or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Drug testing at work
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Drug testing at work - Page 4

post #46 of 59
I work for the Government and they now have random drug testing for all employees. I have probably had a urine test for drugs and alcohol 20+ times in the last 19 years.
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesuquegolfer View Post
I work for the Government and they now have random drug testing for all employees. I have probably had a urine test for drugs and alcohol 20+ times in the last 19 years.

you're banned from drinking...?
post #48 of 59
I had to do a breathalyzer the first day I showed up for work. Didn't really see the point, wasn't exactly planning on getting hammered and showing up to fly.
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmt View Post
you're banned from drinking...?

Actually you have to be careful on how much you consume the day before. I know of a guy that tested positive the day after Superbowl, and when questioned he stated that he had not had anything to drink 12 hours prior to work. However, prior to that he had more than 12 beers and still had enough in his system to blow a positive. They said it didn't matter when he had consumed but that he should not be at work in an "impaired" state. Also, no cocktails at lunch. Prior to testing I know people that would drink at lunch. I know people that gave up poppy seed muffins just to avoid any possibility. IMO that is being a little too paranoid.
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
Hair will go back much further than urine. Rate of testing also tapers off to twice a year as the gents get established.

wtf? what kind of job requires this? or is it just a wasteful company that likes to do wasteful things?
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
wasn't exactly planning on getting hammered and showing up to fly.

it happens
post #52 of 59
i used to work for a trucking company; they ran regular tests for whipper and meth but turned a blind eye when they came back positive.
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by slycedbred View Post
wtf? what kind of job requires this? or is it just a wasteful company that likes to do wasteful things?
It's one of the more profitable companies of its size in its industry here in the Southwest. Drugs don't mix well with things like heavy equipment, machinery, high voltage work, etc. It also works wonders for weeding out those who wouldn't follow company policy on other things, or ignore attention to detail when the foreman isn't around. It's managed to more than pay for itself.
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
it happens

It most certainly does. A lot more than you would think.
post #55 of 59
i've only been in the following situations:

1) Prior to my first job out of college
2) Working at a client site where pharmaceutical products are manufactured
3) Prior to working for a government run entity at my second job
post #56 of 59
I just had a random drug test. I hate how they treat you like you have already failed it.
post #57 of 59
I was tested when I accepted my job here - had to report to a lab within 3 days to give a urine sample. I think the background check company actually processed the result from Quest (the testing lab) and would have reported it back to the employer. A nurse (or doctor, I forget) with the company called me and said that I tested positive (had an injury a few days before and a scrip for tylenol with codeine) - sent them a copy and all was fine. I don't think it was reported to the employer, not that it would have mattered. FWIW this is with a Fortune 500.
post #58 of 59
Just accepted a consulting gig and they said I'd have to do a drug test within three days of signing the offer. I haven't done any drugs in the past months but I have been around people who have smoked weed. Would this be detected in my system? I also have a prescription for anxiety medication (propranolol, ativan); would that come up? What exactly are they testing for in a urine sample?
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
Just accepted a consulting gig and they said I'd have to do a drug test within three days of signing the offer.

I haven't done any drugs in the past months but I have been around people who have smoked weed. Would this be detected in my system? I also have a prescription for anxiety medication (propranolol, ativan); would that come up? What exactly are they testing for in a urine sample?

If you are prescribed a drug, simply say so when they ask. If you were in a car that people hotboxed you might fail, otherwise second hand smoke is not a real threat. Nonetheless, I might stay away from direct contact with people smoking until after the test. The 30 days figure that people give for weed is only for those that smoke a crap-ton. A few days is usually fine for someone who isn't a regular smoker.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Drug testing at work