• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People Should Be Able To Do Whatever They Want Outside Of A Job

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
While I am not looking to make this a political discussion, the recent events of Anthony Weiner has me scratching my head and saying to myself - who gives a ****?

I have always been of the position that as long as you are a doing your job, I don't care what you do outside of your job, even if that means snorting cocaine off the ass of some hooker. If you can come to work the next day and do a great job - have at it in your personal life. Of course, someone like Weiner shouldn't have to give up his job for what he did on Twitter, because he is doing a great job at his job. I didn't care about the scandals with Clinton and Eliot Spitzer either, since they were also doing a great job as far as I was concerned. If it's the lying about it, I don't care - it was none of our business in the first place.

Just like I don't care about Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen and a slew of others have had "scandals" in their personal lives. I can separate the art from the artist and enjoy Mel or Charlie as actors if I choose to see something they do. What Mel or Charlie say or do on their own time is none of my business.

I don't know if it's an American puritanical thing or a conservative thing, but as long as people are doing the job that they were hired to do, why would anyone care what they do in their private life?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Freewheeler
While I am not looking to make this a political discussion, the recent events of Anthony Weiner has me scratching my head and saying to myself - who gives a ****?

I have always been of the position that as long as you are a doing your job, I don't care what you do outside of your job, even if that means snorting cocaine off the ass of some hooker. If you can come to work the next day and do a great job - have at it in your personal life. Of course, someone like Weiner shouldn't have to give up his job for what he did on Twitter, because he is doing a great job at his job. I didn't care about the scandals with Clinton and Eliot Spitzer either, since they were also doing a great job as far as I was concerned. If it's the lying about it, I don't care - it was none of our business in the first place.

Just like I don't care about Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen and a slew of others have had "scandals" in their personal lives. I can separate the art from the artist and enjoy Mel or Charlie as actors if I choose to see something they do. What Mel or Charlie say or do on their own time is none of my business.

I don't know if it's an American puritanical thing or a conservative thing, but as long as people are doing the job that they were hired to do, why would anyone care what they do in their private life?

Hey Man, what bolded phrase does not belong in that list? Hint: it's the first one.

M.D.

Reaction score
Reminds me of Mitterand's response to an article of Paris Match when they discovered he had an extramarital child: "Et alors"

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Hey Man, what bolded phrase does not belong in that list? Hint: it's the first one.

Mentioning people who work in politics doesn't make it a political debate. They were simply used as examples just like Gibson and Sheen. Regular joes working the 7/11 are not ********** scandals.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mentioning people who work in politics doesn't make it a political debate. They were simply used as examples just like Gibson and Sheen. Regular joes working the 7/11 are not ********** scandals.

Hey Man, if you had tossed Larry Craig into that list and left out the part about it's a "conservative thing" you might have a leg to stand on. As it is, your ass is bumping floor. If you would like to categorically state that it is not a "conservative thing" and that all closet gay and drug using Repubs should be judged only by their job performance, then I'll buy it.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mel and Charlie are entertainers.

Weiner and the likes are politicians/elected leaders who will make decision that impact lives in a real way.

I personally like people who have that kind of power to show some character. Just some would be nice.

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey Man, if you had tossed Larry Craig into that list and left out the part about it's a "conservative thing" you might have a leg to stand on. As it is, your ass is bumping floor. If you would like to categorically state that it is not a "conservative thing" and that all closet gay and drug using Repubs should be judged only by their job performance, then I'll buy it.

You misunderstood my use of conservative. It was not meant as political since plenty of political conservatives have had sex scandals of their own. I meant conservative in the sense of being uptight and who get offended at things like Janet Jackson's nipple on TV or two guys kissing on Glee.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You misunderstood my use of conservative. It was not meant as political since plenty of political conservatives have had sex scandals of their own. I meant conservative in the sense of being uptight and who get offended at things like Janet Jackson's nipple on TV or two guys kissing on Glee.

So as long as a Republican politician is out there doing what a good Republican politician should be doing you're fine with him fighting gay marriage while being a closet gay? Waging that war on drugs while snorting coke?

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Mel and Charlie are entertainers.

Weiner and the likes are politicians/elected leaders who will make decision that impact lives in a real way.

I personally like people who have that kind of power to show some character. Just some would be nice.

Weiner has shown incredible character - on the job and that's the point.

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So as long as a Republican politician is out there doing what a good Republican politician should be doing you're fine with him fighting gay marriage while being a closet gay? Waging that war on drugs while snorting coke?

No, that makes you a hypocrite. Weiner never ran for office on issues of sexual morality or to legislate in that regard like David Vitter and John Ensign did, so it's completely different. He didn't do anything in his personal life that he is fighting in his political career.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Pio seems to have decided to derail the thread. I agree with the op.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No, that makes you a hypocrite. Weiner never ran for office on issues of sexual morality or to legislate in that regard like David Vitter and John Ensign did, so it's completely different. He didn't do anything in his personal life that he is fighting in his political career.

I knew it. You never said anything about hypocrisy being involved. Here's what you said:

I have always been of the position that as long as you are a doing your job, I don't care what you do outside of your job, even if that means snorting cocaine off the ass of some hooker. If you can come to work the next day and do a great job - have at it in your personal life.

One can expect a Republican's politician job will be to represent the desires of his party and constituents in the affairs of government. If he/she represents those needs well, and actions in their personal life go against that, who the **** should care? They are doing their job. Keep your dirty nose out of their personal life!

I knew this was you, Hey Man, and I knew it was political.

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I knew it. You never said anything about hypocrisy being involved. Here's what you said:

One can expect a Republican's politician job will be to represent the desires of his party and constituents in the affairs of government. If he/she represents those needs well, and actions in their personal life go against that, who the **** should care? They are doing their job. Keep your dirty nose out of their personal life!

I knew this was you, Hey Man, and I knew it was political.

They are not doing their job if on the job they are making laws and spending tax money on fighting issues that they partake in during their personal lives. Weiner wasn't a hypocrite, so he was doing his job and his private life should not be our concern.

If someone is gay in their private life, they are not doing their job or representing the party, by going on a crusade against homosexuals and gay rights. You are doing your job when you actually believe in the things you are fighting for or against. I don't care if a Republican or a Democrat enjoys **********s after work and if they want to keep it a secret, I am totally fine with that - but if you are exposed, it looks bad when you have made it your top agenda to fight the gays at every turn and it confirms that you weren't doing your job.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They are not doing their job if on the job they are making laws and spending tax money on fighting issues that they partake in during their personal lives. Weiner wasn't a hypocrite, so he was doing his job and his private life should not be our concern.

If someone is gay in their private life, they are not doing their job or representing the party, by going on a crusade against homosexuals and gay rights. You are doing your job when you actually believe in the things you are fighting for or against. I don't care if a Republican or a Democrat enjoys **********s after work and if they want to keep it a secret, I am totally fine with that - but if you are exposed, it looks bad when you have made it your top agenda to fight the gays at every turn and it confirms that you weren't doing your job.

WTF are you talking about?

If it's the lying about it, I don't care - it was none of our business in the first place.

You are doing your job when you do what well represents your employers. What you do in your private life has nothing to do with your job performance.

Oh, Hey Man. You have not improved in your ability to think, have you?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

You sound fat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads