• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back for another suit critique

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Hey guys, Any feedback on this Navy suit? Sorry for the low quality pictures, cheap camera my sis-law shot real quick.
DSC02776.jpg
DSC02778.jpg
DSC02774.jpg
DSC02786.jpg
Thanks in advance.
smile.gif
My pervious post: Post 1 and Post 2

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks decent. Some tweaks you might consider:

-Sleeve length
-Get a tailor to alter the jacket so the lapels lay flat
-Sleeve pitch change?

Also, you might consider a jacket with a lower button stance next time. This one is RIDICULOUSLY high. But the essential fit of the jacket is fine. And bluchers look funny with suits, especially when they're tan.

Grenadier

Reaction score
The left sleeve could be 1/2" longer. Wear a tie. Also, I can't tell if it's black or dark navy from the picture, but if it's black, ditch it.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier
The left sleeve could be 1/2" longer. Wear a tie. Also, I can't tell if it's black or dark navy from the picture, but if it's black, ditch it.

Clearly navy in the last picture.

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
a whole lot better than your last one
Thank you.. I donated the one from my first post.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by jrd617
Looks decent. Some tweaks you might consider: -Sleeve length -Get a tailor to alter the jacket so the lapels lay flat -Sleeve pitch change? Also, you might consider a jacket with a lower button stance next time. This one is RIDICULOUSLY high. But the essential fit of the jacket is fine. And bluchers look funny with suits, especially when they're tan.
1) Sleeve length: I'll def look into it. I tend to buy a 33 for my shirts. I might go down to a 32. I do like to show more cuff. Is this a personal taste thing or am I breaking some rule? 2) Get a tailor to alter the jacket so the lapels lay flat: Interesting, I didn't know this was an option. I'll def look into it. 3)Sleeve pitch change: Like rehanging the sleeve to match my posture?
Originally Posted by Grenadier
Hmm I think your on to something. I also had that feeling but I thought it might be my shirt. That gingham shirt's leave is .5 longer then the other one.. odd. I wonder if its to compensate a watch? duno. Also, Why would I have to ditch it if it was black? is there a different way blacks are suppose to fit? or did you mean it was just a bad shade?

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice. Some slight problems with the sleeve head.
BTW I would choose darker shoes.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Button stance is too high. The coat also appears a little too short (though that's in fashion right now). I think the shirt sleeves are a little long which makes the coat sleeves appear a little short. Nothing major, though.

The shoes, although they are bluchers and a bit too light (walnut?) for a navy suit, are a huge improvement over those from your first thread. They'd probably go better with a lighter, more casual suit (or sport coat), though.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Black suits aren't meant to be worn during the day unless you're going to a funeral, participating in a wedding as the groom, work in the hospitality industry, or are a member of the clergy.

Originally Posted by Jkhan82

[...]

Also, Why would I have to ditch it if it was black? is there a different way blacks are suppose to fit? or did you mean it was just a bad shade?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit looks fine 'as is' to me. The shoes are fine too, but as they are bluchers they are considered casual dress shoes and are better matched with a sport coat and slacks or denim.
Try on a pair of balmorals in black or burgundy with this suit.
Are you sure those shoes aren't too big for you? They look enormous.
Shirt sleeve length is an inch too long.

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Looks nice. Some slight problems with the sleeve head. BTW I would choose darker shoes.
Thanks. Yeah I just ordered a pair of Fifth Ave in Brown, just waiting for "allaboutshoes" to send those puppies out!
Originally Posted by thebac
Button stance is too high. The coat also appears a little too short (though that's in fashion right now). I think the shirt sleeves are a little long which makes the coat sleeves appear a little short. Nothing major, though.
What would be a standard button stance? Thanks for the reply!
Originally Posted by texas_jack
big hands are big
lol my hands do look awfully odd.. like big hulk hands
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Suit looks fine 'as is' to me. The shoes are fine too, but as they are bluchers they are considered casual dress shoes and are better matched with a sport coat and slacks or denim. Try on a pair of balmorals in black or burgundy with this suit. Are you sure those shoes aren't too big for you? They look enormous. Shirt sleeve length is an inch too long.
Thanks Man of Lint, I recently ordered Fifth Ave's in brown and will soon order the AE Strands in walnut. I'll keep these Clifton for going out. The shoe size is fine, since the Clifton's run big on me so I got a size 8. I got measured at AE—I was told I was flat footed and had wide feet... :/ now I have to get a 8.5E or even EE. I got a nice pair of shoes and a complex..lovely
smile.gif

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Question, I been checking up "Button stance" and I'm confused of what a normal button stance vs a high is suppose to be? maybe I'm not clearly understanding the terminology? can someone explain this for future my reference?

Thanks in advance

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The button stance should be such that the top button on a two-button suit (the one that is buttoned) should be approximately where your natural waist lies (depending on your height, the relative size of your torso vs your legs, etc it might be OK to deviate from that rule).

In your picture the top button is well above your natural waist--this seems to be in fashion currently, but it's not the SF-approved classic button stance.

See this thread for a recent discussion on the topic:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=207990

Originally Posted by Jkhan82
Question, I been checking up "Button stance" and I'm confused of what a normal button stance vs a high is suppose to be? maybe I'm not clearly understanding the terminology? can someone explain this for future my reference?

Thanks in advance

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebac
The button stance should be such that the top button on a two-button suit (the one that is buttoned) should be approximately where your natural waist lies (depending on your height, the relative size of your torso vs your legs, etc it might be OK to deviate from that rule).

In your picture the top button is well above your natural waist--this seems to be in fashion currently, but it's not the SF-approved classic button stance.

See this thread for a recent discussion on the topic:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=207990

Thanks! Very helpful!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads