• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple question:
In your opinion, what should a guy's liquid net worth be before he can "afford" $500 shoes? (Your answer is a number)
Conversely, below what level would your natural reaction to his $500 shoes be: What a jackass!

First, please note the use of quotations above.
This is not a literal question. (eg: When he has $500.01, duh!)
That said, $500.01 certainly is a valid answer.

I am using net worth and not salary because the latter can be a very weak gauge of one's financial solvency.
Free Cash Flow (FCF) paints a more direct picture.

I also deliberately picked the $500 threshhold, and not $300 for AE's, et al.
$500 is a different pricing paradigm entirely, and is probably 3 SD's over the average shoe expenditure.
At this level, one has deliberately groomed himself as a "serious shoe guy".

So, at what point does a guy have no business wearing $500 shoes, and be viewed as a fraud/idiot?

Alternate question: What other criteria would you use in deciding whether a guy can afford $500 shoes?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you stated, it depends more on his cash-flow than his LNW. After all bills are paid, investments are invested and savings are saved, you would need to have about $1000 in expendable income of which half could go to shoes.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
you can afford $500 when you have $500.
teacha.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Reevolving, you are an awful poster.

Why? This could lead to an interesting discussion. As a male prostitue, I'd much more readily invest in quality slim fit pants, than expensive shoes.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you would need enough discretionary income to pay for the $50 a jar Conditioner, the $30 a can polish, the $100-300 resole every year or two, $100 for Galoshes, then those costs (including the shoe) x4 for a minimal rotation.

viator

Reaction score
When you can wear them without fear of ruining them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
you can afford $500 when you have $500.
teacha.gif

Clearly this is the answer. I would say he is a jackass if he has less than $500 and he buys $500 shoes.

JGloger

Reaction score
Depends on other expenditures in addition to his cash flow. I could 'afford' $500 shoes if I dumped my girlfriend, lived on ramen and moved back in with my parents.
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGloger
Depends on other expenditures in addition to his cash flow. I could 'afford' $500 shoes if I dumped my girlfriend, lived on ramen and moved back in with my parents.
laugh.gif

Sounds like a great life.

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Clearly this is the answer. I would say he is a jackass if he has less than $500 and he buys $500 shoes.

Haven't you heard? Credit is the new cash.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
When you can wear them without fear of ruining them.
worship.gif
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
First, please note the use of quotations above. This is not a literal question. That said, $500.01 certainly is a valid answer.

francoamerican

Reaction score
I'm sorry but this is not a good question as there is no answer to it. It's like dividing by zero.

If you have access to food and housing and $500 on top of that and you want to spend $500 on shoes then I think you can afford them.

Net worth is pretty meaningless unless you are talking about retiring or becoming disabled.

FA

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGloger
laugh.gif

Clearly, it's a worthy sacrifice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads