Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL Last post on 10/8/16 at 10:40am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 6/6/16 at 1:28pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..) - Page 520post #7786 of 219068/16/13 at 11:49pmpost #7787 of 219068/17/13 at 3:12ampost #7788 of 219068/17/13 at 6:45amseems like an interesting debate, but really, if jun/IS/ma+ look similar to cdiem, it's because they WERE cdiem.
of course work should evolve with the times but i gotta say, cdiem's shapes are hard to beat, although ma+ has managed a very sleek look too.
i will look at some IS's in person tomorrow and cry at the pricepost #7789 of 219068/17/13 at 7:40amQuote:
Nobody's trying to say that Carpe Diem didn't have influence on shoe shapes in menswear; it obviously did. But their designs were also refinements of existing ideas, as every other designer continues to do. I don't understand the purpose of proclaiming every shoe with a rounded, raised toe box as being a Carpe knock-off. It's really unproductive and worse, it's unfair to the designers.post #7790 of 219068/17/13 at 7:43amQuote:Originally Posted by fistinyoface
Or try the IS S14 five hole boot and the CDiem S23M work boot. For m.a+ and Carpe, just take a look at the back zip. Really just compare any two pairs and you'll see the similarities. I've got multiple pairs of each and have many owned others. Perhaps if you're just judging from online pictures you're having difficulty making the connection.
Try asking on SZ. Even if that place is maligned here it's still the best source of info on these brands and the similarities are hardly unnoticed.
I'd say the toe shape on those are quite different,
As for MA+ and C.Diem back zips, all C.Diem back zips have a narrow toe and MA+ have the slight bulb shape. For me the shape of MA+ boots is nothing like C.Diem at all.post #7791 of 219068/17/13 at 10:37ampost #7792 of 219068/17/13 at 10:48amQuote:Originally Posted by brad-t
Nobody's trying to say that Carpe Diem didn't have influence on shoe shapes in menswear; it obviously did. But their designs were also refinements of existing ideas, as every other designer continues to do. I don't understand the purpose of proclaiming every shoe with a rounded, raised toe box as being a Carpe knock-off. It's really unproductive and worse, it's unfair to the designers.
Do you honestly think Vadel hasn't produced a Carpe knock off with these? As stated by shady_2001, they even copied the emblem from the bottom. It's not simply the rounded and raised toe box. It's the entire shape of the thing; and decreasing the raised toe box incline a few degrees isn't forging an entirely different design.
The toe is slightly more bulbous. Slightly. Hardly a world apart. Look at a pair of those side by side and then something like CCP, Rick, Augusta, Layer-0, Guidi, Incarnation, BBS, etc. Now there's a big difference. Here not so much.
It's pretty amazing that you guys don't get this. I'm not prescribing scorn on drawing any influences. Hell, I love Augusta and Simone likes reinterpretations more than anyone.post #7793 of 219068/17/13 at 11:31ampost #7794 of 219068/17/13 at 11:43ampost #7795 of 219068/17/13 at 12:20pmpost #7796 of 219068/17/13 at 2:22pmpost #7797 of 219068/17/13 at 3:26pmQuote:
dude dont discourage people from having a conversation. i am following the discussion even though i've had it before several times.post #7798 of 219068/17/13 at 8:40pmQuote:
Yes. The emblem is the only clearly ripped part and strikes me as more homage than knock-off. Those two models are not really similar ... just look at the stitching from the front.
In addition, the toebox is actually squared off slightly.
You're essentially saying any shoe with a wide, rounded, upturned toe box is a Carpe knock-off, even though all the Carpe models have taken way less trivial details from their predecessors. Carpe's shoes are, in and of itself, a reinterpretation of many basic shoe models.
It's not my intent to bore anyone, so I'm going to leave it at that.
Edited by brad-t - 8/17/13 at 9:15pmpost #7799 of 219068/17/13 at 11:08pmpost #7800 of 219068/18/13 at 12:47am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › I need feminism because tumblr 2 seconds ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 2 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 12 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 2 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 6 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 8 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...