers to a shirt with an American "button-down" collar introduced by Brooks Brothers in 1896, discussed below.[1]

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barzen
I'm with SkinnyGoomba on this one-- I interpret "button down" as referring to a shirt with a button down collar. FWIW, here's a quote from the Wikipedia article:
I agree, but I know that unless I am on SF, a button down refers to a button front shirt. Edit: Has anyone tried BB ESF sport shirts? Are they the same sizing as their dress shirts?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

Wasn't sure if the poster was aware of the difference but my suggestions were based on button-down collars. Then again I almost always have button-down collars on my casual shirts so it's my default thinking.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barzen
I agree with SG as well, but the term is mis-used so frequently that the meaning is morphing to button-front. In this case, the ensuing lack off precision is a loss to the language. If button fronts are now button downs how do we differentiate the shirts with button collars? While we're on the topic, how in the heck did "nonplussed" start morphing from "stunned into speechlessness" to "unfazed", its exact opposite? It leaves me gob smacked!

mike1423

Reaction score
I didn't really realize the difference, my bad...So can button-down collars and button-down fronts be used with jeans and khakis? And I'm guessing with a button-down collar you always have those buttons buttoned? Btw, thanks for all the responses; I'll be sure to check out the places you guys mentioned.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nat Nast.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the BB BF shirts as they are higher quality than most shirts in that price range and fit quite well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads