or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..) - Page 1391

post #20851 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by oulipien View Post

SF & Berkeley, yeah. I remember when Sui Generis opened, actually, not that I had any clue about their stock in trade at the time (and I was an impecunious grad student anyway).

cool man
post #20852 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post


they don't have much of it. they only had 1 ccp blazer and a pair of guidi that went quick.

http://www.suigenerisconsignment.com/home.php


Never found anything there I liked. Mostly mainstream stuff. Haven't checked in a while, though. The online community kind of obviates or at least supersedes the need for a place like that now.

 

@oulipien, you did Cal grad school? When? I was there during the big 'quake of '89. That motherfucker hit right as I was proctoring an exam. Called the prof to ask him what to do (students were crying, freaking out, didn't know if their parents might have been under one of the collapsed structures, etc), and the asshole told us to just "have them take it anyway," while he skipped out and went home to make sure his family was okay. Funny: I now live just four or five blocks from where I rented a place with fellow sufferers back in the day; totally different neighborhood now, but still so evocative to walk by that house.

 

Anyway, as far as actual boots go, m_moriabc #3 is in process. Another 9-hole, another in reverse shell. Color TBD in a way that I'll describe later. Forgive the vague description, but it's all I've got for now. 

post #20853 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdocgs View Post


Never found anything there I liked. Mostly mainstream stuff. Haven't checked in a while, though. The online community kind of obviates or at least supersedes the need for a place like that now.

@oulipien
, you did Cal grad school? When? I was there during the big 'quake of '89. That motherfucker hit right as I was proctoring an exam. Called the prof to ask him what to do (students were crying, freaking out, didn't know if their parents might have been under one of the collapsed structures, etc), and the asshole told us to just "have them take it anyway," while he skipped out and went home to make sure his family was okay. Funny: I now live just four or five blocks from where I rented a place with fellow sufferers back in the day; totally different neighborhood now, but still so evocative to walk by that house.

Anyway, as far as actual boots go, m_moriabc #3 is in process. Another 9-hole, another in reverse shell. Color TBD in a way that I'll describe later. Forgive the vague description, but it's all I've got for now. 

i keep walking in hoping i'll find something.

re school, i remember being in school and my commute included the golden gate bridge, on 9/11 i had a stat test but i ditched it because i was worried the bridge may be shut down due to potential state of emergency at the time. The teacher was one like the professor that you described that would have made people take the test anyway. well F that and most of the class didn't come either, she had to post pone. Sorry life happens your tests mean jack shit at end of the day.
post #20854 of 22238
Thread Starter 
@docdocgs

What last are you getting? I'm praying my side laces are ready in 3-4 weeks (probably won't happen).

Pic from http://www.taoteh.com



Images from Shelter 2



Edited by eckblk - 4/5/16 at 9:47pm
post #20855 of 22238
meh you guys and your M_Moira... you got nothing on this:
post #20856 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckblk View Post

@docdocgs

What last are you getting? I'm praying my side laces are ready in 3-4 weeks (probably won't happen).

Pic from http://www.taoteh.com
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Images from Shelter 2


 

 

@eckblk, not sure yet, probably something on the more bulbous side. I'm going for an older style for these, more in the workwear realm. I'd love to have a pair of the side-lace boots, but as I have mentioned before, those don't really fit my lifestyle needs. Something that is less obviously high-end and generally less dressy fits better for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing yours in real life, though. Maybe they'll convince me that I can live that life! The problem with m_moriabc is also its strength: you can choose pretty much anything you want. How wonderful! How stressful! 

A month ain't bad. I've been waiting for my a1923 shell cordovan boots in green/black for almost a year! Yeah, yeah, they're coming, they're coming...

post #20857 of 22238
Thread Starter 
^^
Get the A_Tre model maybe try to request visible GY stitching. Don't forget you can request different color lining too.

Re: a1923- I don't think any store has gotten their Shell boots yet. Mine were cancelled a few years ago by A1923 when I pre-ordered through Anchoret.
post #20858 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
 

 

What do you mean by the statement "showrooming ain't cool bro"?

 

Are you saying that its bad to state the name of a company that carries a relevant product in a forum post?

 

Or are you saying its bad to go to a brick and mortar shoe store to try on a pair of shoes??

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dji0 View Post
 

misinterpreted your previous post perhaps. heard too many stories of folks going into bricks & mortar stores to try things on for size just to proceed to order the exact same thing online from a cheaper (usually European or Japanese, depending on brand origin of course) retailer..

