• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Per Se vs. Eleven Madison Park

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a four day trip to New York in October. We're going to eat well while we're there, but we're planning on eating really well at least one night. Our thought is to do either Eleven Madison Park or Per Se. For background, we've been to The French Laundry and loved it, so I'm sure Per Se is a safe bet. What are your thoughts on how we should handle the situation?

Also, I think my parents might be there for a few nights and they're not quite as into haute cuisine as we are. Can anyone make any suggestions for a few really great places that do less adventurous cuisine? Thanks, H_S.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Se for sure. EMP is great but they're in different leagues altogether, food and service wise.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Per Se for sure. EMP is great but they're in different leagues altogether, food and service wise.

Don't let gomestar read this.
frown.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PS for sure...

alexg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

I'm not so sure. I'd say the service is different, but not necessarily better at either restaurant. Per Se is very unobtrusive and the service seems more rehearsed. Everything gets to your table exactly when it's supposed to, your water gets refilled without you noticing, it's pretty close to perfect. While EMP isn't far off from this level, they make up for any imperfections by being so friendly. I was there alone, and 4 or 5 different people came to check on me and make sure everything was alright and talk about the food/beer I was drinking. I'd still recommend Per Se for the sole reason that it's Per Se, but you're not going to go wrong at either restaurant. The sturgeon sabayon at EMP is still one of the best things I've ever eaten.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Don't let gomestar read this.
frown.gif

I don't disagree. Very different restaurants and a different scene. But it should be worth noting that it's also a different world price wise - the basic menu at EMP is like $100 a person, and the wine list is rather reasonable, while Per Se is $300 a person with no other options other than the bar. And Per Se's wine list is absolutely outrageous.

If I'm with friends and family, I'd prefer EMP, if I'm with somebody of importance, Per Se.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue Hill at Stone Barns tends to have simpler food and is also excellent.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
If I'm with friends and family, I'd prefer EMP, if I'm with somebody of importance, Per Se.

lol8[1].gif

Don't let your friends and family read this.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar

I absolutely agree with this.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The Per Se wine list is a giant extended middle finger at the diner.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
? Please explain.

Horrendously overpriced. It's not only that there are no values; there are no non-insults to your intelligence.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Horrendously overpriced. It's not only that there are no values; there are no non-insults to your intelligence.
I see. And is $90 corkage even within 2 SD of the mean in NYC?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Based on my dining at both, I'd recommend Per Se.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads