or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 5 - Page 4

post #46 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Unfortunately, RIM will continue to survive for as long as corporations insist on using BBs instead of other smartphones. And we all know how shitty and slow IT departments are at upgrading anything.

+1. VERY SLOW.
post #47 of 103
I still don't get what the iCloud is all about ? Is it just to keep all your devices in sync or is it more than that ??
post #48 of 103
BTW the cloud already works with apps. Go into the iTunes store on your phone or pad, tap on 'updates' and you should see a new button at the top of the screen called 'purchases'. Tap on that and you can see a list of all your app purchases, including those that aren't on the device, and you can download them as needed. In addition, a new version of iTunes rolled out today. The only significant change seems to be that the bookstore is integrated into it, so you can now buy books from your computer in addition to from your device (though why you would want to is another question).
post #49 of 103
I'm going to add some general thoughts on iOS 5 later, but for now I must say I am not impressed at all with iTunes Match. No streaming. What's the point? All it does is let you download, from the cloud, the music you already own to any registered device. I only have an iPhone and a Macbook, so how is this useful to me? All my music is already backed up and synced.

Without streaming it won't save space on my iPhone so I really could care less.
post #50 of 103
Our infrastructure is not capable of handling streaming on a mass scale at this point. Not only do carriers no longer offer unlimited internet plans, but fifty million Americans streaming simultaneously would completely throttle their bandwidth. It would be like using AT&T in New York, but everywhere and ten times worse. It is useful if you have a 100GB+ music library. You have access to whatever you want at any time. While you have to download the album(s) or song(s) in question before listening to them, but at least you don't have to pick and choose what to sync with your device or not. I am not a musicophile and I don't have an enormous library but even I can see the advantages. My girlfriend is considering signing up just to backup her massive collection in case her hard drive dies. I suspect that in 3-4 years this will give way to an actual streaming service like Spotify or Pandora.
post #51 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Our infrastructure is not capable of handling streaming on a mass scale at this point. Not only do carriers no longer offer unlimited internet plans, but fifty million Americans streaming simultaneously would completely throttle their bandwidth. It would be like using AT&T in New York, but everywhere and ten times worse.

It is useful if you have a 100GB+ music library. You have access to whatever you want at any time. You do have to download the album(s) or song(s) in question before listening to them, but at least you don't have to pick and choose what to sync with your device or not.

I am not a musicophile and I don't have an enormous library but even I can see the advantages. My girlfriend is considering signing up just to backup her massive collection in case her hard drive dies.

I suspect that in 3-4 years this will give way to an actual streaming service like Spotify or Pandora.

Google Music and Amazon's Cloud service both offer streaming as an option. Almost every iPhone owner I know uses Pandora frequently. I don't find this a good excuse for leaving out this feature that would make the service much more competitive. It's not like I am asking for iTunes Match to be a streaming only service. Just keep it the way it is now and add streaming as an option. Give the user that choice if you are going to charge them $25 a month.

Just my two cents.
post #52 of 103
Well Amazon's service is more expensive than Apple's, which may keep usage down. Google hasn't announced their pricing yet. I don't use Pandora (not available outside the US afaik), but I have no interest in running up against my pitifully small monthly bandwidth cap and getting charged $5 for each additional megabyte to stream music. I blame the carriers.
post #53 of 103
Does anyone really care about BBM?

Is that really what is keeping the lights on at RIM? It seems pretty dumb to me to have a communication method tied directly to a specific device (as opposed to being ported with your phone number). I have a friend who bought a used blackberry and now gets all these weird BBM messages that seem to be directed to a male escort.

Considering all of these phones can interface with aim/gchat/etc as well as normal text and email...why would I want vendor lock-in that only lets me talk to other blackberry (or iphone in this case) users?
post #54 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
Google Music and Amazon's Cloud service both offer streaming as an option. Almost every iPhone owner I know uses Pandora frequently. I don't find this a good excuse for leaving out this feature that would make the service much more competitive. It's not like I am asking for iTunes Match to be a streaming only service. Just keep it the way it is now and add streaming as an option. Give the user that choice if you are going to charge them $25 a month. Just my two cents.
it's 25/year. it's also good if you've pirated a bunch of stuff because, if it's in the itunes database, it will be replaced by a 256 AAC version. http://www.cultofmac.com/how-steve-j...042#more-99042 i'm on the fence about streaming (if it's really included or not is a bit confusing -
Quote:
This new service will help people become more comfortable with the idea of streaming their music.
) because of sound quality and signal strength. i do like the cloud because i won't have to be near my computer to handle a majority of my library. i always have 'compulsive song syndrome' so it'll be nice to grab stuff on the fly. also, it's doing more than the 100/yr for mobileme is doing for a fraction of the cost so that's nice. edit: so apparently it will stream (they call it 'push") music from the cloud to your device over wi-fi only. you can purchase things the same way as now (wi-fi or 3G) and direct them to a device (i.e. purchase it on your phone and have it DL to ipad) rather than have them go to the device you're using. comes with 5GB free storage for things NOT in their library (music, apps, books) so if you have stuff that isn't in the itunes database, you can upload it. anything you bought from them or they already have will not count against the 5GB.
post #55 of 103
http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/...ing-on-offer-2
Quote:
At present, iTunes in the Cloud is set to be launched in the US only,
So Apple's music in the cloud is fail, just like Google and Amazon.... while the rest of the world goes on getting its music from BitTorrent. Still no incentive for me to buy an iOS device yet.
post #56 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasondisplay01 View Post
the UI is getting close to android dasondisplay
The UI of the forthcoming OS X Lion, seems to be rather close to Windows. A screenful of icons, something which probably looks familiar to most Windows users. Do we really need Garageband, Safari, iPhoto, etc, icons both in the dock and on the screen?
post #57 of 103
I don't understand having anything on the dock full stop. Command + Spacebar brings up Spotlight (or Quicksilver) and I can type faster than I can hunt and click on an icon if I want to launch a program.
post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post
The UI of the forthcoming OS X Lion, seems to be rather close to Windows.


A screenful of icons, something which probably looks familiar to most Windows users.

Do we really need Garageband, Safari, iPhoto, etc, icons both in the dock and on the screen?

It's for demonstration proposes... Lion looks nothing like Windows.
post #59 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
It's for demonstration proposes... Lion looks nothing like Windows.
I see a screenful of icons, just like one typically sees on a Windows computer. So if it's for 'demonstration purposes', I wonder why Apple has shown it that way then? IMO it looks cluttered and rather un-Apple like. BTW with Windows 7, one can pin applications to the taskbar, just like one can do with the dock on OS X. Seems to me that certain aspects of both Microsoft's and Apple's OSs are getting very similar. I've also heard that an 'app store' might be coming to Windows at sometime. Myself, I'm both a Mac and a PC, but NOT iOS.
post #60 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by esswhykay View Post
I don't understand having anything on the dock full stop. Command + Spacebar brings up Spotlight (or Quicksilver) and I can type faster than I can hunt and click on an icon if I want to launch a program.
Now I keep my frequently used applications like Chrome, Skype, Mail, QQ, iPhoto, etc. in the dock on my Macbook Pro, with no icons on the screen. Although I do use Spotlight sometimes to find particular documents and files.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home