or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › New Orleans Tomorrow - any must hit spots?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Orleans Tomorrow - any must hit spots? - Page 2

post #16 of 36
Coop's Place on Decatur. It's a total dive with *incredibly* good food. The jambalaya and fried chicken were both highlights of my trip. [Oops: just noticed the date of the original query. Input probably too late at this point.]
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post
Coop's Place on Decatur. It's a total dive with *incredibly* good food. The jambalaya and fried chicken were both highlights of my trip.

[Oops: just noticed the date of the original query. Input probably too late at this point.]

The fried chicken at Coop's is pretty awesome. It's particularly good after visiting a few bars on Frenchmen.
post #18 of 36
Johnny's Po Boys are my favorite in that fine city. The line of locals on the other hand...
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackToothedGrin View Post
Stella is the best restaurant in the city, but not a place for a b-party probably.

Stella is pretty fucking good. I always try to get something there when I'm in NO.
post #20 of 36
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar (Corner of Bourbon & St. Philip)
https://www.lafittesblacksmithshop.com/Homepage.html

Warning for the faint of heart: Not to be confused with Lafitte's in Exile just a few blocks away.
http://www.lafittes.com/
post #21 of 36
August Restaurant

Dick and Jenny's
post #22 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by airportlobby View Post
Central Grocery is the only muffaletta I've had and is the famous one. Other favorite po-boy shops are Domalise's, Parkway, Parasol, Verti Marte, etc.

Sidmars and Deanies are both solid, but I've never been during crawfish season and don't know if they do crawfish.

Domalise's po'boys were legit. Had gumbo and crawfish at Deanies - gumbo was amazing and the crawfish were exactly what I was looking for. My lips were burning for hours after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
True, the whole no nudity and dancing on a box is a little weird at first, but Rick's has a top shelf crew.

Spent a lot of time at Rick's. Fun, although as you said, the whole no nudity thing is BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal View Post
Central Groceries for muffaletta

It was CLOSED Sunday and Monday. Sucks - I was really looking forward to having one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post
Coop's Place on Decatur. It's a total dive with *incredibly* good food. The jambalaya and fried chicken were both highlights of my trip.

[Oops: just noticed the date of the original query. Input probably too late at this point.]

Yeah, it was too late, but we went to Coop's as it came recommended by everyone we asked. Fried chicken was very good, gumbo was very good, jambalaya was good, but not great. I think I just got a rough batch - there was only one piece of sausage in my whole plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
The fried chicken at Coop's is pretty awesome. It's particularly good after visiting a few bars on Frenchmen.

Yeah dude, the fried chicken was great. Different than I'm used to - it was "floured" with corn meal instead of flour or batter. Good stuff.

We also ate at Redfish grill which was very good. Hit up krystal's all wasted one night and housed 4 or 5 mini burgers. Gross.

Ate a few other places too, but I can't remember right now. Thanks for replying everyone.
post #23 of 36
Crawfish season is still going, what with the flood in the Basin and all, crabs are starting to run as well.

Poboys-Mahoney's, Parkway, Crabby Jacks, Parenton's

Muffaletta-Central Grocery

Cochon/Butcher, GW Fins, K Pauls, Boucherie, Clancy's, Rio Mar, Stein's Deli

Coquette, August, Mila Bayona all have lunch specials if you want to do some of the better places in town for cheap.


Casamento's is closed for the summer unfortunately
post #24 of 36
Try a NOLA Blonde Ale too....served in many locations
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole War Skule View Post
Casamento's is closed for the summer unfortunately
Shit, I always forget this. Coming in for the weekend, and I was looking forward to some oysters and an oyster load from Casamento's. What a great place. I've been meaning to try Mahoneys. Will have to do it. Coops used to just be a bar with good food. When did it become a destination? I've noticed lines out the door the last few times I've visited Nola. It must have been on the food network or some bullshit. It used to always be our fourth meal spot after finishing the night next door at Molly's, but I refuse to wait in line at a place that used to be dead and cross the street to Fiorellas instead. It's not as good as Coops. (Coops uses MSG in everything, fwiw, and BBQ sauce in their jambalaya. Still delicious).
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by airportlobby View Post
Shit, I always forget this. Coming in for the weekend, and I was looking forward to some oysters and an oyster load from Casamento's. What a great place.

I've been meaning to try Mahoneys. Will have to do it.

Coops used to just be a bar with good food. When did it become a destination? I've noticed lines out the door the last few times I've visited Nola. It must have been on the food network or some bullshit. It used to always be our fourth meal spot after finishing the night next door at Molly's, but I refuse to wait in line at a place that used to be dead and cross the street to Fiorellas instead. It's not as good as Coops. (Coops uses MSG in everything, fwiw, and BBQ sauce in their jambalaya. Still delicious).

Casamento's may be closed for the season but Luke has a pretty good raw bar, even though people are grumbling about the restaurant declining.

Mahoney's is worth a try, especially for some of their more interesting po-boy stuffings. You could always go to Park Way Bakery or Tracey's. Even the new owners of Parasol's are getting good reviews of their roast beef poboys.

I think Coops was on an episode of "best thing I ever ate", so that might explain the lines.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Casamento's may be closed for the season but Luke has a pretty good raw bar, even though people are grumbling about the restaurant declining.

Mahoney's is worth a try, especially for some of their more interesting po-boy stuffings. You could always go to Park Way Bakery or Tracey's. Even the new owners of Parasol's are getting good reviews of their roast beef poboys.

I think Coops was on an episode of "best thing I ever ate", so that might explain the lines.

Ah, I knew something like that had to happen to Coops. Fucking food tourists. I tried Luke the last time I was in town (February). Oysters were fine, but I found everything else underwhelming and much prefer the atmosphere of Casamentos. Luke feels like a hotel lobby. I hit up Tracey's recently, too; it was a good po-boy and neighborhood bar.

Any recs on a good oyster loaf? Casamento's version is great.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by airportlobby View Post
Ah, I knew something like that had to happen to Coops. Fucking food tourists.
I grew up in New Orleans -- perhaps you did too for all I know -- and have long realized that food tourism is big part of the local economy. Locals depend on it.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by airportlobby View Post

Any recs on a good oyster loaf? Casamento's version is great.

I've never really seen an oyster loaf outside of Casamento's, but I haven't actively looked for it either.
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
I grew up in New Orleans -- perhaps you did too for all I know -- and have long realized that food tourism is big part of the local economy. Locals depend on it.

Of course, but locals also depend on having a slew of dependable restaurants they go to that aren't frequented by shorts and flip flops fatties who worship Paul Dean. A big part of living in New Orleans is building that tourist/crowd free refuge. Coops used to be such a place for me - a dependable plate lunch or drunk meal, off the beaten path on Decatur. No more. Food culture (yelp/chowhound/food network, etc) I guess is to blame for fetishising this stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › New Orleans Tomorrow - any must hit spots?