• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lifts that I can do with a strained shoulder

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Actually I SPRAINED IT the other day. Started the thread before I checked my terminology.

I'm thinking I can do some of the leg machines, arm curls, etc. Is there a way I can do squats that won't put stress on my shoulders?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How bad is the strain? Can you lift your arm above your shoulder? Pain levels when trying to do lifts/stuff using da shoulder.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming from someone who trained through a gimp shoulder and made it worse, go run outside or something. Do lower body machine stuff; don't think about doing anything tangentially involving your shoulder or you will regret it. promise.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad at all. It's a really small muscle that's strained (or maybe sprained, I forget which is which) and it mostly hurts in my neck. It really doesn't hurt unless I turn my neck and I can raise my arms fine with just a little discomfort. I mostly just don't want it to get worse.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty minimal... Likely not going to get you out of routine for too long. Maybe It'll force you to rest when you haven't been. I dunno. But taking a few day or a week of wouldn't hurt.

You're not dumb, you keep other exercise up and maintain the diet you want and I doubt this injury will set you back much. Oh. Ice too.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a week off at least... I had a rotator cuff muscle sprain, tried to power through it, it got worse. Took a week off, came back, it felt a little funky at first but now it's fine. When it comes to the shoulder though it's best not to chance it.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could try front squats with straps or bulgarian split squats.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Take a week off at least... I had a rotator cuff muscle sprain, tried to power through it, it got worse. Took a week off, came back, it felt a little funky at first but now it's fine. When it comes to the shoulder though it's best not to chance it.

This. Its one of those vital muscles that is part of a lot of back and chest exercises.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All pulling motion exercises should be fine. I would be careful with push exercises. They always end up involving the shoulder girdle and depending on how bad your shoulder is, you may want to be a bit careful.

And of course legs.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be careful even with pulling movements; if you're deadlifting, you've got the weight hanging off of your shoulders. I would avoid front squats as suggested earlier, especially if you're using the clean grip. Honestly, what do you have to gain? Shelve the lifting for awhile, you won't wither away into nothing. I don't know your particular situation - you know how injured you are, but I don't see what you have to gain from half-assing particular exercises when your recovery would be assured by simply taking a break. Best exercise would probably be rubbing one out to Shay Laren
laugh.gif
Not having fucked-up shoulders > half-assed progress on limited exercises. My .02

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Rest it.

You can make up any strength you lose very quickly, but if you ******* up more and have to take a long hiatus and/or have surgery because you wanted a few weeks worth of results, you could spend a year or longer trying to get yourself back in shape.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. FWIW I woke up this morning and realized it wasn't as bad as I thought. Went and did some of the leg machines (kind of ridiculous how easy a leg press is compared to a squat) and will probably rest it until next week, when it will probably be fine. I think I will just do some core work tomorrow and maybe some preacher curls or the like.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Thanks for the advice guys. FWIW I woke up this morning and realized it wasn't as bad as I thought. Went and did some of the leg machines (kind of ridiculous how easy a leg press is compared to a squat) and will probably rest it until next week, when it will probably be fine. I think I will just do some core work tomorrow and maybe some preacher curls or the like.

Have you actually seen a doctor? Not that you necessarily have to, but just keep in mind that biceps tendonitis is felt in the shoulder, in which case preacher curls wouldn't be the best thing for it. That said, If your 100% sure of your diagnosis, then I wouldn't about it.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pull is in the trap, not the deltoid. And I can pinpoint exactly where the inflammation is, so I'm pretty sure it's not biceps. But I probably shouldn't mess with it anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads