• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luggage Advice

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're one of those people that travel for 4 or 5 days a week, what would you recommend for luggage? Specifically, I'm looking for two components.

One would be a bag for a "business-sized" laptop, an iPad, and my notepad case along with the bare accessories. I imagine this being the over the shoulder and then under the seat kind.

The other would be a carry-on with room for 1 or 2 jackets, a few shirts, ties, and pants, and a couple of shoes. I like compartmentalization for my random things (e.g. shaving stuff, socks, etc.).

My budget is ~$500 total.

Sazerac

Reaction score
There's an SF-approved way of doing this, and there's down & dirty approach. If you want to be stylish about it, there's a great range of excellent SAB luggage that will cost you a fortune. However, a good soft-sided roller carry-on of no more than 22" will be fine for domestic flights, or 20" for international.

Regardless of how much you spend, I have found these to be absolutely invaluable, particularly the folders. I put my shirts, sportcoats, and trousers in them. I put my underwear, socks, etc. in the cubes.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_solutions/

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
There's an SF-approved way of doing this, and there's down & dirty approach. If you want to be stylish about it, there's a great range of excellent SAB luggage that will cost you a fortune. However, a good soft-sided roller carry-on of no more than 22" will be fine for domestic flights, or 20" for international. Regardless of how much you spend, I have found these to be absolutely invaluable, particularly the folders. I put my shirts, sportcoats, and trousers in them. I put my underwear, socks, etc. in the cubes. http://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_solutions/
Thanks for the link. I honestly could care less if it's an SF approved gold-plated Rimowa with cashmere lined pockets. I just want it to be relatively durable and functional. I'm not going to post pictures of me posing at some airport with the luggage in MC WAYWRN.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
500 is alittle tight - I'd highly recomend a B&R upright garment bag, those retail for about 400 bucks, but will last you a very long time. then I would go with a B&R compact computer case that will ride on top. you will be able to get both on most flights. it might be pushing 700, but if you watch sales you might be able to get it down. those two, for 4 times a week travel in the US, will probably last you 10 years or more. the eagle creek units are very helpful, too, I use those.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I travel like crazy for work and have for over two decades. Have had all sorts of bags from expensive to not so much.
Right now my collection of luggage consists of mostly Tumi and Briggs & Riley pieces. Briggs can't be beat for function, durability and the all important warranty. Briggs truly has a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty.
I would recommend Briggs expandable rolling carry on. Go for the zippered expansion as opposed to the rigid expansion system they offer. The zipper type is lighter.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tumi Vapor. I really like it. Lightweight and great features.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tumi 22" i have one that's been passed down by my dad when i went to college...

he'd been using it since '92 and it's '11 and still going strong (no tears or anything).

pretty good imo since he travels at least once a month (for 1week or more)

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Agree with the B&R/Tumi recommendations above. I use various combinations of them depending on where/how long I'll be travelling. For a full week I tend to use a Tumi 22021 carry-on and a 26141 expandable briefcase. Those would be stretching the budget though. I agree with the Eagle Creek or similar packing cubes, pouches, etc. - they make it a lot easier to organise your stuff.

Both B&R and Tumi are excellent, tough and well organised. B&R is a bit cheaper and can often be found on discount, plus their warranty is a lot better.

I would try and stretch the budget if possible as I have found mid-range luggage to be a false economy if you're travelling often.

If the budget won't stretch, consider Victorinox which at RRP is about the same price as B&R but is almost always on big discount somewhere and is good quality.

FWIW I also have a Papworth (made by SAB) computer case in London Tan but it hardly ever gets used as it's quite heavy and although it's beautiful, it's just not as tough as the ballistic nylon stuff for heavy travel.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a B&R... very good quality but heavy and with the new bed bug scare carbon fiber is the way to go.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I had a B&R... very good quality but heavy and with the new bed bug scare carbon fiber is the way to go.

why? I hadn't heard that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not to be elitest, but there is a huge difference between flying once a month - 2 legs, and flying 4 or 5 times a week - 12- 20 legs a month. I have a storeroom full of damaged tumi bags, the new stuff simply isn't tough enough to survive serious traveling, and the warantee is ****.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
not to be elitest, but there is a huge difference between flying once a month - 2 legs, and flying 4 or 5 times a week - 12- 20 legs a month. I have a storeroom full of damaged tumi bags, the new stuff simply isn't tough enough to survive serious traveling, and the warantee is ****.
This would be 2 flights a week. One out to the client site and one back to the home office. There might be one more round trip during the week, but generally unlikely. This will, however, in all likelihood be at least the next two years of my life, so I want something that I won't be cursing in a year every time I pull it out of a cab and wheel it into the hotel. I'm liking the Tumi Vapor. I might get the packing cubes when I refine what I want to carry. Still wavering on the laptop case. Should I get a hard or soft carry-on? I'm not sure if it's over-hyped, but the bed bug thing plus more protection have me leaning towards hard case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads