Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL Last post on 4/23/16 at 10:02am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..) - Page 520post #7786 of 211248/16/13 at 11:49pmpost #7787 of 211248/17/13 at 3:12ampost #7788 of 211248/17/13 at 6:45amseems like an interesting debate, but really, if jun/IS/ma+ look similar to cdiem, it's because they WERE cdiem.
of course work should evolve with the times but i gotta say, cdiem's shapes are hard to beat, although ma+ has managed a very sleek look too.
i will look at some IS's in person tomorrow and cry at the pricepost #7789 of 211248/17/13 at 7:40amQuote:
Nobody's trying to say that Carpe Diem didn't have influence on shoe shapes in menswear; it obviously did. But their designs were also refinements of existing ideas, as every other designer continues to do. I don't understand the purpose of proclaiming every shoe with a rounded, raised toe box as being a Carpe knock-off. It's really unproductive and worse, it's unfair to the designers.post #7790 of 211248/17/13 at 7:43amQuote:Originally Posted by fistinyoface
Or try the IS S14 five hole boot and the CDiem S23M work boot. For m.a+ and Carpe, just take a look at the back zip. Really just compare any two pairs and you'll see the similarities. I've got multiple pairs of each and have many owned others. Perhaps if you're just judging from online pictures you're having difficulty making the connection.
Try asking on SZ. Even if that place is maligned here it's still the best source of info on these brands and the similarities are hardly unnoticed.
I'd say the toe shape on those are quite different,
As for MA+ and C.Diem back zips, all C.Diem back zips have a narrow toe and MA+ have the slight bulb shape. For me the shape of MA+ boots is nothing like C.Diem at all.post #7791 of 211248/17/13 at 10:37ampost #7792 of 211248/17/13 at 10:48amQuote:Originally Posted by brad-t
Nobody's trying to say that Carpe Diem didn't have influence on shoe shapes in menswear; it obviously did. But their designs were also refinements of existing ideas, as every other designer continues to do. I don't understand the purpose of proclaiming every shoe with a rounded, raised toe box as being a Carpe knock-off. It's really unproductive and worse, it's unfair to the designers.
Do you honestly think Vadel hasn't produced a Carpe knock off with these? As stated by shady_2001, they even copied the emblem from the bottom. It's not simply the rounded and raised toe box. It's the entire shape of the thing; and decreasing the raised toe box incline a few degrees isn't forging an entirely different design.
The toe is slightly more bulbous. Slightly. Hardly a world apart. Look at a pair of those side by side and then something like CCP, Rick, Augusta, Layer-0, Guidi, Incarnation, BBS, etc. Now there's a big difference. Here not so much.
It's pretty amazing that you guys don't get this. I'm not prescribing scorn on drawing any influences. Hell, I love Augusta and Simone likes reinterpretations more than anyone.post #7793 of 211248/17/13 at 11:31ampost #7794 of 211248/17/13 at 11:43ampost #7795 of 211248/17/13 at 12:20pmpost #7796 of 211248/17/13 at 2:22pmpost #7797 of 211248/17/13 at 3:26pmQuote:
dude dont discourage people from having a conversation. i am following the discussion even though i've had it before several times.post #7798 of 211248/17/13 at 8:40pmQuote:
Yes. The emblem is the only clearly ripped part and strikes me as more homage than knock-off. Those two models are not really similar ... just look at the stitching from the front.
In addition, the toebox is actually squared off slightly.
You're essentially saying any shoe with a wide, rounded, upturned toe box is a Carpe knock-off, even though all the Carpe models have taken way less trivial details from their predecessors. Carpe's shoes are, in and of itself, a reinterpretation of many basic shoe models.
It's not my intent to bore anyone, so I'm going to leave it at that.
Edited by brad-t - 8/17/13 at 9:15pmpost #7799 of 211248/17/13 at 11:08pmpost #7800 of 211248/18/13 at 12:47am
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) -... 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 3 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 6 minutes ago
- › Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone 10 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 10 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 12 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts