or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..) - Page 1300

post #19486 of 22279

Oh Guidi! :butbut: Why? 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

post #19487 of 22279
Thats is one ugly ass boots.
post #19488 of 22279

Even perforated Poell was better.

post #19489 of 22279

I've been looking at the a1923 horse leather side zip boots in a 42. Normally i'm between 42/ 42.5. If the outsole measurement is 31 cm, I should have plenty of room, right? 

post #19490 of 22279
Recent purchase:

Petrosolaum McKay stitch Cordovan "slit" boots.
Offered with a handsewn welt as well, went with McKay stitch (machine sewn from inside) for a cleaner look.
Outer is one piece of leather




post #19491 of 22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupytwist View Post
 

I've been looking at the a1923 horse leather side zip boots in a 42. Normally i'm between 42/ 42.5. If the outsole measurement is 31 cm, I should have plenty of room, right? 

I'm the same size but haven't tried that brand, a 31" outsole works great for me generally.

 

Any of you live in a small town? I've got 4 pairs of shoes that all need resoling and vibram and the only couple places in town are "Melvin's shoe repair" and the like. Do you check for reviews and trust the local folks or do you send your expensive shoes off to known places that will keep the aesthetic?

 

Also I recently got a pair of Devoa reverse boots from fw 11 or something like that that are a medium grey-green, I love them but not the color. any easy way to dye them to more of a charcoal, slight blueish grey like those boots in the pic I'm quoting or will I just have to mix fiebings colors and hope for the best? or just dye them black, shave the nap at the toes and shine them like ccps....

post #19492 of 22279
adding vibram soles is a pretty easy process and you can GENERALLY trust Melvin's shoe repair not to screw things up. I'd give them a try because shipping shoes across the country for something that simple is a bit of a hassle. Like anywhere else, just be specific about what you want and ask them not to condition the boots. I've never had a small-town cobbler mess up the front sole, but I've had some do a bad job with a rubber heel and just ended up taking it somewhere else to fix - no problem.
post #19493 of 22279

Who stocks Petrosolaum?

Edit: whoops, I see you gave a comprehensive list in Recent Purchases.

post #19494 of 22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haam View Post
 

I'm the same size but haven't tried that brand, a 31" outsole works great for me generally.

 

Any of you live in a small town? I've got 4 pairs of shoes that all need resoling and vibram and the only couple places in town are "Melvin's shoe repair" and the like. Do you check for reviews and trust the local folks or do you send your expensive shoes off to known places that will keep the aesthetic?

 

Also I recently got a pair of Devoa reverse boots from fw 11 or something like that that are a medium grey-green, I love them but not the color. any easy way to dye them to more of a charcoal, slight blueish grey like those boots in the pic I'm quoting or will I just have to mix fiebings colors and hope for the best? or just dye them black, shave the nap at the toes and shine them like ccps....

I live in a small town, and get everything done by the local guy, who works mostly on crappy shoes and firefighter boots.  As long as you are very specific with what you want them to do and want them to not do, and write it on a note with your boots, it's generally fine.  Their skills can be exemplary, but as with any workman, you need to direct the work properly.

post #19495 of 22279

I once had a pair of Guidi's resoled in Singapore, was very specific about what I wanted (just removed the bottom layer of leather from the heel, don't polish, don't smooth/sand down the sole, etc.). when I returned to pick them up the cobbler had cut diagonally through the heel (presumably to level the boot so it would sit flat) and sanded and polished the heel so much that they looked like formal dress shoes so YMMV.

post #19496 of 22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dji0 View Post

I once had a pair of Guidi's resoled in Singapore, was very specific about what I wanted (just removed the bottom layer of leather from the heel, don't polish, don't smooth/sand down the sole, etc.). when I returned to pick them up the cobbler had cut diagonally through the heel (presumably to level the boot so it would sit flat) and sanded and polished the heel so much that they looked like formal dress shoes so YMMV.

Did they compensate or something? That's truly horrifying.
post #19497 of 22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepp View Post


Did they compensate or something? That's truly horrifying.

of course not, old bloke probably though he was doing me a favour. since then I've been paranoid and only brought shoes in to places I've been before or that folks in the know have recommended.

post #19498 of 22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dji0 View Post

I once had a pair of Guidi's resoled in Singapore, was very specific about what I wanted (just removed the bottom layer of leather from the heel, don't polish, don't smooth/sand down the sole, etc.). when I returned to pick them up the cobbler had cut diagonally through the heel (presumably to level the boot so it would sit flat) and sanded and polished the heel so much that they looked like formal dress shoes so YMMV.

I've had similar experience—well not that bad—back in Alabama. I'd always tell them exactly what to do, usually just a topy, and to not polish or anything, but of course they polish.. I think in my case it was because this place was run by like 3 people so probably the person I talked to did not do the job. Anyway, nothing a little acetone couldn't fix, but you have to be careful with that stuff, dry your boots out so quick..
post #19499 of 22279
Thanks, I'll give it a shot with my thrifted allen edmonds I distressed and dyed black and see if he does a good job, then move onto the more expensive stuff.
post #19500 of 22279
What's the opinion on the brand Feit?

From what I read online, the brand used to be a lot smaller, and hence had a better grasp on quality control.

But now they supposedly outsource production overseas and in turn have a lower level of quality.

Any truth to that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.A.+, M Moria, Carpe Diem, etc..)