Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL Last post on 9/11/16 at 5:23pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 6/6/16 at 1:28pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..) - Page 322post #4817 of 2177511/6/12 at 8:48pmpost #4818 of 2177511/6/12 at 8:52pmpost #4819 of 2177511/6/12 at 8:58pmQuote:
If I could recommend getting one thing to use on streetwear boots it's some type of dubbin. Kiwi makes a dubbin, Saphir makes a dubbin, Sno seal is a type of dubbin. Put it everywhere - on the uppers and soles. It's not something you'd put on dress shoes because it makes the leather a touch greasy and difficult to achieve a shine, but it's good for protection and waterproofing.
IME the beeswax based ones are slightly less greasy and nicer to use than the tallow/animal fat based ones. I use a beeswax based one called Bee Kind, but basically any type of dubbin is fine. I'm not convinced that silicone or synthetic ingredients are bad for the leather - if anything they're possibly more inert than "natural" ingredients. Do consider smell - my one has a nice eucalyptus and tea tree oil infusion which is nice. Look in the natural product/hippie stores and i'm sure you'll find a range of nice smelling leather protectors.
Brush type basically doesn't matter. You can buy an expensive horsehair one or just use a $2 shop one, shouldn't make a difference. You need 1 brush with stiff bristles for brushing off dirt, and one with softer bristles for removing excess polish after polishing them or applying dubbin.
Most of the time my boots only need the dirt brushed off, but every once in a while i'll give them a workover.
my process goes like this:
- brush off dirt. If they're really dirty, clean using a little bit of shampoo and some water.
- Let them dry.
- If the leather looks really dry, they might need a bit of conditioning. Sometimes I'll use Saphir Renovateur for this, but you can use any conditioner. I actually often use Nivea For Men facial moisturiser and find it does the job.
- At this point with my dress shoes i'd use some polish, but for my streetwear boots I just put on some dubbin, allow to dry and then brush off the excess.
Lastly, less is more. I do this maybe once every 3 months and don't feel like they need it more than that. It's too easy to get obsessive about these things when you start reading about every product on the market; they all claim to prevent your shoes from spontaneous explosion and that every other product has some poison ivy ingredient that will give your shoes cancer. The reality is that the leather has been tanned and treated well before you receive them and probably needs minimal (if any) upkeep. Waterproofing your shoes with sno-seal originated from the need to prevent your feet from getting wet, not to prevent the leather from rotting. Leather is fine when it gets wet as long as it has time to dry.
Edited by hendrix - 11/6/12 at 9:36pmpost #4820 of 2177511/6/12 at 9:11pmpost #4821 of 2177511/6/12 at 9:19pmpost #4822 of 2177511/6/12 at 9:47pmpost #4823 of 2177511/6/12 at 11:40pmpost #4824 of 2177511/6/12 at 11:48pmQuote:
I had a serious talk with my dog when I got him. I said if I see 1 torn scratched or chewed piece of italian calf, newzealand lamb or suede, you're going to go live with my mom.
Little dude has never eaten a shoe, a pair of glasses or anything other than his toys.
He did put a small tear in my silk duvet cover with his claws, but I can live with that.post #4825 of 2177511/7/12 at 1:57amQuote:
to understand and use the term stupid you should first understand the notion of LIKE. please refer to the part in my post where i mention what i like or dislike!post #4826 of 2177511/7/12 at 2:47ampost #4827 of 2177511/7/12 at 9:36ampost #4828 of 2177511/7/12 at 1:11pmpost #4829 of 2177511/7/12 at 1:13pmpost #4830 of 2177511/7/12 at 5:05pm
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 seconds ago
- › THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD 3 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 4 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 5 minutes ago
- › BNWT N&F Weird Guy Elephant 5 Sz 31 Jeans 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 11 minutes ago
- › The Possibly Official Engineered Garments Trading Thread 15 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 16 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...