or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 5 - Page 6

post #76 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
Once I have Pandora up and running, I hardly ever have any issues with reception interrupting my music. They cache some of the song so brief interruptions won't kill it for you. It's not like when you are making a phone call were a brief interruption in signal will drop the call. Unless you are out in the middle of nowhere, you should be fine.

Again, streaming is not meant to replace local storage and MP3/ACC. It's an added feature for when you want to use it.

You don't live in Manhattan. Between the subway and spotty AT&T service, running Pandora is sometimes impossible.
post #77 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't want to rely on cell phone reception to be able to listen to my music?
You're not the only one. No cellphone reception = no music, and if one is outside of the US, or travels outside of the US, again NO music. I just can't see the advantages of putting ones music in a place where it might not be accessible. I just have a 32 GB SD card in my phone, all my music is accessible all the time. Sent from Tapatalk.
post #78 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
I'm going to add some general thoughts on iOS 5 later, but for now I must say I am not impressed at all with iTunes Match. No streaming. What's the point? All it does is let you download, from the cloud, the music you already own to any registered device. I only have an iPhone and a Macbook, so how is this useful to me? All my music is already backed up and synced.

Without streaming it won't save space on my iPhone so I really could care less.

Why does it all have to be cutting edge, never before seen technology to be great? That's great you have your music backed up. I am willing to be there are plenty of people who do not-myself included. I will love to have my music backed up EFFORTLESSLY. I will also like to have music that I loaded from CD's have the same cover art and info available as my purchased music.

Sometimes the point is not to re-invent the wheel; rather it is make the wheel better. Take Facetime for example. Apple did not invent video chat but they put it in every iPhone and iPad 2 users hand and made it easy to use.

For a software update this latest from Apple was pretty special.
post #79 of 103
just installed this on ipod. cool, i can't do anything since itunes sync doesn't work (even wtih new 10.5 beta itunes) because it's not registered with developer whatever. gotta go back to downgrade now.
post #80 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie5566 View Post
Why does it all have to be cutting edge, never before seen technology to be great? That's great you have your music backed up. I am willing to be there are plenty of people who do not-myself included. I will love to have my music backed up EFFORTLESSLY. I will also like to have music that I loaded from CD's have the same cover art and info available as my purchased music. Sometimes the point is not to re-invent the wheel; rather it is make the wheel better. Take Facetime for example. Apple did not invent video chat but they put it in every iPhone and iPad 2 users hand and made it easy to use. For a software update this latest from Apple was pretty special.
They are not backing up anything with iTunes Match. They are giving you 256kbps AAC files of the songs you have in iTunes. If you have all your files as MP3 for maximum compatibility, you get AAC instead. If you decided you wanted better quality then 256kbps (as I did) and import all your music as 320kbps or higher then you are being downgraded. It's not a backup. A real back-up system give you a copy of the exact files.
post #81 of 103
Been meaning to share some of my general thoughts on the update.

1. The new notification system is by far the most welcome upgrade. I'm shocked it took them this long to finally make one that does not completely suck. I'm really looking forward to getting that on my iPhone.

2. The new READER functionality built into Safari has potential to be huge. It's also going to piss off a lot of websites and blogs by killing page-views and general ad revenue. Don't be surprised if sites start trying to break the functionality in their code. You could end up with a small war between Apple and online sites with each trying to outdo each other.

3. Reminders makes me laugh. It's another one of those no-brainer updates that you wonder what took Apple so long. It's ability to use your location to trigger reminders is really, really cool.

4. PC FREE is Apple's first step in making iOS a true stand alone platform. Not having to ever sync with a computer finally makes it practical for someone to use an iPad as their main/only computing device.

5. Delta updates being pushed over the air will be great too. No more 700meg files to worry about everytime Apple needs to fix something.

