Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL Last post on 3/20/17 at 6:33pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Meermin Dark Brown Country Calf Brogue Boots size UK10 Last post on 2/20/17 at 10:24am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Seavees 5 Eye Trail Boots Tobacco - US 10 Last post on 8/28/16 at 6:04pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..) - Page 520post #7786 of 228758/16/13 at 11:49pmpost #7787 of 228758/17/13 at 3:12ampost #7788 of 228758/17/13 at 6:45amseems like an interesting debate, but really, if jun/IS/ma+ look similar to cdiem, it's because they WERE cdiem.
of course work should evolve with the times but i gotta say, cdiem's shapes are hard to beat, although ma+ has managed a very sleek look too.
i will look at some IS's in person tomorrow and cry at the pricepost #7789 of 228758/17/13 at 7:40amQuote:
Nobody's trying to say that Carpe Diem didn't have influence on shoe shapes in menswear; it obviously did. But their designs were also refinements of existing ideas, as every other designer continues to do. I don't understand the purpose of proclaiming every shoe with a rounded, raised toe box as being a Carpe knock-off. It's really unproductive and worse, it's unfair to the designers.post #7790 of 228758/17/13 at 7:43amQuote:Originally Posted by fistinyoface
Or try the IS S14 five hole boot and the CDiem S23M work boot. For m.a+ and Carpe, just take a look at the back zip. Really just compare any two pairs and you'll see the similarities. I've got multiple pairs of each and have many owned others. Perhaps if you're just judging from online pictures you're having difficulty making the connection.
Try asking on SZ. Even if that place is maligned here it's still the best source of info on these brands and the similarities are hardly unnoticed.
I'd say the toe shape on those are quite different,
As for MA+ and C.Diem back zips, all C.Diem back zips have a narrow toe and MA+ have the slight bulb shape. For me the shape of MA+ boots is nothing like C.Diem at all.post #7791 of 228758/17/13 at 10:37ampost #7792 of 228758/17/13 at 10:48amQuote:Originally Posted by brad-t
Nobody's trying to say that Carpe Diem didn't have influence on shoe shapes in menswear; it obviously did. But their designs were also refinements of existing ideas, as every other designer continues to do. I don't understand the purpose of proclaiming every shoe with a rounded, raised toe box as being a Carpe knock-off. It's really unproductive and worse, it's unfair to the designers.
Do you honestly think Vadel hasn't produced a Carpe knock off with these? As stated by shady_2001, they even copied the emblem from the bottom. It's not simply the rounded and raised toe box. It's the entire shape of the thing; and decreasing the raised toe box incline a few degrees isn't forging an entirely different design.
The toe is slightly more bulbous. Slightly. Hardly a world apart. Look at a pair of those side by side and then something like CCP, Rick, Augusta, Layer-0, Guidi, Incarnation, BBS, etc. Now there's a big difference. Here not so much.
It's pretty amazing that you guys don't get this. I'm not prescribing scorn on drawing any influences. Hell, I love Augusta and Simone likes reinterpretations more than anyone.post #7793 of 228758/17/13 at 11:31ampost #7794 of 228758/17/13 at 11:43ampost #7795 of 228758/17/13 at 12:20pmpost #7796 of 228758/17/13 at 2:22pmpost #7797 of 228758/17/13 at 3:26pmQuote:
dude dont discourage people from having a conversation. i am following the discussion even though i've had it before several times.post #7798 of 228758/17/13 at 8:40pmQuote:
Yes. The emblem is the only clearly ripped part and strikes me as more homage than knock-off. Those two models are not really similar ... just look at the stitching from the front.
In addition, the toebox is actually squared off slightly.
You're essentially saying any shoe with a wide, rounded, upturned toe box is a Carpe knock-off, even though all the Carpe models have taken way less trivial details from their predecessors. Carpe's shoes are, in and of itself, a reinterpretation of many basic shoe models.
It's not my intent to bore anyone, so I'm going to leave it at that.
Edited by brad-t - 8/17/13 at 9:15pmpost #7799 of 228758/17/13 at 11:08pmpost #7800 of 228758/18/13 at 12:47am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 58 seconds ago
- › Help me find a minimalist wallet (LEATHER). 2 minutes ago
- › No Man Walks Alone MTO and Pre-Orders Thread (Central Thread for... 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Italy Trip. 11 minutes ago
- › Montegrappa Reminiscence 12 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 15 minutes ago
- › Unknow Model 19 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 20 minutes ago
- › Long Wallet For Men? 20 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...