 

I figured that's what you meant, but I said nothing in my posts that implies I'm not seriously on the market for a pair of ~$1000 boots such as Guidi.  I've asked for where they are sold and simply said Archive in SF shows a large stock and that I plan to stop there to check them out, which the store should be very happy to oblige or they won't be in business for long.  There's nothing in my posts about buying them online after using Archive for a fit check, so I don't know where you got that.

 

All that being said, thanks to everyone for the later detailed analysis of importing vs. buying in local CA brick and mortar stores.  That is a large price difference.  I like supporting the local shops and don't mind paying a few bucks extra, but $300+ is a lot.

 

I've recently imported a few pair from Italy and via Canada.  It worked well on the import from Canada as I benefited from the exchange rate, paid no CA sales tax, and wasn't charged an import duty.  I got kinda screwed on the import from Italy because the seller reported full MSRP on the import duty forms and it went through a few days before the threshold was lifted.  And some middle-man company paid the duty automatically and is now trying to extort me after the fact for 300% of the actual duty cost to cover their convenience fees!  Weird.  But those were my custom made dark blue boots that I really like so it was still worth it.  :)

post #20859 of 22238

Something like the photo below would be cool.  These are Guidi 988 rear zips in black full grain horse.

 

I'd like rear zip because I don't have any rear zip.  And mid height such as below because they need to be high enough to fully enjoy the rear zipper, ie not an ankle boot.

 

Also I'd like a nice horse leather because I have countless other boots and none are horse.

 

I wouldn't want them to look boring.  These ones look nice because of the plentiful wrinkles even though the leather is smooth and not distressed.

 

It would also work to have some distressing but I don't want them to look destroyed or like they came from a construction site as I'll inevitably want to wear them to work.

 

Ideas along these lines would be appreciated.  I'll certainly browse around online and in this thread for c-diem and Guidi photos.

 

 

 

post #20860 of 22238
Ma+ backzip but toe box is more bulbous
post #20861 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdocgs View Post

 

@oulipien, you did Cal grad school? When? I was there during the big 'quake of '89. That motherfucker hit right as I was proctoring an exam. Called the prof to ask him what to do (students were crying, freaking out, didn't know if their parents might have been under one of the collapsed structures, etc), and the asshole told us to just "have them take it anyway," while he skipped out and went home to make sure his family was okay. Funny: I now live just four or five blocks from where I rented a place with fellow sufferers back in the day; totally different neighborhood now, but still so evocative to walk by that house.

 

 

Grad school at Stanford, 2005 to 2011. In 1989 I was living in SoCal (and was seven years old...) but I do remember being woken up.

post #20862 of 22238

Sui Generis does have some Incarnation boots in 43: http://www.suigenerisconsignment.com/INCARNATION-Size-10-Slate-Leather-Distressed-Boots-P-72593.html might check them out if I'm in SF over the weekend.

post #20863 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by oulipien View Post

Sui Generis does have some Incarnation boots in 43: http://www.suigenerisconsignment.com/INCARNATION-Size-10-Slate-Leather-Distressed-Boots-P-72593.html might check them out if I'm in SF over the weekend.

i saw them, they look ok, i also handled a similar version at the archive long time ago. i was never interested in incarnation boots, i didnt find them as interesting as ccp,a1923,ma+,L0
post #20864 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dji0 View Post
 

I've sized up 1 on all the Guidi's I've owned (various back zip, side zip and derby models) and been fine.

showrooming ain't cool bro..

 

Same here. I wear 43 RO Geo's and have a pair of Guide 988 backzips also in 43. The Geo's are spacious in the toe for me. If I sized up 2 in the Guidis, my heel would be swimming in there with every step.

post #20865 of 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
 

Something like the photo below would be cool.  These are Guidi 988 rear zips in black full grain horse.

 

I'd like rear zip because I don't have any rear zip.  And mid height such as below because they need to be high enough to fully enjoy the rear zipper, ie not an ankle boot.

 

Also I'd like a nice horse leather because I have countless other boots and none are horse.

 

I wouldn't want them to look boring.  These ones look nice because of the plentiful wrinkles even though the leather is smooth and not distressed.

 

It would also work to have some distressing but I don't want them to look destroyed or like they came from a construction site as I'll inevitably want to wear them to work.

 

Ideas along these lines would be appreciated.  I'll certainly browse around online and in this thread for c-diem and Guidi photos.

 

 

 

 

I have a pair of 988s, and wear them all the time.  imo, Guidi boots are more amenable to a varieyt of styles, then some of the other brands, which have a more bulbous toe.  Me, I prefer the lower profile of Guidi, but that is a personal preference, and some guys love the bulbous toe.  In terms of the actual make and leather quality, apart for M_Moriabic, which I have no personal experience with, all the boots are going to be of pretty high quality, with interesting leather, so, you should pick based on your personal taste, rather than anything else.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..)