Overall iOS 5 is a solid update even if it does feel like for the first time Apple was playing catch up to their competitors. It also speaks to how mature the OS is at this point. You can tell that Apple is running short on "big" ideas to add as features because of this.
post #82 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
3. Reminders makes me laugh. It's another one of those no-brainer updates that you wonder what took Apple so long. It's ability to use your location to trigger reminders is really, really cool. 4. PC FREE is Apple's first step in making iOS a true stand alone platform. Not having to ever sync with a computer finally makes it practical for someone to use an iPad as their main/only computing device.
3. Because after the devices' initial releases and associated frenzies there needed to be a second wave and the bells and whistles will ensure that. 4. finally, except for all the impracticalities of trying to use the ipad as a computing device. are you a registered developer ? kinda sucks not to be able to sync with itunes and just have the new os to play with for now. downgraded right away and will patiently wait. because it still looks incredibly fun !
post #83 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahanshah View Post
3. Because after the devices' initial releases and associated frenzies there needed to be a second wave and the bells and whistles will ensure that.

4. finally, except for all the impracticalities of trying to use the ipad as a computing device.

are you a registered developer ? kinda sucks not to be able to sync with itunes and just have the new os to play with for now. downgraded right away and will patiently wait. because it still looks incredibly fun !

Nope, but I have been able to get a hold of and install beta releases of iOS before. My understanding from most of what I have heard is it's best to wait for now. Seems like it's really buggy at the moment.

Interesting article about how Apple is missing the boat with iCloud:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/13/i...strategy-flaw/
post #84 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
Overall iOS 5 is a solid update even if it does feel like for the first time Apple was playing catch up to their competitors. It also speaks to how mature the OS is at this point. You can tell that Apple is running short on "big" ideas to add as features because of this.
These two points are contradictory. I suspect that some of the new features such as notifications were expensive fundamental redesigns of iOS otherwise Apple would have added them a long time ago. They did it now only because they were forced to do it by competition from Android, etc.
post #85 of 103
also because now pretty much every app wants to send push notifications and it's a lot more intrusive than it used to be.
post #86 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
These two points are contradictory. I suspect that some of the new features such as notifications were expensive fundamental redesigns of iOS otherwise Apple would have added them a long time ago. They did it now only because they were forced to do it by competition from Android, etc.
Not really. I would argue if the majority of features you are adding are ones that your competitors are already doing and you are having to add them so to stay competitive then it shows you are running out of "big/innovative" ideas for new features. Hell Apple's new implementation of notifications is clearly derived from Android and one of the popular jailbroken apps. Maybe they will push the industry forward again with iOS 6, but 5 really didn't have that innovative feeling you usually get from Apple updates. Don't take this as a jab against Apple. It's not, so much as a reality check on the state of iOS and the mobile industry. If anything it shows the platform is reaching maturity. I will certainly be happy when iOS 5 is released and I can run it on my iPhone 4.
post #87 of 103
one thing i wish they'd do with this cloud thing is give you the ability to direct purchases to devices from itunes. i don't want every app/song i purchase to automatically go to my phone and ipad when enabled. ideally, i would like to make the purchase in itunes and then have the ability to push it to a selected device from there without having to give universal permission for stuff to go to the device.
post #88 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post
one thing i wish they'd do with this cloud thing is give you the ability to direct purchases to devices from itunes.

i don't want every app/song i purchase to automatically go to my phone and ipad when enabled. ideally, i would like to make the purchase in itunes and then have the ability to push it to a selected device from there without having to give universal permission for stuff to go to the device.

you can turn off the auto sync, then just go to your other device and select the same app or song and install it.
post #89 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfador View Post
you can turn off the auto sync, then just go to your other device and select the same app or song and install it.

Yeah but if I buy something at the office I don't want to have to remember to DL it when I get home. I'd like to just hit a button that says "send to iPad" or something. The way it is now, if I get a phone app it's gonna go on the iPad too. A filter would be nice
post #90 of 103
When is this going to be available to the general public?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home