or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..) - Page 1392

post #20866 of 22249

Sorry if this is a bad thread for this, but I think I have an issue with my new pair of Guidi boots I got from Holger :( Just want to hear your thoughts.

 

I've taken them for a couple of walks, but I'm getting significant discomfort on the my left foot. Right foot is perfect, super comfortable. It's like the flex point on the left shoe isn't right - the toe cap digs into my toes right where the shoe bends. I thought my left foot might be smaller, but I've never had that issue on other shoes. Measuring the length of my feet there's no significant difference. There is about an 2-2,5 cm of toe space (1 inch), which should be fine right? - the width seems to fit at least. Maybe they could've been a half size smaller, I don't know, but don't think it should make that much of a difference.

 

I was stumped. But then I noticed something. It almost looks and feels as if there is no reinforced toe on the right shoe :puzzled: Really, I don't know if this can be right. Seems so strange. I know it's hard to judge from pictures, but look at this..

 

It's obvious that the left shoe folds right where the toe cap starts..

 

This picture is taken after I pressed down on the toe of both shoes. Right shoe is flat, left bounces back into shape. Feels a little stiffer, too. Can't be that much of a difference between the leather structure/stiffness right?

post #20867 of 22249
Looks to the be the case - Guidi has versions with both structured and unstructured toes.
post #20868 of 22249
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckblk View Post

^^
Get the A_Tre model maybe try to request visible GY stitching. Don't forget you can request different color lining too.

Re: a1923- I don't think any store has gotten their Shell boots yet. Mine were cancelled a few years ago by A1923 when I pre-ordered through Anchoret.


Thanks for the recommendation. I was kind of leaning that way anyway, and your opinion is helpful. I'll ask about the visible GY stitching that sounds like a great idea!

 

The perspective on a1923 shell is also quite helpful. I wonder what is preventing Simone from working more with shell. Not that he doesn't have some other great leathers and treatments, but that is kind of the ultimate.

post #20869 of 22249
The highlight of A1923 is really the leather and treatments - colors and textures you really don't see anywhere else. I'm sure he can make a fantastic shell boot, but if he's just going to use another maker's leather, I don't see why it HAS to be from A1923 unless you're really in love with his construction and/or shapes. M_moria and Petrosolaum already do fantastic work in shell
post #20870 of 22249
Thread Starter 
previously there was an issue with the treatment on the shell. Re: A1923.


pic from my dude, Pita

post #20871 of 22249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post

The highlight of A1923 is really the leather and treatments - colors and textures you really don't see anywhere else. I'm sure he can make a fantastic shell boot, but if he's just going to use another maker's leather, I don't see why it HAS to be from A1923 unless you're really in love with his construction and/or shapes. M_moria and Petrosolaum already do fantastic work in shell


I do really like Simone's construction and shape, and I guess I'm also curious what, if anything, he might do differently to the shell he receives in terms of treatments. I'd also like to compare his shell boot with the m_moriabc I have in a hands-on way.

Do you know what Mr. Altieri's shell source is by any chance?

post #20872 of 22249
Horween.
post #20873 of 22249

Hmmm...sounds suspiciously like "another maker's leather." :butbut: Kind of a rhetorical/facetious question in the first place; my apologies.

There are very few purveyors of shell cordovan, so finding someone who uses a unique source is obviously not the issue. And fwiw, I haven't seen Petrosolaum footwear in person, but they don't seem to be in the same class as m_moriabc; to label them both as "fantastic" seems overly simplistic. 

post #20874 of 22249
there are only 2 places that source shell cordovan from what i remember shinki and horween. if there are others do tell...
post #20875 of 22249


zactly. plus, who the fuck cares in this heat?!?!

post #20876 of 22249
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdocgs View Post


zactly. plus, who the fuck cares in this heat?!?!

yea wtf, should cool down tomorrow and rain during weekend, i stayed strong and wore my boots to work because F the heat
post #20877 of 22249


Ha! You wore "your boots?!?!" Which ones, man?!?!

I wore my old but now pretty awesome Atelier-purchased, a1923 "fatto-a-mano" horse culatta black boots today. Second pair of baller boots I ever bought (after my Layer-0 blood/black boots from Vitamori; remember that site?), and when they first arrived I almost shat myself thinking that they were WAY too small, but after wearing them, of course, they are a lovely fit. They keep getting better with every wear. 

I do have one pair of a1923 derbies, and a pair of L-0 derbies on the way, so maybe I can take the Big Leap and wear those out in public some day. Tomorrow might be too soon, though.

For the rain, kudu back-zips. grim reapers of the boot world.

post #20878 of 22249
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdocgs View Post


Ha! You wore "your boots?!?!" Which ones, man?!?!
I wore my old but now pretty awesome Atelier-purchased, a1923 "fatto-a-mano" horse culatta black boots today. Second pair of baller boots I ever bought (after my Layer-0 blood/black boots from Vitamori; remember that site?), and when they first arrived I almost shat myself thinking that they were WAY too small, but after wearing them, of course, they are a lovely fit. They keep getting better with every wear. 
I do have one pair of a1923 derbies, and a pair of L-0 derbies on the way, so maybe I can take the Big Leap and wear those out in public some day. Tomorrow might be too soon, though.
For the rain, kudu back-zips. grim reapers of the boot world.

fw14 culatta dual zips, opened one of the zips for some air... oh and i work in SJ so you know i was a bit warmer then sf.

dude don't you have MM on the way as well? how many shoes did you pre-order?
post #20879 of 22249
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdocgs View Post

Hmmm...sounds suspiciously like "another maker's leather." butbut.gif  Kind of a rhetorical/facetious question in the first place; my apologies.
There are very few purveyors of shell cordovan, so finding someone who uses a unique source is obviously not the issue. And fwiw, I haven't seen Petrosolaum footwear in person, but they don't seem to be in the same class as m_moriabc; to label them both as "fantastic" seems overly simplistic. 

Petrosolaum and M moria are quite comparable as far as quality goes. Both are 100% handmade to the highest pedigree. Petrosolaum obviously doesn't use the wooden nails and uses shinki cordovan which IMO isn't as nice as Horween, but to put M_moria so high on a pedestal is placing too much emphasis on the price and myth of Altieri. Again, this is no knock on M_moria - the work is incredible, I've never handled a nicer boot, but there are a lot of quality shoemakers out there l
post #20880 of 22249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

there are only 2 places that source shell cordovan from what i remember shinki and horween. if there are others do tell...

There's a couple more in Europe as well, not many, but the total number is closer to 4-5

edit: here's a couple more

http://www.guardedgoods.com/pages/shell-cordovan

JOSEPH CLAYTON & SONS (ENGLAND)
ROCADO SRL (ITALY)
Edited by nicelynice - 4/7/16 at 4:54am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..)