or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › How did you decide a career?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How did you decide a career?

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
Trying to figure a major to choose, currently completed 2 years of college and have been stalling on picking a major cause I'm still not sure.

How did you guys decide?

Did you consider going to graduate school or is it required in your career for advancement?

Personally I'm not looking to go to graduate school, I have somethign else in mind what I want to do, but I need a stable, okay paying career that I can work in the meantime/alongside the other thing I want to do.
post #2 of 49
I dislike cops, so other than being a meth-dealing militia member the only opportunity I have to beat up on them is in Court.
post #3 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoney View Post
Trying to figure a major to choose, currently completed 2 years of college and have been stalling on picking a major cause I'm still not sure.

How did you guys decide?

Did you consider going to graduate school or is it required in your career for advancement?

Personally I'm not looking to go to graduate school, I have somethign else in mind what I want to do, but I need a stable, okay paying career that I can work in the meantime/alongside the other thing I want to do.

Given your parameters you want something were the undergrad can be a terminal degree and a field in high demand. This would give you everything from computer science to nursing to accounting to engineering. Pick something you like with these parameters.
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoney View Post
the other thing I want to do.

Why would this "other thing" not be your career?
post #5 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post
I dislike cops, so other than being a meth-dealing militia member the only opportunity I have to beat up on them is in Court.

I don't like cops either, but the whole system is the problem. Assuming your post is extremely serious.

Which it isn't, but..I wouldn't want to spend my time with people I dislike, whether I'm watching them fall or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Given your parameters you want something were the undergrad can be a terminal degree and a field in high demand. This would give you everything from computer science to nursing to accounting to engineering. Pick something you like with these parameters.

I've thought about those, but I don't want to do accounting. Engineering and Computer Science might above my head in math, and no on nursing.

I've thought about marketing but not sure.
post #6 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj100 View Post
Why would this "other thing" not be your career?

It might, hopefully it is. It'll start out part time and I'll gradually move up because it doesn't involve a formal education.

But it doesn't matter right now because I have time to do both easily, so I might as well stay in school and get a good degree.
post #7 of 49
some people dont figure out what they may enjoy profesionaly until later on after being in the workplace for a few years. the best advise i could give is to see where your strong suits and interests intersect and choose something in that area.

for example, i like money and numbers and am pretty good with them. so im persuing a career in accounting.

good luck.
post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Given your parameters you want something were the undergrad can be a terminal degree and a field in high demand. This would give you everything from computer science to nursing to accounting to engineering. Pick something you like with these parameters.

Not much parameters; this is pretty much it: nursing, accounting and engineering (I am inclined to say probably only computer engineering could be terminal). There are some others depending on your region. I know that in the central valley in California, all things agricultural can lead to a career. Chico state has some interesting majors I haven't seen in other state schools for this reason.
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale View Post
Not much parameters; this is pretty much it: nursing, accounting and engineering (I am inclined to say probably only computer engineering could be terminal). There are some others depending on your region. I know that in the central valley in California, all things agricultural can lead to a career. Chico state has some interesting majors I haven't seen in other state schools for this reason.

Agreed. I get the feeling the OP was looking for a silver bullet answer though. Given his reply it seems he wants a degree without a lot of work to earn and he's pretty sure he doesn't want a job with much effort. /shrug.
post #10 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Agreed. I get the feeling the OP was looking for a silver bullet answer though. Given his reply it seems he wants a degree without a lot of work to earn and he's pretty sure he doesn't want a job with much effort. /shrug.

I wouldn't go that far, I just have other dreams.

I think I could easily do accounting, but it bores me too much.
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoney View Post
I wouldn't go that far, I just have other dreams.

I think I could easily do accounting, but it bores me too much.


If it's easy for you, I suggest you do it. Stable, boring jobs are underrated.
post #12 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post
If it's easy for you, I suggest you do it. Stable, boring jobs are underrated.

Maybe, I have a small interest in marketing and economics.

Economics you have to have a graduate degree though. But marketing is more loose in that respect.

Is anyone in the Marketing field here?
post #13 of 49
Software Engineering requires little math compared to other technical majors. Most of the time you are just adding 1.
post #14 of 49
Is it too late to get a vocational degree? Not being a jerk here, just that it sounds like this is what you want (this my day job, but I am really....).

From what it sounds, like above posters said, you sound like you don't care much about effort. Don't expect to find a job right out of college with an accounting degree, especially with this attitude. My cousin majored in accounting in a state school and he tells me it's competitive as hell. Internship positions are few and the elite accounting firms and business management companies only want the best.

I suppose nursing would be the "easiest" but most nursing programs are also now very competitive.

A college degree is not a vocational degree, is pretty much what I should say.
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoney View Post
Maybe, I have a small interest in marketing and economics.

Economics you have to have a graduate degree though. But marketing is more loose in that respect.

Is anyone in the Marketing field here?

Economics and Marketing degrees get you no where after graduation. Accounting has immediate impact.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › How did you decide a career?